Powerflex P bushes
  • Register
  • Help

Default Powerflex P bushes

I decided to get myself some powerflex P bushes and also the front ones for the lower control arms on the S16. Bought from an online shop in the UK, turned up within a week.

I opened them up only to find that one of the P Bushes had been assembled incorrectly. They are offset to give some positive camber and therefore handed, Unfortunately the A bush had been pushed in from the wrong side. (see pics 1 and 2). I was having all sorts of horrible visions about returning them to the web shop delays etc, so decided to email Powerflex. As it turns out their warranty requires that you deal with them direct so it was the right thing to do

I sent them an email with pictures showing the problem. They responded immediately apologising for the problem and suggested I could try pushing the bush out and then back in the right way around, but that if I damaged it in the process they would ship me a new one. However I didn't think I could get it out (they are as stiff as a board, and there is nowhere to gain purchase on the back side) I told them I didn't think I could get it out and they sent me a new bush and suggested cutting the wrongly inserted one, which I should then be able to push out.

The new bush turned up promptly and this afternoon I cut the lip off the old bush and was then able to push it out.

New one went in quite easily once I put a piece of 4 x 2 across it

Advertisement

So they are now all right to go.

Hats off to Powerflex for first rate customer service!!

Anyone who has thought about getting some of these and read stuff on the UK forums saying that they are way softer than OEM bushes (soft as butter I've seen written), it is a crock!! These things are very hard!! I can barely flex them with my hands at all (probably less than 1/2 mm deformation, and only then at the thinnest point).

The purple front bushes are a bit softer but no softer than other PU bushes I've had in the past from nolathane.

The only problem now is going to be when to put them in I've done nothing on the car the last two weekends for various reasons, and this weekend I have my nephews 4th birthday Sat and Mothers day Sunday... I've also still got to put the main seal in, flywheel back on, clutch and find a suitable time with Adrian for rebuilding the gearbox!! So it might be a little while yet before I can report on how the installation goes

From what I have read the removal of the old bushes is a bit of a pain so no doubt I'll have some tales to tell once I get to it.

1st and 2nd pics show the original problem.
    3rd pic shows the cut bush, the new bush and the bracket
    4th pic just a picture of the bracket.
    5th pic new bush installed as it is supposed to be.
    6th pic is the front bushes.

Tony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0682.jpg   Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0684.jpg   Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0709.jpg   Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0713.jpg   Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0715.jpg   Powerflex P bushes-dsc_0716.jpg  

Last edited by Wintermute; 11th May 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: fix spelling and picture legend.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thought I'd post an update as these have finally been installed

I needed to get the strut tops done so got Paul V to do them at the same time. I also recently put some new drop links in. All of the lack of confidence in the handling has gone now I also got new top and bottom engine mounts which has made a huge difference to the quietness of the car, I couldn't believe it. I had in the past felt that new engine mounts affected the handling, might have been psychosomatic but I hypothesised that with worn mounts the engine mass shifting could be throwing things off.

Because there were so many changes. New strut tops, new drop links new engine mounts, and the new p-bushes, and because it had been sub optimcal for quite a long time I have no way of saying whether they are better or worse than original equipment, but the car is back to being a pleasure to drive.

It is much better now over rough surfaces and torque steer is gone. The drop links went in a couple of months ago and I did note an improvement then as well so the combo of new strut tops and these bushes made quite a difference.

No harshness apparent either.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Nice job done, I have a question can i use same on my 306 XSi 1996 ?

Yes as far as I am aware they are the same across the entire 306 range You could email powerflex and check, they are very helpful

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information