Washing machine sound!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Washing machine sound!

hi guys,
    yup.i changed the engine oil etc2.thanks for those that helped. Now there's another problem. When i start my mota, there's seems to be a "wis wash" kind of sound coming from the block, the far left of the cam cover. sounds like when yer trying to walk in wet rubber shoes. Anyone knows what this problem is and how i can rectify it?? thanks for any advice given.

cheers
    Toasted

Advertisement

A cam belt on the way out? (ouch!)

A regular water pump or other belt problem?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

FT,

If in doubt with anything inside that cam belt cover, err on the side of safety. Snapped cambelts = major damage = very large repair bills.
    Drop the cover off and check. May be the cam belt tensioner being a worry or a loose cambelt slapping against the cover.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole
    hmmm,
    thnaks for the quick response guys....but if i snapped the cambelts, won't the car stopped moving?? i could still run the car though...just that..there's some noise...however...will pop the cover and see what happens then?? snapped cambelts means....'snapped' rite?? lierally ?? as in tear into 2?? what must i look and check when i see inside the cover?? sorry guys..but i'm a real amatuer when comes to this...thanks for any help yet again.

cheers

FT,

If you're not real experienced with cam belts/multi valve engines, I would suggest a trip to French Connection and see David Cavanagh. He is a fairly regular contributor on this board, a Peugeot owner and an enthusiast to boot.
    Might save some big bucks in the long run.

Alan S

[quote]Originally posted by FrenchToast:
    <strong>hmmm,
    ..but if i snapped the cambelts, won't the car stopped moving?? i could still run the car though...just that..there's some noise...
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

If you snap the cam belt the car will certainly stop moving. Different bits will stop moving at different speeds though. The valves will pretty well stop moving instantly. The pistons won't. The combined effect of this variation in things may well be bent valves, holed pistons, damaged heads.

But even worse can be a cam belt slipping. Just imagine the effects of your valves being driven down by the belt into the spot where the piston is coming up and you can get the idea!

I'm by no means certain that this is your problem, but if the cam belt hasn''t been replaced at its regular service intervals I'd be catching the bus to the nearest dealer to get a replacement !

Cheers

Rod

[ 06 February 2002: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</p>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Tadpole
    hey guys,
    thanks for the advice, i will get it to the nearest dealer as soon...the problem could be something else, cos isn't the cambelt suppose to last longer that this..its has only done 45000kms though. Anyways, wouldn't want to take any chances...will get to it as soon.
    thanks guys

cheers

Tadpole
    hey guys,
    managed to take off the cover...took a peek inside...didn't start he engine yet as was sinced advised better to be safe than sorry.
    the cambelt was intact...not broken or slippin or anythings...wonder what might be wrong. got to wait fo mechanic to come by tomorrow. hope its nothing major. However....did try to clean up the engine bay.looks sparkiing clean and new now.

cheers

Toasty,

It probably is something far less significant than the cam belt, but its not worth talking the chance. When a cam belt 'slips" its not like a fan belt. All it has to do is become stretched enough to jump a cog or two under load. If the noise was definitely coming from this area you would probably suspect a problematic tensioner with a belt of that age rather than the belt itself, but the consequences could potentially be the same. I don't know what the service interval on your car is, but this is one of those things that HAS to be done by the book or better. Some cars need replacement at 50,000K, others at 100,000K, or in between.

There are plenty of other less serious things that could produce the noise you talk about (fan belts, pump belts, air con belts, maybe even a leaky manifold! - your post doesn't actually tell us what car we are are talking about here - was it a 306?) , but it isn't worth the risk.

Stick with "better safe than sorry". Its a much better philosophy than "suck it and see" in this situation.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Tadpole
    hey rod,
    thanks again for your quick reply...and yes its a 306..rather new model though.so waonder what might be wrong.really hope its nothing major...maybe the cam gears or whatever just need some lubrication....the noise is however coming from that area...so as least i pin-pointed the problem somewhere....hope the mechanic can make some time to come over tomorrow...i'll update after that.thanks again for the advice given.

cheers

FT,

FWIW, I have heard of cambelts stretching enough to actually slap against the cover.
    Probably the scariest one was a guy in a country town in Queensland many moons ago who bought a new Citroen BX 16 valve; not a cheap car, around the 50 grand mark. Was going for a drive with his wife and commented that the motor made a funny noise and seemed rough. Next thing there was a bang and it all stopped. Turned out that field mice had built a nest inside the cover and poor old "mickey" had managed to get betwixt belt and cog and blew the whole shooting match. Fortunately, understanding dealer managed to find a plausible story and got it fixed under warranty
    So they don't always have to have big k's on the clock to justify a belt change.

Alan S

1000+ Posts
    Hi Toast,

Cam belts normally last about 60,000 to 80,000 km - your manual should say. When they start to get suspect, the teeth gain a rounded profile in cross section, whereas they're square when new. They also get a very silverish shine on the teeth and usually on the reverse (flat) side from the aluminium deposited from the pulleys and tensioner. Finally, if you bend them very sharp (a bit hard while they're still fitted!) you might see the beginning of cracks. What the noise could be is the teeth beginning to squeak in the drive pulleys because of wear/shine - like a rubbery squeak - because they no longer fit the profile on the pulleys. Even though it's a bit early, I'd change it to be safe. I've only heard of one car escaping a broken belt without major valve damage.

Interestingly, they normally break when you are starting/stopping the car, as this puts the strongest jerk on the belt.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I had a similar problem with a TC Gemini that I owned a few years ago (before I saw the light and bought a 504!). I used to thrash the thing on dirt roads and as I lived on a dirt road this used to happen every day. One day during a right good caning the thing started running like a dog. I spent hours checking the timing, plugs, leads, compression etc. I lifted the rocker cover off to have a look at the the valves and rocker gapping, still nothing wrong. I finally checked the timing chain and found it had jumped a tooth, the tensioner had let go and the thrashing had caused it to jump.

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information