Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon7 Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected

Hi Guys

I stumbled across this excellent site last night. I have just purchased a 88 505 GR in pretty good knick and had a few questions about it.

Advertisement

I would like to know the model number of the engine but haven't been able to find anything on the net about the GR injected model and there isn't anything around the engine bay leaping out and saying hi. The fuel pump is REALLY loud and I wonder if this is common on 505's ?.

On the weird, what happened there front. This evening when turning around in a cul-de-sac the car make a squeaking noise and just cut out. After the car cut out it started straight back up again.

Its really fun to drive but the auto could do with another gear for the open road, wondering many people out there have changed the auto for a 5 speed ?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

1000+ Posts

Hi-Think the e/no down on l.h.s.front on a 45degree part on the block casting-fuel pump-either drive it till it dies or go to your local a/market parts guy-Holden elec pump-same also as R/R-no not Rolls but another Pommie boat Anchor -the Range Rover.
    Squeal could be p.stg belt doing a slip-or another belt-may have been coincidental with an intermittent fuel pump fade.Fuel pump sounds like it will die sooner than later.

Pekay.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

First of all, I'd say that all I can say, is from the experience I got from the car seen here (imported or not), in Argentina.

If it is a GR injected, is it a XN6? (I Guess so) or ZEJK/ZDJK?

If first case, the engine number normally is located on the left engine support (on the edge of it).

The mechanical injection (K-Jetronic) is quite more audible than the electronic... Some of the noise comes from the pump, and a little of it, from the injectors. But if the noise is too high, may be a pump next to be dead any moment.

If the auto gearbox works fine, leave it... get used to it. is it a 4hp22 or 3hp22? the first case has an 0.75 overdrive, the second, is only 1-1 ratio on 3rd gear. But for the year I suppose is 4hp22. Amazing gearbox. If well mantained (oil change, and always at level) is eternal.

To replace it, besides the pedals holder, and the clutch, you need to change the flywheel, then add clutch (press, disc, bearing) I'm not sure if the lenght of driveshaft and the torque tube changes. There are also minor changes as speedo gear, and gearbox rods (selector) and obviously the console, at least what goes around the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

I swear I did not copy peekay! I was just writing

It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

1000+ Posts

Yeah yeah-Now I know what the 'Spooky Feeling' was over my right shoulder!!!!!!!!:

Pekay.

There have been a couple of threads on here about whether you can or should replace a 3-speed auto with a 5 speed box. However we don't know exactly what sort of engine you have. It's likely an unusual one that didn't come out in Australia.
    Best to leave in the 3 speed auto, and change the diff. Most likely you have a 4.11 diff, so try to find a 3.77, or better still, a 3.58. It's an easy swap.
    The 3 speed auto boxes were very well-designed, robust and smooth, but you have to be careful to use only Dextron 2 transmission oil, or it won't last long. And if you want to increase longevity, install an external oil cooler instead of the trans oil being cooled through the hot radiator water as it is now.

Tadpole

Thanks to everybody who replied

I will won't be able to have a good look until the weekend, but thats good news about the fuelpump. I will have a poke around and see what I can find out about the gearbox, it doesn't appear to have a overdrive..but then again the horn is on the indicator stork so who knows :-)

Thanks again and will post a reply this weekend when I have a chance to have a good look

As a 1988 model, my guess would be that it has the 4 speed ZF4hp22. This is a good thing! They did give the 4 speeds a very short diff though, so in overdrive it's not far off the 3 speed in direct (3rd).

The good news is that they respond well to a taller diff. Just don't go overboard, 0.75 is a big overdrive (the 5 speed overdrives are about 0.82-0.84).
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

Sorry I haven't posted this but it is in fact a 3 speed auto.

Will post when I find out more about the engine.

Tadpole

Finally had a chance to look under the bonnet in the daylight

I still not able to find anything relating the engine, the left support looked as though it had something there at one point in its life, but now there is nothing. I have taken some photos, hopefully those in the know will be able to advise? As I am still none the wiser!

Other things I have noticed that both reverse lights don't work, however the contacts don't pretty clean. I haven't been able to find any PDF manuals in English yet has anybody had better luck then me?

Last but not least, the 3 speed auto box. If it is a mission putting a manual box in there, how much work is it to put the 4 speed model with overdrive ? My partner who uses the car daily is on the motorway for 95% of her commute so I wonder if it would make a positive difference for fuel economy

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input and advice

Cheers
    Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected-img_0083.jpg   Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected-img_0084.jpg   Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected-img_0085.jpg  

ZEJ or ZDJK engine (probably last one, 2.2 K-Jetronic mechanical injection)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    ZEJ or ZDJK engine (probably last one, 2.2 K-Jetronic mechanical injection)
    Yes, K Jetronic, would be 1985 at latest, couldn't be a GR with this engine?
    Also as Scott says 88 model should have a 4 speed. Can we see a picture of the interior?

Fellow Frogger!

I'm thinking that someone has done an engine & trans swap st some stage, cause on the firewall it has the late black plastic fake firewall cover the goes over the heater fan and so forth. If it was 85, 86 it would still have the old silver fake firewall, I think.

Default Just bought a 1988 505 GR Auto Injected

Just to add to the info, that's an early, probably 83 STi motor, you can tell by the the breathe coming out of the top of the rocker cover in front of the air intake tube that goes over the rocker cove, later ones came out at the rear.
    Regard
    Neil

Tadpole

I will get some pictures of the interior up tomorrow, according to the badge on the back it's definitely a GR.

Quote Originally Posted by TassieExec View Post
    Just to add to the info, that's an early, probably 83 STi motor, you can tell by the the breathe coming out of the top of the rocker cover in front of the air intake tube that goes over the rocker cove, later ones came out at the rear.
    Regard
    Neil
    So if it is a 83 STi motor, would that make it a XN6, ZEJ or ZDJK ? The swap theory is quite plausible with the absence of any plate on the left support.

As for the gearbox, mine is definitely a 3hp22. I have noticed that allot of European cars appear to share this gearbox, I am assuming that each is slightly different, how difficult would it be to modify a 4hp22 to fit a Peugeot (assuming I can't find one from another 505) if it is sourced from another brand?

Thanks again
    Nick

3 speed to 4 speed - easy if you can find the right parts.

The bell housing and extension housing are unique to the Peugeot, as I expect the output shaft, gear ratios and shift points.

You will also need the shorter tailshaft and torque tube, or to shorten them yourself.

Having said all that, it is very easy to drop a 5 speed manual in place of the 3 speed auto...
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi505 View Post
    I will get some pictures of the interior up tomorrow, according to the badge on the back it's definitely a GR.

So if it is a 83 STi motor, would that make it a XN6, ZEJ or ZDJK ? The swap theory is quite plausible with the absence of any plate on the left support.

As for the gearbox, mine is definitely a 3hp22. I have noticed that allot of European cars appear to share this gearbox, I am assuming that each is slightly different, how difficult would it be to modify a 4hp22 to fit a Peugeot (assuming I can't find one from another 505) if it is sourced from another brand?

Thanks again
    Nick
    ZDJK, the ZEJ have plastic inlet manifolds.
    Graham

I'd spend a bit of time looking for the shorter tube and propshaft rather than having your existing ones shortened.
    Seems having them shortened is more difficult than it sounds.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    ZDJK, the ZEJ have plastic inlet manifolds.
    Graham
    Starting to get really confused here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink . I have given up trying to get this to load as it.

This picture from a manual I found looks pretty good for a match on a ZEJ? The only difference I can see is the breather type device(?) coming from the top of the head

I love the idea of having this car with a 4 speed auto, it appears to be the easiest conversion save for putting in a new diff. I guess the main problem in NZ is parts, even trying to find a replacement for the broken drivers side wing mirror hasn't been successful so far. First thing on the agenda is to sort out the fuel pump noise, as life will not be pleasant if it decides to go, for some strange reason it got quieter when I had drove it to the shops today.

Next weekend I plan on changing the oil and filter. Any recommendations for oil grade?

Thanks again from New Zealand
    Nick
    Last edited by Kiwi505; 21st May 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: photo

Fellow Frogger!

Parts are not too hard, drop me a PM

Thread Information