Calling all 205 owners and lovers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Calling all 205 owners and lovers

Hi all,

A brief introduction.
    I never got over sticking my mum's 1989 205 GTI 1.9 into a ditch at the sort of speeds that make you wet your pants. Mum took this car over from my brother shortly before he died, replacing her much loved 1986 205 GTI 1.6. Dad had a 405 and 406 (diesels) and mum had a 106 diesel after the GTI. My best mate has a 1.6, another close mate had two 1.9's that ended up off roundabouts and corners as usual. In short, Pugs run in my veins and I need to get one, but this will be a keeper not a project.

Why I'm here.
    My experience with them have all been UK based, and I understand that here in Aus, you/we got the less grunty 1.9's for a long time? I'm certainly after the full fat version so can someone tell me exactly what I'm looking for and how I'd know which is which (build date I'm guessing). I'm also considering importing from the UK. I missed out on the exact one I wanted recently, a 25,000 mile museum piece and I'm not going to have that happen again.

So here I am, in the process of putting my Mercedes 450SL (107) up for sale and a yearning for the rest-of-my-life GTI. I'm new to this forum, although I browse occasionally, so anyone who has useful links for GTI's could you please post?

What I want
    Mostly I'm putting it out there that I'm in the market (but not a rush). Preference is for a white 1.9 on the larger speedlines with the update dashboard. However, if there's the right (unmodified) one in another colour or earlier dash, I'd consider it. I've spent a long time mucking about getting the Merc sorted and don't want to go that route again - I want a 8/10 car minimum.

So I'm putting it out to the community that if you have any idea who might be enticed to sell, or if you have some useful links for me to get my head around the model, especially aussie spec differences, preferences over which series etc, please either post or PM me. Oh and if you know anyone who wants to buy a good value, great condition Merc SL.....

Advertisement

Cheers in advance,

Mike

Mike, welcome, you are in the right spot to spend long lost hours discussing 205's. The car you want does appear but you need to be patient. There are very few very good late 205's around. I would not limit yourself to a white one unless that is the real point of ownership. These cars look good in almost any colour.
    Expect to pay between $5-10K for a good one, then expect to spend more on making it just right. Quite a few people will argue that the early series are more pure to drive but lack speedlines, aircon, dash, pwr steer and other bits. Keep an eye on carsales - there is a nice looking red one there at the moment.

Ash
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Mike, welcome, you are in the right spot to spend long lost hours discussing 205's. The car you want does appear but you need to be patient. There are very few very good late 205's around. I would not limit yourself to a white one unless that is the real point of ownership. These cars look good in almost any colour.
    Expect to pay between $5-10K for a good one, then expect to spend more on making it just right. Quite a few people will argue that the early series are more pure to drive but lack speedlines, aircon, dash, pwr steer and other bits. Keep an eye on carsales - there is a nice looking red one there at the moment.

Ash
    They all have air con.
    From 1987 we got the 1.6 GTi with detuned 1.9, then in 1991 got the proper 1.9 but with the 122hp engine.
    If you want a 130 hp engine I have one in going condition available.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    They all have air con.
    From 1987 we got the 1.6 GTi with detuned 1.9 Graham
    As in the 1.6 GTi UK body and interior....but with a 1.9 detuned engine?

What was the official reason for this? As far as I'm aware it was emissions regulations...no?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    As in the 1.6 GTi UK body and interior....but with a 1.9 detuned engine?

What was the official reason for this? As far as I'm aware it was emissions regulations...no?
    Yes, but also the 1.6 model to try and keep the price down, as it was it over the top at $31000.
    By the time of the series 3 we had 95 octane unleaded and also the S3 had the more advanced Motronic management so power rose from 75kw to 90kw, 122hp.
    Graham.

Hi mike
    A white s3 205 gti in Wollongong would be great.
    At the moment there are 5 sorento green,2red,and 1charcoal s3 gti's
    There are a few si's and series 1 and 2 gti's as well.
    regards Jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

thanks for the welcomes.

If the gti went to 122 bhp here, then that matches the UK does it not? I recall that when they added catalytic convertors they went from 130bhp down to 122bhp. So if S3 models here are 122, you could always drop the cats.

What would a S2 put out? I've seen that red one for just shy of nine grand on carsales (says it's s2 but must be s3 right?). Looks good. I'd hate to have bought one and then have the perfect white one turn up...

I'm prepared to pay well over $15k for the right car but , right means this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3717505.htm

anything else is a compromise. This is 100% identical to my late brothers/ mums GTI.

If I got a later S3 car I'd consider doing the opposite to everyone else and putting in orange indicators and the older rear lights, plus there's no way on gods earth I can have those plastic reflectors aussie cars got across the rear boot between the lights (but an easy fix).

I really ought to put a picture up of the one I destroyed. I sent the picture into Performance Car (precursor to EVO magazine) for their section "me and my greatest error of judgement". I've got the copy somewhere.

Yeah its an s3, you could bring that white one as its older than 01.01.89 so can come in with relative ease..

Bring it in, you wont get one that good here and its full power model too

Unlike the early s1/s2 models which are underpowered

Too note the reflective strip was an optional extra in the uk just not many got it!!

I agree slatted grill looks way better!!

As for putting in orange indicators etc ona s3?? why it didnt come like that, that is just for the earlier 80s models!!

Your choice though

Were abouts in the uk are you from??

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by iluvbrownale View Post
    thanks for the welcomes.

If the gti went to 122 bhp here, then that matches the UK does it not? I recall that when they added catalytic convertors they went from 130bhp down to 122bhp. So if S3 models here are 122, you could always drop the cats.

What would a S2 put out? I've seen that red one for just shy of nine grand on carsales (says it's s2 but must be s3 right?). Looks good. I'd hate to have bought one and then have the perfect white one turn up...

I'm prepared to pay well over $15k for the right car but , right means this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3717505.htm

anything else is a compromise. This is 100% identical to my late brothers/ mums GTI.

If I got a later S3 car I'd consider doing the opposite to everyone else and putting in orange indicators and the older rear lights, plus there's no way on gods earth I can have those plastic reflectors aussie cars got across the rear boot between the lights (but an easy fix).

I really ought to put a picture up of the one I destroyed. I sent the picture into Performance Car (precursor to EVO magazine) for their section "me and my greatest error of judgement". I've got the copy somewhere.
    The cam is also different in the 122 but yes, the same as the later UK cars.
    I had a UK 1.9 with the plastic reflector.
    S2 is the early car with later interior and usually BE3 gearbox, 75kw or 105 hp, but have a 3.9 final drive so go just as well as the higher power cars really.
    They are a bit like a 504 Ti they go a lot better than the figures would indicate.
    Graham

[QUOTE=gezza;1059004 as its older than 01.01.89 so can come in with relative ease..
    [/QUOTE]

...So when can we start importing the 106 GTi's?

mmm...

Welcome to the forum mate.

It may also be worth considering a 205 in excellent nick with a quality mi16 / GTi6 conversion. I had a 205 with S3 engine, then mi16, then GTi6 and I can say that the GTi6 was by far the most fun

Last edited by SilverGTi_6; 4th May 2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

When something like the above comes around, you buy it...
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Personal imports for the 106 gti...
    They aint all that though tbh

Unfortunatly the white one in the UK I posted the link to had sold before I got my act together. I was also hearing "not until you sell the Merc" from SWMBO. C'est la vie.

With respect to orange indicators, as I say, my relationship with the 205 GTI goes way beyond just loving the handling, the responsiveness and is much more personal. It's just one of those things that must be. Luckily most people go the other way so picking up some amber units won't be too hard! Originality is crucial for me, so Mi16 conversions aren't going to cut it either(even though they are 'of the period').

I've realised that the two tone seats and half leather never appeared here so unless I get a UK car, I will have to buy an interior set and bring it over if I want that.

^ that white one posted earlier, aside from the fettled suspension settings, is EXACTLY what I'm after looks wise, but I know getting a S3 is only way i'm going to get the power I want in an original package. I just hope the right one doesn't turn up before the other car is sold.

Distractingly, there's a UK car for sale for 5,000 quid, B reg (same as mum's first one), white, 50,000 miles.....but the heart's not in it. Still keep looking at it mind you.

Now to find that picture of mum's written off one!

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Personal imports for the 106 gti...
    They aint all that though tbh
    all caught up in the goverment's ridiculous stance on imports; the old 15 year rule replaced by "pre-1989" so unless it's someone who has owned it for over a year, they won't ever appear here (race cars excepted). I've driven a 106 GTI and they're pretty neat, the size (lack of) being part of the appeal but I'd have to agree with road tests at the time and take the Rallye instead.

Speaking of Rallyes...http://www.4starclassics.com/Peugeot...llye-For-Sale/
    Straight to the pool room that one.

If its a b reg its 1.6 then, i wouldnt bother with a 1.6 tbh..

As for orange indicators your not keeping it original if its a s3/ph2 as they came with clear. So that cant be a must lol

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    If its a b reg its 1.6 then, i wouldnt bother with a 1.6 tbh..

As for orange indicators your not keeping it original if its a s3/ph2 as they came with clear. So that cant be a must lol
    yeah yeah, I know! But I'd have the clears in the garage anyway. More original than engine conversions, suspension work, exhaust etc which can't be undone (easily).

So to clarify for anyone thinking of selling:

"car must be 100% original but if you happen to have orange inidicators on an S3 then I will cop that."

PDJ

Are you selling jousting sticks?

Hey Mike, just came across this ad for a white 205 GTI in SA.
    The ad doesnt give much information or any photos, but it might be worth a look

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mills...ale/1001160384

Damn, missed it but thx for the heads up. Didn't think to search gumtree but will from now on.

Thought I might post these pics. This is the GTI that was my (deceased) brother's and the one that a few years later I wrote off. This was taken when the vehicle was new and he was off skiing in Andorra.

Some people probably love the car for its looks, it's handling or it's character and whilst that applies for me also, I'm sure you can appreciate my feelings run deeper still.

Calling all 205 owners and lovers-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342524251.166819.jpg

Good piccy :-)

and this is what I did too it a few years later.....

still ranks as the stupidest thing I've ever done and will ever be in my parents debt for not ripping me in half when they came back from holiday to found their son had totalled mums car...(actually was ripped into thirds, deservedly)

Not sure if this is too late or not, but if you're after the more powerful cars, they have the DKZ engine as opposed to the DFZ engine (the detuned version we got here). Look for the engine id plate and you know straight away. Not sure why nobody told you this from the very beginning, it's the quickest most reliable way to tell them apart.

Just a mention, try and drive a DFZ before you dismiss them for good, you might be surprised with their immense torque which basically gives you a kick up the bum every time you shift gears. I drove a DKZ (10k $ car) and it didn't do that. Perhaps the gearing has something to do with it as well, but as I said, the DKZ is not that impressive in the seat of the pants dyno department.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

i know its not white (quite the opposite really!!) but this might be worth a look???

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...k&sort=default

EDIT// or this one???

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information