405 SRDT Timing belt and engine mount
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 SRDT Timing belt and engine mount

Im planning on changing the timing belt on my 405 srdt, and was wondering if the rhs top engine mount has to be removed or not for this job?
    Also does anyone know of a tutorial avail for doing the timing belt change.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think it does have to come off from memory but the last time i did one i had the head off as well

getting the top mount off is an absolute PITA as well

i'm pretty sure the belt runs over the top of the mount, take the cover off and have a look, if you can see the belt going over the mount then the mount has to come off
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

just get a trolley jack and a thick block of rubber (timber is also suitable) on the very edge of the sump, its strong on the edge. hold it up there, whip the mount off. easy part done lol
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

1000+ Posts

Hi-Pays to remove the bottom engine mount bolt as well as this will give you plenty of movement.It is a bit of an up & down job.If you can get hold of a manual that would help.

Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, remove the top mount. It isn't a pita, but it depends on what tools you have. It is almost always broken, which you only discover after you take it off. The mount can also break if you undo the top nut on top of the rubber bit too harshly or do it up again with an impact wrench.

Also undo the bottom mount and use a jack as described to move the whole thing up and down, depending on whether you are trying to get access to the top or the bottom.

Not an easy job, but is doable with some patience. You may need to take the starter motor out to access the slot in the ring gear that locks it into place, but mine was a Citroen diesel and it may have been a slightly different model.

I don't know of a specific guide, but there will be someone on a European Citroen forum who has done the same motor on a BX TD or a Xantia TD. You may find something on youtube too, which seems to have more and more mechanical things on it.

Good luck and if in doubt when it is all back together again, turn it all around by hand a number of times before you are tempted to hit the starter button.

Regards, Erik

1000+ Posts

Default timeing

the hole in the block behind the starter is accesable ,bend up a tent peg of suitable size ,disconnect the battery or take care not to short the tent peg on the starter terminals ,once you have that pin in the flywheel you can lock the cam and pump with appropriate size bolts fitted through the webs of the wheels into a thread in the head, have a real good look at the tensioner rollers ,i would recommend changing them , from my experience ,You could also mark the belt to wheel on cam/ pump and crank transfer these marks to the new belt ,as mentioned ,turn the engine over by hand two turns before engaging the starter ,[make sure all aligning pins are removed .use a deep socket to remove the nut on the engine mount bolt that goes through the bracket ,PUGS

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    the hole in the block behind the starter is accesable ,bend up a tent peg of suitable size ,disconnect the battery or take care not to short the tent peg on the starter terminals ,once you have that pin in the flywheel you can lock the cam and pump with appropriate size bolts fitted through the webs of the wheels into a thread in the head, have a real good look at the tensioner rollers ,i would recommend changing them , from my experience ,You could also mark the belt to wheel on cam/ pump and crank transfer these marks to the new belt ,as mentioned ,turn the engine over by hand two turns before engaging the starter ,[make sure all aligning pins are removed .use a deep socket to remove the nut on the engine mount bolt that goes through the bracket ,PUGS
    i use a long reach allen key for the one near the starter so same principle but what i also do is hang the keys on the allen key and lock the car up

that way you are guaranteed to have this pin out as it is the last one to remove and exactly what you need to get back into the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

thanks gents for the tips , I will probably have a few more questions later.
    Last edited by 405srdt; 3rd May 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Tadpole

Finally got it all done, was 1 and a half days work. New timing belt, new tensioner and new idler wheel.
    Couldnt get the flamin timing covers back in, so they can wait for another day.
    Last edited by 405srdt; 10th May 2012 at 09:09 AM.

Thread Information