rekeying 504 door lock
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default rekeying 504 door lock

Hi All,

Trying to sort out a busted door lock in my 504 (some kindly soul opened it with a screw driver!). I've got a working spare, but my locksmith is telling me he is unable to rekey it to match my key due to the wafers being different lengths. I spoke to a wrecker though who was adamant that this was possible and that I should go to a different locksmith.

Anyone have any ideas if this is possible, or do I need to bite the bullet and either live with different locks or attempt to find a whole new set?

Cheers,
    Voytek

Advertisement

mud
    Fellow Frogger!

a brand new lock can be keyed to suit your old key, but a lock that is already keyed can not be re-keyed.

brand new locks are available i got one once for a 505, cost me 70bucks which included getting it keyed to suit my old key.

unfortunately the lock smith i used no longer exists otherwise id give you their number, i recon any good locksmith should be able to find a new lock for you.

1000+ Posts

The locks are fully dis-assembleable, if one has enough wafers as you call them, it would be possible to make up a lock using parts from perhaps 2 or 3 other locks. Perhaps other Aussie Froggers have some old locks they could contribute. 404 locks might be similar too.

Still - new locks are easier to come by. Ebay UK or France have them regularly. Not sure about places like Caravelle or EAI, any more.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

OR,take the LHS lock and put it in the RHS door so that it is the same as the ignition key. The only difference is you have to put the key in upside down. How often do you open the passenger side with a key anyway. You will have one extra key but will never use it! Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    but a lock that is already keyed can not be re-keyed.
    this is not true because I have successfully done it myself and I am not a locksmith. You just need the "wafers" to be longer than what you need, which normally means using some from another old or damaged lock as well, and filing them down.

Tadpole

Thanks all for the advice... just trying to source a new, uncut, lock. I'll see how I go.

My fall back plan is to swap the left lock out. Hopefully won't need to!

Tadpole

Hey Octofish, how about I just give you the other door lock that matches the one I gave you earlier, then you have 2 door locks with the one key. Then you can send me the one good lock and key you have, and I'll still have a spare lock
    Jackal

Old 504 locks can certainly be rekeyed don't let anyone advise to the contrary. I have done the Vachette glovebox and boot locks myself and have used a locksmith at Locksmiths Supply Company to do door locks. Phone them they are in North Melbourne. They will probably advise you to go through one of their retailers.

Thread Information