Car Sales Listing red 205 $12000?
  • Register
  • Help
    Banned

Default Car Sales Listing red 205 $12000?

I was called to Sydney on Friday for work, so i organized to see the red 205 advertised in car sales while i was there. The owner who has changed his name from Trevor to lee?, first gave me an address in paddington and asked me to meet him there. He latter revised the location to Rydalmere, stating that he had sent the car to be detailed at his mates panel beating work shop.

The car is advertised as quote-"amazing time warp condition" and futher on "interior immaculate with no wear to side bolster".

I was apprehensive about the owner not being present when I was to be viewing. He had been given ample notice and had a choice of times for the viewing. How can I buy a car if I dont have the oportunity to ask questions about the vehicles history, condition etc.

On arrival the car was not detailed, in fact it was covered in garage dust and dirt, it hadnt been moved in a while. Sent to be detailed? Common, why talk crap as if people are totaly ignorant. Why lie about the cars location?

Anyway i had been turned off dealing with the owner at this time so the car had been left to do the speaking. As i opened the door the interior was rank and manky, the carpets worn and faded and all the half leather on the seats was cracked , faded and stiff.

"interior immaculate with no wear to side bolster", is this person on the same planet as me. I now understand why there are only 2 photos on the advert and both of the exterior. Dream on dreamer $12000, in your wildest dreams!! I couldnt see past the manky interior so my inspection ended there. Has anyone else seen this car or dealt with the owner?

Advertisement

Is this the uk import one??

Banned

Yes that the one Gezza, this ones no good too.

Buy a decent car for 3k and spend the rest getting it to concourse?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Walk away man.

I think its time to start looking at nice examples that are clean but need minor work. If you want a minter for 15k thats fine. Otherwise, buy something for 5k with a good solid history and tidy it up. Perhaps even spend some money respraying it to a grand spec, repair any interior damage to seats etc, tighten up the suspension while its apart and for the 10k you save on the price of the car you would have something ver, very nice?

What are you thoughts guys? Im not in a position to spend 15k on a 205 so dont really know that thought patterns you guys have.

That green one in Melbourne looks nice enough for a project like this? I have one in my shed at home with complete history. 2 owner but needs paint as it was stored in a carport and the rear hatch had faded. The interior is the best Ive ever seen and when I have the money will spray it the original colour and restore it to factory spec mechanically. Most of it is still perfect hence the full service history.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Banned

A minter for 15k would be money well spent. What i wouldnt consider is one that hasnt been represented acurately in the add- for minter money. Which is what the last 2 have been. Im sure the right one will come along.

Banned

Its amazing how quickly the wrong car chews up the cash. I bought my last one for 5k, spent about 5k improving it and it still needed a respray and engine reco.

I bought one with too many ks on the clock. Im trying to not make the same mistake.
    Last edited by anesti; 28th April 2012 at 06:48 PM.

It's really not hard to eat up $15K on a restoration. Think of this:

paint $5K
    motor reco. $5K
    rear beam $1K
    etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It can go wrong real quickly!!

Look at that dimma for sale..

Banned

If only this was Europe. Here is another gem, for not much money. Doesnt have a turbo though.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3838477.htm

Yeah its mega cheap in the uk compared to here

Saw this one on the net, thanks for the heads up.

I looked at about 3 and all the same story. Ended up buying a 306 GTi6 and found out after contacting vicroads 5 times and dropping 4K on getting it up to RWC that it was a repairable write off and shouldn't be reregistered. Had to beg vicroads to look the other way on that one.

Some bargains can end up costing you a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by anesti View Post
    I was apprehensive about the owner not being present when I was to be viewing. He had been given ample notice and had a choice of times for the viewing. How can I buy a car if I dont have the oportunity to ask questions about the vehicles history, condition etc.
    This is when I would have wasted no more time on it and not bothered with the inspection. I know the prospect of a 'mint bro' 205 GTi is exciting, but it sounds like it blocked what your instincts were telling you a bit.

Bumping for current interest in the car

Default Re: Car Sales Listing red 205 $12000?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    It's really not hard to eat up $15K on a restoration. Think of this:

paint $5K
    motor reco. $5K
    rear beam $1K
    etc.
    Wow Peter... That's exactly what I've ended up doing...

Simon

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information