Performance brake fluid? Any suggestions?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Performance brake fluid? Any suggestions?

Just about to install some new Black Diamond rotors with EBC Green Stuff pads, but I'm at a bit of a loss in regards to fluid for fast road applications.
    Any suggestions? Or bad experiences I should avoid?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, avoid blue and dark coloured brake fluid.
    Stains everything - always blue etc coming through - hard to tell when fresh fluid coming through.

David

Fellow Frogger!

I use motul RBF 600. About $35 for a 500ml bottle, available from practically all bike shops. It is a DOT 4 fluid but with a higher boiling point. Note that I flush out the system once a year because of its higer water absorbtion qualities.
    Last edited by bad_karma; 27th April 2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Just about to install some new Black Diamond rotors with EBC Green Stuff pads, but I'm at a bit of a loss in regards to fluid for fast road applications.
    I think you should just stick with Dot 4/Super Dot 4 fluid and make sure you change it at least every 2 years.

Moving to Dot 5 "competition" fluid is silicon-based and involves completely cleaning the brake system of any glycol-based brake fluid and is far too much hassle.

Dot 5.1 is not supposed to have this issue, but I'm not sure if it costs more, or whether the extra cost is worth it for a road car. Regardless, it still needs to be changed every 2 years.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Yes, consider some different brake pads and stick to normal brake fluid.

And what do you mean by fast road? Roads have speed limits so everyone generally drives at the same fastness unless they want a ticket.

Fresh DOT 4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDSeagal View Post
    Yes, consider some different brake pads and stick to normal brake fluid.

And what do you mean by fast road? Roads have speed limits so everyone generally drives at the same fastness unless they want a ticket.
    You are right,

Unless you are doing track work ye-old castrol super DOT 4 (fresh stuff that is) should be sufficient.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDSeagal View Post
    Yes, consider some different brake pads
    Interested as to why you say this Alan? I've been running greenstuf pads now for many years (still the original set). Their only drawback is increased pedal pressure required when they are cold.

I changed to them because the OEM pads are so hard that I wore out three sets of disks without the pads showing any sign of wear at all! The greenstuff are definitely much kinder on the disks, and when they are warmed up have excellent bite.

Mine are finally down to about 20% so I will need to consider a replacement in the next couple of years. Something that is as kind on the dics but has good cold performance would be nice

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

+ 1 above......and the bonus of less visible pad dust.

If you guys have Ford spec Dot 3 it's got a very high boiling point, and it's cheap. Used it in a pro-rally car with no fade, and it was cheap enough to flush out often.

We found fresh fluid is better than any old fluid no matter how good / expensive it was.

Rabin

1000+ Posts

Steer clear of dot 5 with a vengeance-it is a PAIN IN THE A[utomobile]
    ADD TO THAT it is non hydroscopic so ony moisture in the system does not get absorbed in to the fluid & STAYS IN RTHE PIPE IF YOU USE DOT 3.
    Add to that the c/over is an absolute pain!!!!!!!!!!

Pekay.

I like to use a DOT 4 and flush yearly.
    Also I like to each service flush a little fluid from each caliper, removing the small amount that gets the hardest life.
    Fluid in the caliper is heated more than the rest and the caliper seals are one point I moisture absorption so sending 50ml out of each caliper every service seems to me a good idea.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I've been running greenstuf pads now for many years (still the original set). Their only drawback is increased pedal pressure required when they are cold.
    Some people don't like this. And you can usually get more than one year out of other brands too.

That's understandable I'm actually not 100% sure if they are worse than normal pads when cold, or whether they are just significantly better when hot (making them seem worse when cold).

The problem I had with the OEM pads was not that they wore out too quickly, but that they didn't wear out at all! They were still at 90 -95% after about 100,000KM and I'd worn out three sets of disks in that time! The greenstuff are the fastest wearing pads I've had (well I've only had OEM to compare to). At the time I changed about the only other available were pagid, and they were hard to get and expensive. Things may have changed in the last 10 years

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I've only run green stuff on one vehicle.
    They certainly were harder pressure for the first two or three applications when really cold then they bit like nobody's business!
    I loved them!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

Another vote for

motul RBF 600

Used in all my race cars for last 10 years. No issues
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

I use the RBF600 and change it either once a year or if i boil it.

Some things you should know. Typically the more race orentaied braked fluids are more hydroscopic - requiring flushing more often.

WET BOILING POINT - The minimum temperatures that brake fluids will begin to boil when the brake system contains 3% water by volume of the system. (30ml on most cars)

DRY BOILING POINT - The temperatures that brake fluid will boil with no water present in the system.

Also might be worth mentioning if you have any magnesium parts parts in your brakes as a bunch of fluids are now saying things like: "Bembo LCF 600+ must not be used in Brake Systems containing magnesium parts."

Thanks guys. That's awesome advice.
    I've gotten hold of some high boiling point (600+) Penrite DOT 4 fluid. The brakes will get a full flush through when installed on Friday.
    I'll make sure the brakes are warm before doing any serious braking with the Green stuff pads.
    Thanks again.

Brakes are great. Better feel than the worn out rotors and pads and old fluid I was running .
    Nice consistent feel. Even pressure provides good expected braking. No hard grabbing at all.
    Nice combo.

Thread Information