Rolling grumble from ront right when driving. S3 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rolling grumble from ront right when driving. S3 205 gti

Have been getting my bosses 205 on the road, it passed rego and drove it today. THere is a strange grumbling noise fomr the front right of the car when you load it up turning left.

Its got
    New Lower control arms
    I changed the hub this afternoon to one with a new bearing, noise still there
    New shocks and springs
    Rebuilt driveshafts

Could it be engine mounts? I will inspect them tomorrow but they feel fine to me.

The power steering makes a little bit of a groan when turning right but ive heard that before. ( actually never heard a Quiet power steering in a 205. ANyone know what that could be. Ive always removed it.. )

Advertisement

Could it be the subframe moving?

Its also quite slow. Apparently the engine is rebuilt, Ill compression test that tomorrow and check thats ok. Does not want to rev at all. No torque and seems breathless. Filter is new. Blocked CAT maybe? Timing issue? Needs more advance? SOmetimes hesitates. AFM? I checked for leaks and there are none. K light comes on sometimes, whats that about? They sometimes have a mind of there own? God I hate these S3 GTis sometimes. Nice to swing around a bend though!

The brakes are also shit. Replaced everything except the Booster. So ill have to do that now. Slut of a job I reckon.

Anyway. THats my afternoon!

Cheers in advance for any light shed

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

wheel bearings??

If the engine has compression and cam timing is correct (and both are related) then there's not much else you can do with the S3, other than AFM and lambda sensor.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Sometimes when you renew things it puts extra strain on other components. From your description it sounds like a CV joint but it may also be either the middle bearing on long driveshaft or a seized droplink arm ball joint.

Good luck with it as we all know it's just a matter of going through the list......

Fellow Frogger!

Default Top Mpunt

I had similar grumble sounds on a L/H turn and I was scrathing my head for absolutely ages as everything above turned out to be fine.

I jacked up the motor via the pan and it turned out to be the top mount had sheared. I removed the timing belt cover and sure enough It showed it was pressed up againsty the sheetmetal and that pushed the belt into the inside of the cover when the weight shifted into a L/H corner.

Easy thing to check, just grab athe floor jack and eliminate it from your list of possibles.

WRT tardy engine I'd go with Peter's tip. Check then double check you have not retarded the cam wheel by a tooth. That will do it as you have described. K lamp - check the connection on the lambda and it's out put to rule it out as a culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    THere is a strange grumbling noise fomr the front right of the car when you load it up turning left.

Could it be engine mounts? I will inspect them tomorrow but they feel fine to me. YES

The power steering makes a little bit of a groan when turning right but ive heard that before. ( actually never heard a Quiet power steering in a 205. ANyone know what that could be. Ive always removed it.. )

Could it be the subframe moving? YES

Cheers in advance for any light shed

Cam
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

"Sandy",
    Off topic [a little!].
    Did I see you stepping it out in your whites yesterday ?
    [Anzac March]. Come to think of it there was a square gaiting matelot out there.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Will check the top mount ( I suspect this ) and the subframe. Also the intermediate bearing sounds interesting too. Its got a horrible solid rear engine mount also which just vibrates everything. Worst thing ever. These are hard to get out apparently...

Will also check the timing and Lambda sensor and go from there.

CHeers

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

=1 for the engine mount. I got the same problem and the engine mount wasn't broken, it was "bent" - i think from the extra weight from the twin cam.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Ok. I have a spare standing by. Will change that first thing and see if it makes any difference.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Its got a horrible solid rear engine mount also which just vibrates everything. Worst thing ever. These are hard to get out apparently....

CHeers

Cam

Hi Cam

According to who?? , the lower rear K' mount is just two bolts, is that the one you are referring to?

If the engine rear is what you mean then you have remove 4 bolts off the back of the block and the RH shaft to get at it. If it's a solid then it HAS to come off the back of the block to do the job properly. Stick it in a 10 ton press and it's out. Trick is the pipe you use to press it out has to fit the outer ring of the mount very closely or it will try and pass thru the rubber. Some folk have used an old 'faced' mount ( even the new mount) to do this. I shoved mine in the freezer O'Night - it works I swear.

Yes by crikey with a solid mount the vibration from the engine block will go straight thru the K' frame and to the soles of your little tootsies. I had a Bakers solid rubber lower engine mount and I removed it on the road car, good gear for the track I'm sure - fast road not for me..

The intermediate bearing is just a pair of 10mm 'J bolts also called hockey sticks (they resemble a hockey stick ). A PITA as there is little swing room on a wrench so use a short ring spanner after a bath of some Penetrene. No need to completely remove them just back them off untill you can turn the ears of the J bolt 180 and the intermediate roller bearing will come out with the D/S shaft.

All part of the same job if yoy are serious about removing the solid mount as the shaft has to come out anyway. While its out the intermediate shaft bearing can get a soak and you can feel it it 'rumbles' as you turn it by hand..

Wildebeest you have a PM

Ha-r har - You are now far from where I marched alongside my uncle the Vietnam Vet on Wed'. Those old buggers have trouble keeping formation, but a Gunfire breaky they know how to host. I won't go further than that as what I read on another topic on this board recently disgusts me.

Enjoy your freedom people
    93' 205GTi

Yea Im aware they are hard to get out. The hockey stick are 11mm I think. Are a PITA to get out but I have a long neck/throat socket that does the trick pretty good. Ill change it out tomorrow I think,

I found the culprit. Well almost. The top engine mount ( or the under side thats actually attached to the engine ) is rubbing on the chassis leg. The top mount is fine and looks new. Ill check the gearbox mount tomorrow as thats the only thing left really? Unless the car has had a smash ( Does not look like it ) it should be that.

Will report back tomorrow.
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Default Mea Culpa

The hockey stick are 11mm I think. Cam
    You are correctamundo. 11mm

For the chassis leg to be rubbing the upper alloy engine hanger the mounts have to be very sad. Unless the frame has had a decent wack up front.
    93' 205GTi

Thats what i thought. Im about to go and work on that now. Im hoping it as simple as the gearbox mount not correctly placed etc. Its normally quite close as is. This is pretty bad though. Fingers crossed

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Ok.

Removed the battery. SLid the gearbox mount to where is should have been. ENgine moved over about 8mm. Replaced battery. Slackened top engine mount and moved it as far across as possible. Now ample clearence and no rubbing! Stoked.

Replaced the AFM with a few that 'may' have worked. Still no luck. Ad posted for an AFM

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

It certainly smelt very rich as you left. So it could be the AFM or it could also be the fuel regulator. How do you know its not over fueling? You should really put a fuel pressure gauge on it before spending $$$ on another AFM. For example, a blocked return hose would exhibit the same behaviour. Those two AFM's I loaned you are not completely shagged. They have minor issues where the tracks have worn and should still be ok in various load spots.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hi Pete,

Yea I have been thinking about the fuel. I thought it may be the pump as it does not prime when you turn it to the 2nd position. Its really chewing the fuel though. I changed the two AFMs over and they made next to no difference at all. I have a few different fuel rails here so will change them over and see how I get on.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Changed the fuel rail, reg and injectors to know good ones and the difference was very little if none. Still has a terrible idle and not much get up and go. K light is still coming on every now and then at random stages.
    Starting to really give me the shits.

3 weeks and its gets 16valves anyway so Im hoping its not needed anymore...

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Thread Information