205 GTi will not start. was working fine but died whilst stopped at lights.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi will not start. was working fine but died whilst stopped at lights.

Hi, i was driving my pug a few days ago and i was stopped at the lights when it suddenly died. I managed to start it back up again fine but i had to keep the revs up as it felt like it was going to do it again. I made it up to the shops and left the car for 10 minutes, then tried to start it again and it wouldnt do it. The battery is fine, the starter motor is also fine.
    Does anyone know what this could be? fuel pump possibly?
    Thanks

Advertisement

I would concentrate on the ignition module - Looks like a big black chip near the brake booster.

Sometimes when they get old, they start to "cut out" when are hot. When cold, you would suspect every thing is ok.

Look to see if there is lots of heat sink compound between the chip and the aluminium plate its mounted on, and good (non corroded) connections to it.

Good luck,

Mark
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    I would concentrate on the ignition module - Looks like a big black chip near the brake booster.

Sometimes when they get old, they start to "cut out" when are hot. When cold, you would suspect every thing is ok.

Look to see if there is lots of heat sink compound between the chip and the aluminium plate its mounted on, and good (non corroded) connections to it.

Good luck,

Mark
    Ok thanks. the engine was running cold at the time, i had only been driving for about 5 minutes if that. The ignition coil on the other hand looks like it hasn't ever been replaced. A friend experienced the same symptoms with a different car and it turned out to be the coil, so im thinking this may be the culprit

I would be checking coil first...

I'd also check coil lead from distributor as well as it will cause the same symptoms.

I've ordered a new coil from the UK. Hopefully it will be the end of my troubles for another month or so (i doubt it). Here's what i got if anyone can confirm that its the right part:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peugeot-2...ht_4696wt_1108

Ill have a look in the next couple of days to check the leads and so on

Can I ask why you bought that coil from the uk? A genuine Bosch coil is inexpensive here and would be a far superior quality unit.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

I priced a bosch coil a while back and from memory was around $250 +

Wow maybe I got a price on the wrong one! I was quoted $70 from memory. I didn't mention Peugeot though, that usually scares people and triples the price. MSD have direct replacements for about the same price, too, which I ran before I went to my current twin coil set-up.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

Ok so i fitted the ignition coil and it didnt solve the problem. I finally decided to take her to the mechanic to get them to have a look. They fitted a new distributor cap and cleaned up some dodgy connections, and it worked - for a day. I drove the car for 10 minutes then stopped, then went to start it an hour later and it wouldnt do it. Same problem as before, the battery turns over and everything, it just wont fire. She started fine that morning though, which leads me to think that is has to be a fuel related problem, a blockage in one of the leads or the fuel pump possibly?
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Max

What about changing the fuel filter as a pre-caution anyway??

fuel relay?
    Front left corner...

dino

I dont believe you can get the original bosch oil coils anymore NEW. They opt for the small expensive ones. According to my auto elec. Though you can get the good ones off old ford lasers or telstars at a wreckers.

As all of the above suggested - work backwards from the dizzy to the coil module plug.

Then things like your fuel pump relay, cold start valve, plugs & leads. surely its one of them if it was going....then not.

best of luck

Tachymetric controller is likely cause; the subject of many former threads. A little searching should provide the detail.

Tadpole

I suspect the fuel pump. I had very similar symptoms when my R17 Gordini pump wore out.

If you can't hear the pump run and then stop, when you turn on the ignition, it's almost certainly the pump.

Good luck,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by monteman View Post
    Tachymetric controller is likely cause; the subject of many former threads. A little searching should provide the detail.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that. There was some wiring around the ignition module that a previous owner did a terrible job of trying to repair so i had that fixed and replaced the module while i was at it. It fixed it and i drove it for a day then began driving it again this morning and it started fine then it cut out on me after about 10 seconds of driving and wouldnt start again. Does this narrow it down to any other suggestions? I intend to replace the fuel pump and filter. Possibly the ECU?
    Thanks

wats about the vaccum lines between the air flow and the throtle body !or the oil filler?

It took months for me to find the problem with my tachymetric controller: it was heat sensitive due to a dry joint and only a magnifying glass and careful wriggling of each component pin-pointed the problem. A one second touch of the soldering iron and the problem was fixed.

It took months for me to find the problem with my tachymetric controller: it was heat sensitive due to a dry joint and only a magnifying glass and careful wriggling of each component pin-pointed the problem. A one second touch of the soldering iron and the problem was fixed.
    I just swapped it over... the relay was very temperamental... boys at reagans couldnt figure it out. Eventually i went to the renault and pug wrecker out the west somewhere and they just let me swap bits over till I got the bugger sorted... turned out to be the tach relay... its the relay that cuts power to the pump in case of an accident...

dino

Are you talking about an internal solder joint? I mean you opened the tachy relay and found the cold joint inside?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th June 2012 at 08:35 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yes. Superannuants resort to fundamentals.

Thank you. And well done! Excellent philosophy.

I used to do that with flasher relays on R12 but since given up because I have now a stash of good ones. I was a bit reluctant to open a tachy relay because I wasn't sure they can be opened and didn't want to destroy the only one I have. I'll dive in next time I suspect it. Does the 205Si have an interchangeable relay with the GTI?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Graham Wallis may be able to answer that. The interior of the tachymetric controller is not particularly threatening; in fact the cover pops off easily. The little relay inside has a tendency to burn its points a little, so I ground a thin file to about 4mm wide to touch it up on a regular basis. It was only after I was satisfied that this was not the (obvious) problem, I went looking for a dry joint et voila.

Thread Information