Fix a leaking sun roof?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Fix a leaking sun roof?

Hello,

My 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI has a very slightly leaking sun roof. I've checked the drainage holes and they are free running, so I think the seals maybe need replacing and they do indeed look a little cracked and perished in areas. Any suggestions as to what to do or who would be good to fix it? I'm in Brunswick, VIC

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default sun roof

any water leaking in should be collected in the tray and exit down the drain pipes ,my experience is with 405 ,you dont happen to have a roof mounted airial by chance ,i searched for ages for a leak and found the, aireal was not properly sealed to the roof PUGS

Tadpole

No, I haven't got a roof mounted aerial, it's beside the bonnet and I did have a leak there, but it's been fixed, luckily. So it is definitely the sun roof...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

in a 504/604 when the seal around the sunroof is perished water will leak into the car as the drains are situated higher than the roof channel (great design that one)

try a few rubber places with an accurate profile drawing of the rubber seal
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If water gets past the seals it should drain away if the tubes are clear . I used to clean the drains by pulling down the sides of the headlining and uplugging the plastic tubing on the outlets from the 4 drainage points and blow compressed air into the tubes and watch the rubbish squirt out into the wheelarches

it's only the front ones that will block up and they are pretty easy to get to without pulling anything apart

they block up as they drain into the front guard and not out onto the road

the front guard fills up with crap and this kills the roof drainage

even so the front drains are not at the lowest point so the water doesn't completely drain and this is when the water ends up in the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.a...504%201970.htm

This website appears to sell the required rubber for the sunroof.

Mine decided it preferred the open road to my open sunroof, and jumped off the last drive I did. I feel that it wasn't the correct rubber for the job; it didn't fit perfectly, and the workshop manuals that came with the car had a part number for the rubber circled.

The offending part on my vehicle is labelled 8438.12 in my manual (curious, the radiator cap price/part is written at the top of the page in pen).

http://www.504.org/images/technique/...er8-Page15.gif

This is the french equivalent of the page I have a photocopy of; it lists the part as 8438.11

Found through this site:
    http://www.504.org/technic_GB.htm

Tadpole

So, you actually purchased some of the sun roof rubber from Scott's and it didn't do the job?
    I'll try to see if I can track down the rubber based on the part numbers you gave. Thanks for being so helpful!

Fellow Frogger!

Just a brief addition to Feds comment and diagram link. The 504 sunroof rubber comes in two pieces, a thin strip that goes aroung the front and sides, and a more specialized back piece that on my 504 wraps slightly around the sides to meet the front piece. In the diagram Fed linked, the front piece is 8438.11 and the back piece is 8439.07 although in the diagram the back piece is stright. I recently purchased the rear piece of 504 sunroof weatherstrippping on line and the part number was 8439.08. i dont see this on the diagram but the piece i got curves slightly around the sides of the sliding panel and it fits perfectly. As a side note, these parts , esp the back piece, are very hard to find at least here in the US

Not yet purchased any rubber! only happened just before Easter, and I've been flat chat since then!

I've had my car for about 8 months, so I'm guessing that the old rubber needed replacing, and they went with "near enough is good enough", hence it didn't fit properly, and went for a jump.

To my eyes, it would appear Scott has pretty much what is needed! Has anyone got experience with buying from him?

Tadpole

Yes, I'd be keen to know if anyone has purchased sun roof rubber from Scott's and whether it did the job? Looks like it might be the easiest place to track it down...

1000+ Posts

If all else fails just drill some holes in the floor and wear a rain coat...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Tadpole

Yeah thanks, but I don't think I'll be doing that...I think replacing the rubber sounds easier!

1000+ Posts

I know the 203 is different, but the main thing I've found is to find where the drain hoses empty and to blow them out with compressed air. It has Scotts rubbers and side felts but the rear rubber is ever so slightly too big so that when it is slammed firmly shut (I bet you don't slam a 504) it takes a lot of force to open it. When firmly closed, it doesn't leak at all but the water staining on the headlining indicates it has in the past.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    it's only the front ones that will block up and they are pretty easy to get to without pulling anything apart

they block up as they drain into the front guard and not out onto the road

the front guard fills up with crap and this kills the roof drainage

even so the front drains are not at the lowest point so the water doesn't completely drain and this is when the water ends up in the car
    Is it worth changing this? My 604 is parked slightly nose down so I suspect that this helps water to find the drain tubes, but I've never been happy with where the water ends up, in fact that void behind the front guard seems a horrible rust trap in its own write.

Here in the UK 604 always seem to rot where the guard meets the guard (edit: I meant sill). I'm tempted to cut the guard to make it removable, then I could remove it annually to remove any crap, hose out any salt resdie and waxoyl the void.

It seems like a silly place for the drain pipe to finish.
    Last edited by dieselnutjob; 29th April 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    Is it worth changing this? My 604 is parked slightly nose down so I suspect that this helps water to find the drain tubes, but I've never been happy with where the water ends up, in fact that void behind the front guard seems a horrible rust trap in its own write.

Here in the UK 604 always seem to rot where the guard meets the guard. I'm tempted to cut the guard to make it removable, then I could remove it annually to remove any crap, hose out any salt resdie and waxoyl the void.

the bottom of the front guard is very easy to clean out, there are only a couple of bolts on the lower edge to remove and the bottom of the front guard then swings out, do this and clean out behind it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Probably a daft question, but can you not extend the drainpipe to somewhere better?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

1000+ Posts

Default Brian Holm Peugeot

only just re found this guy he is in the states VERMONT he has a lot of 505 parts as he bought a lot of stuff when peugeot pulled out of north america ,you can find him on line ,i was chasing a vacuum pump for my 405 but received a prompt reply ,that they only had 405s that ran on gasolene in the US ,PUGS

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Probably a daft question, but can you not extend the drainpipe to somewhere better?

Mike.
    Well yes, that's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't want to make the problem worse though. The only way out of that void would be through the guard, or possibly through the inner wing into the wheel arch. It's a very odd piece of construction in that corner

Well yes, that's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't want to make the problem worse though. The only way out of that void would be through the guard, or possibly through the inner wing into the wheel arch. It's a very odd piece of construction in that corner
    the inner part of the guard there is where the speaker sits inside the footwell

underneath that is the front of the sill channel

going forward you are on the wheel arch

it's a no win situation and there really is no way to go anywhere else, the only solution is to pull the front guard every year and clean everything out

there are drain channels in the bottom of the guard there that need to be kept clean so that the water from the sunroof and the inner guard can drain away
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

what exactly is a "guard" in Aussie speak anyway? I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing

what exactly is a "guard" in Aussie speak anyway? I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing
    in pommie speak it would be a wing
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Today I pulled back the headlining enough to have a look at this. On the passenger side it was quite wet, and then I found the end of the rubber drain hose hanging loose.

And then I found that the rusty end of the pipe which should form part of the sunroof frame is stuck in the end of the hose and is no longer part of the frame

On the drivers side the drain pipe is still attached and when I pour water into the frame water does come out of the front wing.

I found an abandoned 604 about 3 hours drive from my house. The owner already gave me permission to steal parts from it. How hard is it to remove the sunroof frame from the roof? Is it bolted or welded it? Even if it is no better than mine I could remove it and have it repaired and then do a swap over.

The actual roof has some rot in it as well. The outer skin is fine but inside the roof aperture there is a second skin which has completely rusted away in places. I think that if I can drop the sunroof frame that my welding guy can probably fix the inside skin.

the whole thing is bolted to the roof of the car

remove all the lining and unbolt it and it will fall on your head

you won't get it out of the car though unless you remove either the front or rear screens and yes they are very awkward to move around in the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information