505 first run
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 505 first run

  1. #1
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,268

    Default 505 first run

    I ran the 505 in an Autocross yesterday.
    At first it was appalling, uncontrollable even in a straight line, using well worn road tyres, one wheel would spin then the other and the car fishtailed all over the place.
    As the surface became less loose and I drove with less right foot things improved markedly and ended up close to the pace on the last run which included sliding wide on the last corner then trying to accelerate down the final straight whilst in the loose stuff on the edge of the track.

    The 81 kw atw from the Douvrin 2.2 was excellent, plenty of go, probably better than the V6 in some ways.
    I still had the GR roll bars with the uprated suspension, I will fit the GTi front bar and see if stability improves.
    The Quaife and rally tyres will also make a big difference so the car could be quite competitive although would always be behind the 205 in this type of event.

    Advertisement


    Thanos, the springs gave a slight increase in height at the rear over the GR springs and in the front a slight drop c/w the GTi springs, I may need to shift the spring platform up before the Classic Outback Trial. I used the Eibach rear UK front combination that Brian organised. Shockers no problem so far, people were talking about the ruts, but I didn't notice them.

    Graham

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I ran the 505 in an Autocross yesterday.
    At first it was appalling, uncontrollable even in a straight line, using well worn road tyres, one wheel would spin then the other and the car fishtailed all over the place.
    As the surface became less loose and I drove with less right foot things improved markedly and ended up close to the pace on the last run which included sliding wide on the last corner then trying to accelerate down the final straight whilst in the loose stuff on the edge of the track.

    The 81 kw atw from the Douvrin 2.2 was excellent, plenty of go, probably better than the V6 in some ways.
    I still had the GR roll bars with the uprated suspension, I will fit the GTi front bar and see if stability improves.
    The Quaife and rally tyres will also make a big difference so the car could be quite competitive although would always be behind the 205 in this type of event.

    Thanos, the springs gave a slight increase in height at the rear over the GR springs and in the front a slight drop c/w the GTi springs, I may need to shift the spring platform up before the Classic Outback Trial. I used the Eibach rear UK front combination that Brian organised. Shockers no problem so far, people were talking about the ruts, but I didn't notice them.

    Graham

    Graham which autocross were you at?
    Kyneton was on yesterday and we forgot all about it. Every time we run we're the only Pugs running so it would be annoying if you went and we didn't.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Graham which autocross were you at?
    Kyneton was on yesterday and we forgot all about it. Every time we run we're the only Pugs running so it would be annoying if you went and we didn't.
    I was at the VCAS round at Bagshot.
    Lots of Kyneton people there so maybe would have had low numbers at Kyneton.
    Graham

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I was at the VCAS round at Bagshot.
    Lots of Kyneton people there so maybe would have had low numbers at Kyneton.
    Graham
    Ok, we usually dont run when there's a state round on. to busy and you don't get as many runs.

    Maybe Kyneton wasn't on, we forgot all about it and saw some cars on trailers in town so maybe they were coming back from Bagshot.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sunbury
    Posts
    377

    Default

    David, pretty sure Kyneton was on last weekend, although I didn't make it myself.

    Graham, how did the 505 fare after its altercation with a set of tyres at corner 3, on your second run? Looked like a nice line on the rear right quarter. And yes about the surface, very loose, not much good for RWD cars.
    Michael



    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    David, pretty sure Kyneton was on last weekend, although I didn't make it myself.

    Graham, how did the 505 fare after its altercation with a set of tyres at corner 3, on your second run? Looked like a nice line on the rear right quarter. And yes about the surface, very loose, not much good for RWD cars.
    I polished the marks out this morning.
    Got down to a 22 on the last run by being more consrvative but yes things could get away from you with RWD.
    Graham

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I ran the 505 in an Autocross yesterday.
    At first it was appalling, uncontrollable even in a straight line....
    ...Thanos, the springs gave a slight increase in height at the rear over the GR springs and in the front a slight drop c/w the GTi springs, I may need to shift the spring platform up before the Classic Outback Trial. I used the Eibach rear UK front combination that Brian organised. Shockers no problem so far, people were talking about the ruts, but I didn't notice them...
    It's really frustrating when the first run of a car is nothing like what you hope for. I am sure things will improve once the bugs are worked out.

    The rear spring height spacer was calculated for the narrower wheel track 504, you may need to increase spacer width by 15 mm or so for the 505.

    The UK fronts are a bit of a puzzle: Identical springs give a small (+ or - 15 mm) variation in height on the same car. I had the spring rates checked and they are the same, so is the height so I am scratching my head on that one. You can increase the front height by adding a 15 to 20 mm spacer under the strut tower and using longer top mount studs. But generally speaking with this suspension set up the front height is around 10 mm higher than standard and the rear around 30 mm higher than standard. I am using the same set up (springs and shocks and a 504 front, GR rear ARB) in the works coupe for the Acropolis.

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThanosK View Post
    It's really frustrating when the first run of a car is nothing like what you hope for. I am sure things will improve once the bugs are worked out.

    The rear spring height spacer was calculated for the narrower wheel track 504, you may need to increase spacer width by 15 mm or so for the 505.

    The UK fronts are a bit of a puzzle: Identical springs give a small (+ or - 15 mm) variation in height on the same car. I had the spring rates checked and they are the same, so is the height so I am scratching my head on that one. You can increase the front height by adding a 15 to 20 mm spacer under the strut tower and using longer top mount studs. But generally speaking with this suspension set up the front height is around 10 mm higher than standard and the rear around 30 mm higher than standard. I am using the same set up (springs and shocks and a 504 front, GR rear ARB) in the works coupe for the Acropolis.
    GR springs are very high so the rear is as expected.
    I'm sure the car will be good once it gets proper tyres and some other refinements, I had the tyres ready to go on but twisted my knee fitting the suspension and wasn't about to crawl in under the house to extract them.
    Graham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •