Need serious electonic/computer expertise
  • Register
  • Help

Default Need serious electonic/computer expertise

Help! I am getting "ABS/ESP fault" and "Auto gearbox failure"(only in sports mode) messages on my computer and I have now exhausted the knowledge of my normal mechanic and the gearbox guy despite their very thorough efforts.

Advertisement

So, before I drive it over a cliff, does anyone know of someone, in Victoria preferably, who is good at really getting into the computer electronics in these cars and diagnosing what is going on. Gearbox ECU thinks it is a Coupe (it is sedan) and Pug dealer has even tried to reprogram the software but can't get the car to accept it!

Thanks
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

I've no experience with 406's but I do have experience with ECU's saying things that they aren't supposed to

My ECU (admittedly primitive in comparison to yours) was giving out codes that were escalated to Peugeot in France, who came back with (those codes are not possible).

The ECU was sent away for diagnostics and came back with a completely clean bill of health. The problem in the end was that part of the loom had been rubbing on the bodywork and one wire had rubbed through the insulation and the shorting to the body was causing cutouts and spurious ECU codes.

So if all else has failed have a really good look at the wiring loom and make sure nothing has been rubbing and potentially shorting out.

edit: BTW I get the ABS fault light when the connections in the rear tailights need attention, though I suspect your 406 has multiplexing so it is unlikely you have a fault like that. I believe in my case the problem is caused by a faulty earth and earth returning through components it shouldn't! So checking earth's may be another thing to look at.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Default Bump

Just in case someone has missed the plea who may have a suggestion.

Thanks
    Andy

Current:
    Peugeot 508 Allure HDI 2012
    Previous:
    Peugeot 404 1969
    Peugeot 504 1970
    Peugeot 505 1983
    Peugeot 306 1999
    Peugeot 406 SV 2003

Thread Information