mi16 cutting out advice sought
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default mi16 cutting out advice sought

Driving along in the mk1mi, all sweet, back off, and all power, all dash lights, gone, engine off, nothing, keep rolling in neutral, touch nothing, dash lights return, clutch it and away we go, has happened about 5 times recently, is it possessed, could it be a faulty battery, all terminals clean and tidy. I told it i'd have it crushed, it laughed at me, think we will be buried together one day, but it has to get to the cemetary, any advice, about the cut out, not the cemetary, please.

Advertisement

Sounds like it could be a bad earth somewhere. Dont know much about the 405s...
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

+ 1 on a bad earth....

A bump may have upset a loose or faulty connection. You know the drum, make a checklist and carefully work your way through it : )

Fellow Frogger!

mm, with you, think I'll put him in the shed and drive old 505 faithfull, he'll probly fix himself , I'll go over all connections before I venture out again, regards Fish.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    mm, with you, think I'll put him in the shed and drive old 505 faithfull, he'll probly fix himself , I'll go over all connections before I venture out again, regards Fish.

You should stay with 205's matey....more reliable !!!
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Aahh I got the best of both worlds.

Check the ECU plug is nice and soundly connected with no corrosian on the pins and the plug that backs onto the ignition switch.

Also the earths to the engine.

... I had an experiance once where all earths leading to a big V8 were not connected after an install of a new engine. Big 460 buick If i remember....

Turned the key to start and "flash bang - smoke" etc Turned out the only way the engine was getting an earth was via the accelerator cable which in turn acted like a fuse - right beside a huge Holley carb and piss ant plastic fuel filter.

"....Am i missing an eye brow"
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Fellow Frogger!

Would have impressed you, did a similar thing with a beemer, left earth to engine off and it kept flashing out somthing that evades my memory, but it did it several times afore i woke up, anyway have a list of things to check but am starting to consider your ign switch idea, might change it first so ta for that and Roy ya bbig JR16, I know where you live with your prissy 205

Tadpole

My mi 16 died on me without warning, after much failure of diagnosis, fault lay in combo of bad plugs, bad rotor button and crank angle sensor. Now running beautifully

Hi Fish,

Sounds like the issue that we had with miss Cathie's Mi16 years ago. Don't have the car any more, so this is from memory, so bear with me...

Behind the battery there is a junction box of sorts that is, i think, mounted on the front side of the passenger's side strut tower. This holds a couple of fairly hefty fuses and maye a relay or two(?). There is a plastic cover over it so maybe not obvious. One of the fuses had just melted it's mount with age and there was an open circuit. Bypassed the wiring, and added a new fuse in it's own holder.

Fixed!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    John

Thread Information