407HDI - lost mag wheel locknut
  • Register
  • Help

Default 407HDI - lost mag wheel locknut

Sadly I have lost my special mag wheel locknut device. Dealer says 3 - 4 weeks and $250 from France because each one is unique to each individual car. I have tried reverse taper easyoffs but they just snap the wheelnut as per design (thief-proof). I am about to try and drill up the centre of each locknut!!!??? Any suggestions Froggers

Geoff

Advertisement

I'd at least try some dealer in the UK.

I can't believe the price!

Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by jory21 View Post
    Sadly I have lost my special mag wheel locknut device. Dealer says 3 - 4 weeks and $250 from France because each one is unique to each individual car. I have tried reverse taper easyoffs but they just snap the wheelnut as per design (thief-proof). I am about to try and drill up the centre of each locknut!!!??? Any suggestions Froggers

Geoff
    Is any part of the fixed and turning part simultaneously accessible?

I've removed nuts by welding them with MIG.

I have no clue what your setup is, but it may be an option.

They are impossible to weld as they reside very deep in the wheel itself. I had problems with the nut adapter slipping on the head of the bolt and it chewed the head so badly that it would no longer get the "bite" it needed to undo. The only way to undo it was to park very close to a brick wall and apply a scissor jack between the wall and the wheel brace and that allowed me to undo the wheel without slipping off.

Maybe you can do something similar by hammering a long socket of suitably tight fit onto the head of the wheel bolt and then apply jack pressure while trying to turn it.

I bought four regular wheel bolts from a wrecker and replaced all my lock bolts. No more problems.

1000+ Posts

Dave Cavanagh @ French Connection is wrecking a 407??????????

Pekay.

UFO

After reading of other's drama with these awful lock nuts, the next time my car was at the dealers it magically came away with four proper studs. All up cost? $20.

Best of luck getting the snapped studs out.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by jory21 View Post

Geoff
    Take the car to your local, friendly panel beater. When my car went in for some work they removed the wheels in no time at all without the locknut device. When I asked how they did it they told me that over time they collect heaps of locknut devices and they always manage to make one fit.
    Chances are that they will have something that is pretty close and be able to loosen the locknuts.
    Order some replacement non-locknut bolts to replace the locknut bolts (about $9 each from memory).

Thread Information