Peugeot 505 power steering question
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 505 power steering question

Regards,

I have disassamble steering racks of Peugeot 505 and here are some details:

The steering racks without power steering has the pinion gear with only 7 teeth, it is very small and you need to turn the steering wheel over one and half more then on power steering racks from center position to the end.

The steering rack with power steering up to year '84 has the pinion gear with 9 teeth.

Advertisement

The steering rack with power steering from year '84 and for later models has 10 teeth.

The turbo and V6 models has another spare part numbers of steering pinion and aluminum steering housing.
    I assume the pinion gear is bigger and has more teeth, maybe 11 or 12 teeth, I don't know. Has anybody opened Turbo and V6 steering rack and see how many teeth they have on pinion gear?

Thanks

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

there is also another interesting thing, that the rotor valve changes (at least it did here, in Argentina, from previous 86 to post 86)...

I've opened an SRDT and is the same than my SRi, I think 10 teeth.

Have in mind also, that there were available the VARIABLE power steering in some models...

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

1000+ Posts

Far as I know ALL Peugeot's had variable load power stg.. I think Ford have only succumbed to that despite MANY accidents[MAJOR!!!!] as people not used to the massive load difference normal & 'total' p.s.g..
    Wonder if Ford were ever challenged on this.
    I remember when[fortunately years ago now] when Ford denied [late 80's] that they had a problem with their auto gearboxes dropping into gear when idling-DESPITE paying out -at that stage around $700 million
    in payouts !!!!!!!!!!
    Interestingly Mercedes recently started telling us that they had 'stuff 'called 'Primary Safety'
    Funny how Pugs have had it for 'eons'.
    Many years ago when Mazda came out with 'rear steer' a guy who had just bought one asked me if Pugs 'had it'.I replied- no-but if & when they do it will be simple & effective-not complicated.That happened.
    Thing I have noticed with Peugeot it is never change for changes sake-or to wave a 'flag to brag' [now that is a good phrase is it not???].
    I am not saying Peugeot is perfect-some doozies have got through over the years- but I know that at the heart of Peugeot is sincerity.

Pekay.
    P.S. Many people used to comment to me on how nice the power stg. was on the 504 they were driving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I told them no pstg.As opposed to the guy who asked m,e what was wrong with the front-end on the absolutely immaculate 10 y.old Roller I had sold him as he was about to jump into a taxi -on way to the States[no not by cab].Car belonged to Arthur Goode-Chairman of the Stock Exchange.My response-'Nothing -after all it is a' Rolls Royce'& they really do not care about the driver.
    Many people used to ask me if I would recommend a Roller.'Definitely not was my response -but if you really want one I will find you the best one available'Finis.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Dear Pekay,
    Not all the 505 had variable power steering. But as all of them uses a principal of assisted steering, is it so that is so different to a normal hydraulic power steering. My english is very bad, but i'll try to explain:

On the 505 when you move the steering wheel, open a valve, that commands to move a hydraulic piston to overcome that movement, and the relative position of the valve becomes the same than previously. This is, what activates totally, 70, 50, 30 percent or not, assisted steering, while driving at high speed (no effort, then the valve does not rotate, or opens), low speed, opens slightly, depending on the sudden of turning (example, taking a open turn, is not the same than avoiding a dog)

This is one thing, and old ford did not have it (on them is completely hydraulic, there is practically no feeling of what is going on the front end), many accident have passed because of this.

But on Peugeot service manuals says that some models has this variable power steering, seems to be micro-controlled.

It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Tadpole

Only turbo petrol and V6 has different part numbers. The turbo diesel has the same as atmosphere diesel and atmosphere petrol.

The 505 Turbo petrol and V6 petrol with RHD were all with variable power steering. For LHD the variable power steering was optional.

Here are some pictures:

The both racks are from Peugeot 505 year '86. Manual steering rack 7 teeth pinion is from elementary GL model engine XN1A double carburettor (same XN6 engine only not injected) and power steering rack 10 teeth pinion is from SR model the same engine but with more equipment. Both racks has 34 teeth and are the same dimensions.

Tie rods for models fitted with ABS/ALB are 4 centimeters longer because are fitted with different front suspension.

yeah, but that is the short valve, to use cardanic joint... there is another type also, longer valve, to use elastic joint.

by valve, I mean the rotary valve, on the same axis than pinion

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    yeah, but that is the short valve, to use cardanic joint... there is another type also, longer valve, to use elastic joint.

by valve, I mean the rotary valve, on the same axis than pinion
    All turbo petrol and V6 had this rubber elastic joints and other model power steering had cardanic joint instead.

here the long valve (elastic joint) was used on previous models (both, local made and import)... then, I think after 86 or so, were all short valve and cardanic. Imported models I've seen over 86 used the short one, no matter version.

OH!!! the argentinan 404 karma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpucci View Post

OH!!! the argentinan 404 karma!!!

Tadpole

Here you can see that all Turbo petrol and V6 has rubber plate regardless of year. I think this is '87 but anyway after '86, 2nd serie.

http://www.lespeugeot505.com/

then klick on "mes travaux" and you will see on pictures chapter 7 and chapter 9.
    Last edited by Vjeko; 22nd April 2012 at 05:36 AM.

Thread Information