Faulty S16 Tail light (parker)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Faulty S16 Tail light (parker)

G'day all

Just having a little trouble with the passengers side rear tail lamp. The wiring is dodgy, as it is aged. However I have re-done the earths and bulbs, so they are fine.

Advertisement

Everything works accept the parker (left passengers side). Can anyone tell me the colour order and function for the two plugs that go into the tail lamp?

It has one brown plug with around 7 wires from memory and 1 white plug underneath with two wires, whilst the drivers side has two 7 wire plugs.

It seems that the wires in the brown plug (passenger's side) have been attached using a soldering iron. Don't think this is factory. One brown wire is loose. The white plug has the wires just slotted in at the moment as they broke off.

Any advice or knowledge would be helpful.

Cheers

I every now and then get weird problems with my electricals and it is always due to bad contacts in (I think) the right rear light cluster. I just pull the plugs and spray them with contact cleaner and put it back together (I do the left one for good measure as well). If you haven't already tried that it is definitely worth a shot.

The normal symptoms I get are:

blinker flashing faster than normal when the breaks are applied and the headlights are on (accompanied by the tail lights dimming on the opposite side to the blinker that is going.

ABS warning light comes on when putting the car into reverse with the head lights on and the foot on the brake.

I've never needed to do anything but spray with contact cleaner to resolve the issue.

I can dig out my haynes manual when I get home and see if it shows what the wires in the connector are for. I think that the reason the left light has a smaller plug is that the wiring for the left goes via the right one (but I'm not 100% certain about that).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I'm sure it has to do with the passenger's side as I giggled (lol) the plug and wires. Then tested and it worked. Put the plastic cover over light and guess what. No parker again. Both plugs look stuffed anyway. I'm wondering if someone on here has re-newed the plugs somehow?

OK the two pin plug on the left light cluster is for the number plate lights.

according the the haynes manual the six pin plug is wired as follows:

pin 1 stop light
    pin 2 Earth (which is connected to pin 5 on the right hand light cluster 6 pin plug and internally in the light cluster to pin 3 on the 10 pin plug. Wire M201
    pin 3 fog light
    pin 4 reverse light
    pin 5 tail light (also connects to pin 2 on the right cluster 6 pin plug which is internally connected to pin6 on the 10 pin plug) Wire V093
    pin 6 blinker

So if your number plate light works then I'd say you have a connection problem between the bulb itself and pin 5 on the connector. If your number plate light doesn't work then you probably have a problem with the connection on pin 5 of the left connector or pin 2 of the right 6 pin connector. It's also possible there is an internal fault between pins 2 of the 6 pin connector and pin 6 of the 10 pin connector on the right cluster.

I still reckon some contact cleaner is the best bet. Mine looked like they were clean, but the contact cleaner fixed it (just unplugging and replugging a few times didn't help)

If you have a multimeter you should be able to verify the above connections.

Tony.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 17th April 2012 at 09:53 PM.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information