306 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 questions

Icon5 306 questions

Hi guys !

Picked up my gf's 306 XR yesterday from the dealer. Car is in good condition and drives well, except he delaer refuse to fix the camblet and the tensioner...so I'm taking it to Autoparis next week.

At the same time, could someone shed some light on these issues:
    1. fuel cap won't close properly, can open with hand
    2. speedo needle is a bit loose, the speed is going up but bouncing up and down midly around2km/h intervals
    3. air con only gives hot air, i think it needs re-gassing, where's the best place ?

thanks heaps !!

Advertisement

Jason
    Last edited by J206GTI; 4th December 2003 at 11:48 AM.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    1. fuel cap won't close properly, can open with hand
    2. speedo needle is a bit loose, the speed is going up but bouncing up and down midly around2km/h intervals
    3. air con only gives hot air, i think it needs re-gassing, where's the best place ?

Jason,

1. Not sure about it try and find someone else's fuel cap and see if it fits properly, and if it does buy a new one?
    2. That's normal in N3 model 306's (which the 306XR is). It's really a left hand drive car. By making it into a right hand drive model, the speedo cable has two right angle bends in it (almost anyway). These bends ultimately cause the speedo to shake a bit as the cable ages. You can put a new cable in which will make it like new, but it's hardly worth it. I do realise you're in VIC which is probably why you're concerned.... Another note on this right hand drive thing - the clutch cable also has two right angle bends in it (in a LHD car, the clutch cable goes straight through the firewall). This means that the clutch cable can become notchy with age. For a ~1.5m cable it's pretty cheap - only just over $100 and it's easy enough to fit yourself if it's ever necessary.
    3. Anywhere you like. It's all a standard Sandon system like almost every other car aircon system on the road. Expect somewhere between $50 and $110 depending on whether it's all leaked out or just needs a topup.

Derek.

Thanks Derek.

Yes I am concerned about the speedo but I told my gf to take the lowest reading rather than the higher ones, since there's already a 3km/h difference !!

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to fix it as it seems the problem will come back eventually...

The clutch is relatively heavy comparing to my GTI, I guess being hydraulic in the 206 makes life easier !

Jason
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

The fuel ap I assume you are talking about the fuel filelr flap? Check that the retaining tab at the back is there. Looks like a very small house door latch. If so, try and lift the cap up and down until it locks into place. Sometimes mine doesnt go in right and the only thing holding the cap in the right place is the tension between the compressed latch and the side of the latch receptor.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Gem

One thing that could cause you just getting warm air when you have the air con on is that the little flap somewhere which opens and closes to let air con/normal air or the heated air, it flips between the two or something like that, can get broken and get stuck, so you may just have hot air coming in all the time. Mine is broken, but its the other way where I can't get heated air in the car. 6am starts in winter were awful!
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

I had a similar heater problem in my s16. Apparently the heater control unit commonly fails in the 306's. It may need a new unit, which costs 1100 new from Peugeot, or about half that from the wreckers.

Considering it is an XR, I am guessing it wouldn't have the same unit as the s16, so it may be a different fault!

Is your temp display working, if you'r not dispalying the right temp, the A/C wont work.
    Also the mirrors have the temp probes, sometimes, a crashed car wont have the plugs connected. Just a different POV. cheers Chris.
    ... ptui!

1. How do I check the flap ? where is it ??
    2. how do I get A/C display on the clock ?? The display is half faded...

Jason
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    2. how do I get A/C display on the clock ?? The display is half faded...
    The 306XR doesn't have the temperature display next to the clock. It was an XT and above spec only.

Derek.

Thread Information