Suggested GTi6 Upgrades
  • Register
  • Help

Default Suggested GTi6 Upgrades

Well I am looking to upgrade certain components on my car. I am wondering what parts from a 205 GTI are transferable and what modifications people have done to there 306's in the past.

The main upgrades I am looking at are suspension and brakes. Is it worth lowering the car and installing front and rear sway bars. Any advice and in particular suggested mechanics in Melbourne to undertake this work is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Sam

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Every one will tell you that the suspension is perfect.

The brakes are some of the largest peugeot make - get uprated pads and discs if you need more stop.

Sweet thanks, either way you will prob be doing the work on it anyway. Lol. So will just bug you for advice.

Fellow Frogger!

haha you have my number, call anytime for advice and the like.

Oh and nothing is worth transfering from 205GTI. Everything on the GTI6 is already contemporary upgrade of the 205.

If anything, fit a solid mountings to the rear beam. Rebuild that and fit thicker torsion bars. Not really worth lowering it unless you spend big $ on coilovers and set it up correctly. Look on the 306gti site over in the UK as they will have more of an idea than here. Lots of the guys fit 5 speed boxes to loose weight and gain more steering lock for the track.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I don't own a GTi6, but if I did, I'd be making sure the rear beam is in tip top condition. It's at that age now, along with other 306's, that the beam will fail in an identical manner to a 205. That means bearings, shafts, seals etc. It's the same design, just slightly wider.

Ditto with the front suspension bushes and shock mounts.

I'd fit some type of LSD. The only other thing I'd do is fit some slightly bigger cams. The standard ones are so small rob the engine of its true potential.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

When my Xsara was mostly stock I fitted a hybrid ARB that I got from the UK it's a good mod as it tames the rear steer, I've also fitted some solid rear mounts which got rid of the rear steer altogether but now I feel and hear every bump

Check everything is ok suspensionwise!!!!
    Cams (PeterT)
    LSD (Quaife from Palmside engineering Nz)
    Ecu ??? (Mines a predator plug and play from Uk)
    Hybrid or updated rear roll bar (Uk?)
    Solid front wishbone mounts (lynx engineering)

Still to come for me...
    Recondition rear beam
    Solid or group N rear mounts
    Lighter wheels.......

The list goes on.
    I speak from experience regarding suspension checking.
    When my Hybrid roll at went in the mechanic found the plate holding the original bar was flogged out. That explained why it was the rolliest Gti6 on earth. Solid wishbone mounts and Hybrid bar were the most staggering difference of all the mods I've done

I'm pretty happy with the engines pull, the only problems I feel is the suspension. It's very stiff and would just like to feel safer with a better set up. I'm not looking to lower is as I find it low enough already but I think softer springs and LSD sound like 2 good options.

I haven't driven a GTI-6 but an S16 has quite similar suspension setup, and I don't find it hard at all. I'm wondering if yours has been modified from original, could have stiffer springs or shocks or both.

One of the things Peugeot does very well is making cars that handle extremely well, whilst still maintaining a comfortable ride.

On the topic of the rear beam, getting the grease nipple mod done would probably be a good idea if it hasn't been done already.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I think to better advice you on what changes you might need / want to look at we need to know what, if anything has been done to the car.

a firm car is not unsafe, just less comfortable. This is personal preferance, i don't mind forgoing comfort for a nice firm ride.

Better pads and brake fluid will make a massive differance, but again depending on your preferance you might not like my brakes with loads of initial bit that make it feel like the car wants to throw you through the windscreen.

Are you after a nice soft comfortable cruisy ride or a sporty ride focused on best handling?

Bigger rear arb, bigger rear torsion bars, solid rear axle mounts = firmer more sporty ride.

As mentioned above nothing from the 205 is worth taking. Maybe the 205 hubs to get some more camber in the front (make sure the ball joint size is the same).

Camber / Caster adjustable top hats would help to improve front grip but will potentially wear tyres faster.

lots of suggestions like supercharging! just depends on what your actually looking for and how much $$$ you want to spend.

It's a long project and the ride is ok. It's when I accelerate that the wheel shakes like [email protected]#h. At 90-100 its all over the place and when I brake at a set of lights the wheel pulls to the left. Had a wheel alignment but that did very little. I

I think just a new set of decent tyres and new set of shocks should rectify this problem. How often are you meant to replace shocks as my 306 is at 155,000k's

I would never describe a standard gti6 as stiff. Have a knowledgable mechanic try and identify the shocks and springs, hard I know but really sounds like your car has been modified.

I have found the Arb (anti roll bar) mod has made a big difference to body roll with negligible difference to ride comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by trihardthlete View Post
    It's a long project and the ride is ok. It's when I accelerate that the wheel shakes like [email protected]#h. At 90-100 its all over the place and when I brake at a set of lights the wheel pulls to the left. Had a wheel alignment but that did very little. I

I think just a new set of decent tyres and new set of shocks should rectify this problem. How often are you meant to replace shocks as my 306 is at 155,000k's
    That sounds like your lower control arm bushes (and possibly engine mounts) are completely stuffed!! You probably should get the track rod ends and inner steering ball joints checked as well! I've not had any strut issues so not sure if the symptoms could be that, but I've never had anything that bad!!!

flogged out lower control arm bushes for me caused pretty severe torque steer under heavy acceleration plus pulling to one side when breaking heavily. I can't remember the symptoms when the track rod ends went, but something didn't feel right, I think it was wandery at speed.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Yeah I agree with the above - my car did the same thing when the control arm bushes where dead and also get a spanner on the control arm bolts. I had mine start to rattle loose (note I did a lot of quick gravel road driving) got to the point that even with a little throttle the car would pull left due to play in the arms.

My cars shocks where worn at 170,000km when I replaced the factory clutch also.

Kar: I found the arb in the 205 also helped with traction out of the corners as the outside rear pushed the inside front down a little giving it more grib. LSD worked better when that happened.

Spoox MotorSports in the UK are great for some parts, but if it's already stiff and pulling to one side, you might want to get it fully checked to see why, and re-think afterwards. Does the GTi6 have an Upright brace? If not try that and a Hybrid ARB. That will reduce body roll. Also try Lynx Power Engineering. There's afew guys on here that love their stuff.
    Wheels and tyres are a biggy. Go as light as you can afford. I recently added 16" OZ Racing Ultraleggera's and Pilot Sport 3's to my 2001 Rallye (upgraded XT to some), and it really changed the car. Each rim is about 2.5kgs lighter than the Std 15's. But not cheap. Either were the PS3's. about $2600 for those 2. Otherwise I would look at making the car lighter as much as poss.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon888 View Post
    Otherwise I would look at making the car lighter as much as poss.
    easier with a 2 door

Spoox is fooking expensive!

You can get the same stuff / equivenltent for much cheaper in other places. Bakerbm will do a lot of what you need for a fraction of the price.

Torsion bars and arbs you best off looking at the 205gtidrivers and 306 gti-6 owners forums for the group buys as one of the guys on both forums makes the for a lot of places includedung Peugeot sport.

Post up what your looking for and we can suggest a better place to get it from if you want.

The spoox engine mounts are vibra technics (spelling) and are the gold standard but the bakerbm stuff is awesome and 1/3rd the price - its what I use in my racecars.

Another suggestion would be to read up on 306gti6.com.
    Lots of info that you can make your own decision about. So much info.

Example. I just broke my engine mount cradle on the drivers side. After diagnosis I was able to sen my mechanic the link to a guide for fixing it and a day later the mounting point was fixed with hot moulded, plug welded piece and a chock to stop the engine mount moving with the engine torque.

So much info!

That's another good mod by the way, chock the top engine mount....

It sounds like your 306 has problems that need sorting before thinking about any upgrades. A healthy GTi6 is a very capable, well balanced car. I'd be getting someone with expertise in pugs to sort out the front and rear suspension first.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I have only had it for 4 months, I replaced the clutch, exhaust and tweeked the gear box. Was a lot of work to get it rego'd.

I have babomacho looking at it a bit and will get his opinion on the suspension. I'm not in a financial place to go doing $$$ mods just starting with the basics like the suspension.

Once this is fixed I will move onto wheel upgrades, LSD and the works.

Thread Information