FedGrapes' Peugeot Blog! - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FedGrapes' Peugeot Blog!

Default Festive Update

Festive Update!

Merry Christmas all! A warm welcome back to my quiet blog! It has been a long and busy time since my last update, and Iíll try to cover the salient points in this update! I have some text below in bold if you want to skip the essay to the important parts!

New Toys (Part 1)! 306 S16

After deciding that my partner and I would probably need another car between us next year, a 306 came up for sale on Aussiefrogs. At a good price, decent condition, and zippy engine, the decision to purchase was made. A grin forms in the corner of the driverís mouth on every trip, which is sometimes to my detriment; I often miss out, as my partner always wants to drive!

The bike plays well with the 306!

Since purchase, the 306 has had a bit of work done at the hands of Corrado. He does a very good job! The first visit was a check-up and general service. The second visit was for a broken gear linkage. I pulled the gear stick out of 5th before the clutch was fully depressed, and lost side to side movement on the gearbox. It is great fun driving through stop start traffic in hilly terrain using only 3rd and 4th gears! Certainly learnt a lot about the clutch in that short 2km drive!

One of the things we checked for when buying the car was evidence of a leaking heater core; did the heater work, and if so, was there evidence coolant in the foot wells? Nope! Seemed good to me!

Guess what?!

The heater core has broken. Symptoms include a slow loss of coolant, and presence of coolant in both the driver and passenger foot wells. The car hasnít overheated yet, as the cooling system has been kept up to the level with green juice. I have a new replacement heater to go in, and plan to do that before New Year ís . Iíd love any hints you guys have for things to look out for; which clips are tricky, and how to deal with them, hidden screws; sneaky cables that need to unplug.

Also happening while the dash is out:
    -Identify and fix problem front demister (the knob doesnít alter the airflow to the windscreen).
    -Check dash electrical connections, as the headlight indicator in the display often fails to illuminate (driving lights and high beams are fine though!).
    -Check fog light connections (one is not lighting up).

Then once that is done, I will need to go out and grab something to rejuvenate the black plastic trim. A dash mat will also be bought, as the dash is currently free of cracks (and it is shiny in the afternoon!)

I will also need to get a rear hatch motor, as mine has failed. See my thread in the wanted sub forum.

New Toys (Part 2)! Peugeot bicycle No# 2

I bought a mountain bike! This has already seen great use in Perth and Denmark to go for rides with my partner. Canadian made, a beautiful green colour, and a pleasure to ride. I'm looking forward to taking this around WA to explore many a trail! I think mud guards and a parcel shelf are on the agenda.

French Car Festival

October saw the Perth French Car Festival, and my attendance with both the 504 and the 306, and both the bikes. Saturday was an early start, as both cars got a clean, and a thorough polish. Later that night I parked my 504 near to the Supreme Court Gardens, and caught the bus home. The next day I drove the 306 in to the festival with the bikes loading in the boot, and went to collect the 504 (once the huge crane had stopped blocking the car park!).

The 306 was well received, and sidled up to 405 Mi16 (after keeping a spot amongst the 504s warm for the LTI). I slotted the 504 in amongst the others on display, and set up the bikes nearby (sorry beesty for having them a bit near to your beasty!). The 504 gained much attention, which I attribute to a combination of factors: being an LTI with the injection engine, and a sunroof; being a pleasing baby blue colour; having a notably young owner; and finally, LEAKING BRAKE FLUID.

There was a lot of knowledge, advice, and offers of help given by those present, and I have taken much of it on board. Again, sorry to beesty, I still intend to repaint in the original Mystic Green. I was the lucky winner of the redrawn door prize, and was provided the key to open the box of goodies. During the day, I signed my partner and myself to the Peugeot Car Club of Western Australia, which promises to be a fun adventure!

504 Updates

Letís start with the good news! A certain Perth based 504 Ti aficionado has opened his garage, and knowledge, and time to me. I am exceptionally grateful for this, and we have refurbished the leaking brake calliper together (and in the process fixed the issue of the sticking handbrake). I have another three to do myself now I know how!

Next piece of good news involves garages. My father and I have cleaned a space in the family garage in Sydney, and in that space a 504 GL now resides! Work will slowly commence on the bearings and brakes to enable a much smoother restoration process. I believe my dad also intends to install an engine crane, and a ground mounted wench to pull the car up out of the garage when necessary.

I have FINALLY found accommodation in Perth near to my university that is in my price range and will fit my belongings and HAS A GARAGE. The LTI will be living indoors again as of the 1st of January, 2013. This is probably some of the best news Iíve had for a while! So happy to have her out of the elements and in a place I can easily tinker.

No more fixing brakes like this!

Advertisement

I found this photo of a 504 in a colour I like. Possibly similar to what Mystic Green looks like?

Source: http://www.abload.de/img/mhv_peugeot_504ti_autgj7jf.jpg

Shall we continue to the list of ďI need to fix within a fortnightĒ? The rear left light cluster is performing strangely; the indicator works correctly, but when the brake light is activated simultaneously, the entire cluster starts to flash at a higher frequency. I imagine there is an electrical short, and a visual investigation should discover this.

And now to my biggest concern: the 504 LTI spewed out a bit more than a litre of coolant while waiting in a queue at a petrol station. The temperature was rising, but I think I turned off the car before the red was reached. I believe the leak was from the radiator, as it was near the front of the engine bay. It seemed to drip right under where the oil bath air filter is, but it may have drained along the mounts. I havenít had a good chance to get in and identify what is wrong; instinct tells me either the lower hose has failed, or the radiator itself (leaning towards the latter, due to the location of the flow). What should I check, and how should I check it?

I am strongly considering installing a Holden VL 30rb radiator to replace mine if broken. I will need to customise both the mounts, and the hoses. I like the idea of replacing the belt driven fan for a dual electric set up. Suggestions welcomed as to whether or not this is a good idea with a TI engine, and oil bath air filter? Should I get a new rad, or pop into the wreckers?

If you made it this far, my thanks for your time and Christmas wishes to you!

Cheers,
    Blake
    Last edited by FedGrapes; 26th December 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    The rear left light cluster is performing strangely; the indicator works correctly, but when the brake light is activated simultaneously, the entire cluster starts to flash at a higher frequency. I imagine there is an electrical short, and a visual investigation should discover this.
    Missing or dirty/corroded earth at the rear cluster.

And now to my biggest concern: the 504 LTI spewed out a bit more than a litre of coolant while waiting in a queue at a petrol station. The temperature was rising, but I think I turned off the car before the red was reached. I believe the leak was from the radiator, as it was near the front of the engine bay. It seemed to drip right under where the oil bath air filter is, but it may have drained along the mounts. I haven’t had a good chance to get in and identify what is wrong; instinct tells me either the lower hose has failed, or the radiator itself (leaning towards the latter, due to the location of the flow). What should I check, and how should I check it?
    Does your radiator have an overflow bottle or does it just overflow out of the side of the radiator (or, as originally fitted, a hose from the radiator cap fitting, down the driver's side of the radiator to the base)? The first thing to check is that the radiator cap is sealing correctly. Does your cooling fan cut in and cut out as it supposed to?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

While we are talking radiators, I'm ready to head away tomorrow in the 504 for a few days, and today I discovered that the radiator is leaking slightly. Seems to be from the core in the top corner near the cap. This radiator was recoed before it was fitted as part of the GTI conversion. Any reason why I should not add a can of Bars Leaks or similar tomorrow?

Nice update BTW Fed.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Missing or dirty/corroded earth at the rear cluster.
    Sounds about right I'll be getting in there tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Does your radiator have an overflow bottle or does it just overflow out of the side of the radiator (or, as originally fitted, a hose from the radiator cap fitting, down the driver's side of the radiator to the base)? The first thing to check is that the radiator cap is sealing correctly. Does your cooling fan cut in and cut out as it supposed to?
    Original hose down the side of the radiator. It has spilled from that hose before, when I overfilled the coolant level.

The cap appears to be good. Is there a way to check with the car not running?

I think the fan worked, as the car would get up to temperature and not overheat even in summer city driving. I assume this meant everything was working as intended!

Your help is always more than welcome, Scotty!

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    While we are talking radiators, I'm ready to head away tomorrow in the 504 for a few days, and today I discovered that the radiator is leaking slightly. Seems to be from the core in the top corner near the cap. This radiator was recoed before it was fitted as part of the GTI conversion. Any reason why I should not add a can of Bars Leaks or similar tomorrow?

Nice update BTW Fed.
    Cheers John! Make sure you update your own after the upcoming trip!

Also, my purely subjective vote is for the 406

As for your radiator query, I have no input. I am curious for the answer though!
    Last edited by FedGrapes; 27th December 2012 at 02:59 AM.

Grapes,
    The coolant level on a Peugeot [203. 403. 404. and 504] without overflow bottle will find its own level at around 30/40mm from the top.
    With the system in good condition the original 4lb cap is OK.
    A cap with an extreme release pressure will search out and find known cooling system weaknesses.

Happy New Year.
    Wildebeest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Grapes,
    The coolant level on a Peugeot [203. 403. 404. and 504] without overflow bottle will find its own level at around 30/40mm from the top.
    With the system in good condition the original 4lb cap is OK.
    A cap with an extreme release pressure will search out and find known cooling system weaknesses.

Happy New Year.
    Wildebeest.
    Happy New year to you, also!

The coolant level had found its place as you said, prior to this incident. I believe I have an appropriate cap; either 4 or 7 psi.

1000+ Posts

[QUOhey TE=FedGrapes;1053662]

Well, hardly surprising, but I'm a frogger now! Three pugs to my name, and counting. I decided it is probably best to have a single location for all my questions and updates!

The first member of my stable is a nice 1976 504 LTI. My plans for it are under way, and this car promises to be my love for many years to come! This thread here chronicles the buying and this the first few months of ownership.

The second member is a Peugeot 14 speed bicycle, from the 80s I believe. It says CAD on the frame. Spent $100 on it, then about twice that on accessories so I could ride it and maintain it. Nice piece of equipment! Glad I didn't buy something the same price at the supermarket!

Most recently is the 1974 504 GL, which can be seen here, that James S has been working on for 18 months (as much as he had time for). A trip to Canberra for a viewing returned with a piece of paper saying that I now owned another 504, and a bunch of parts. This car is going to under go a restoration to what I would call "good" working order. The project is scheduled to happen over the next summer, in Sydney. I will use the parts I bought from James (great to excellent/new condition) to do up the LTI, and use the parts from my car (good to great condition) to do up the GL. This project should yield a car for me, that is as I dream it to be, and a car for my father that is in nice running condition, and wouldn't look too poor at a French car day.

Possible next addition is a 1983 505 SRDT that is for sale in Perth. I'm looking for a car that is cheap and running fairly well to keep me on the road when my 504s are both off it! This is the 505!

Pictures and more details to come![/QUOTE]

1000+ Posts

Hey Fred-Looks like you have a Bunch of them.

Remember to take a look @ the Flamingo colour they had on the L.T.I.'s.-I still reckon it was the prettiest of them all BY MILES.

Cheers & enjoy the 'Disease'[At least it is a good infection to get !!!!!]

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hey Fred-Looks like you have a Bunch of them.

Remember to take a look @ the Flamingo colour they had on the L.T.I.'s.-I still reckon it was the prettiest of them all BY MILES.

Cheers & enjoy the 'Disease'[At least it is a good infection to get !!!!!]

Pekay.
    Pekay,

You've been that little voice on my shoulder now for nearly 2 years saying "you know, the flamingo red is pretty crash hot..."

I've ALMOST been convinced, but I think my heart is set on mystic green. Maybe I'll have to paint two of them!

Anyone have good photos to compare the two?!

Fed

(Update en route!)

That blue colour of your LTI looks pretty good to me

Mid-Year Update! (It's notwinter in Perth)

Greetingsall! It seems that a long time between drinks is the way of this blog! I'msitting out the back today in the sun, because Perth believes winter shouldn'tget below 20 degrees, and there is nary a cloud in sight!

A lothas happened in house FG, as I'm starting to be known here. Cheers, alexander!At the same time, however, very little has happened. Many things, like thisupdate, were put off until the end of my university semester... which is now!I'll break this down into a few parts; feel free to skip to the parts that youenjoy!

Last edited by FedGrapes; 2nd July 2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: I think I broke AF.

What's the Buzz?!

The year started at a sprint, getting the 306 in working order so I could move all my stuff to my new address. My partner did a fab job learning how to manoeuvre a trailer, and borrowed the family Camry to assist with a trip of the big furniture. The 504 was moved by a flatbed, as I hadn't had the chance to teach it to keep cool.

Good bye North Perth!

Since moving in, I have faced all the troubles of a new landlord:
    "When are we getting internet?"
    "When are you going to fix the internet?"
    "Did you know you can unlock my door with a credit card?"
    "The sand is not paved yet, nor is grass planted. When is this happening?"
    "Can the blinds be installed soon? I've been here three months already."

On the plus side, I can ride my bike to uni in 5 minutes, and the 504 is garaged! The first time it rained, I went into the garage and sat there watching it poor down outside. As winter came, I looked at the cars of my housemates covered in condensation, and felt a little bit snug.

Also out the front, a pig. It had a collar. Quite the exciting event for a city boy!

I travelled back to Sydney in February for more time with the family. Saw a lovely DS in the CBD one day!

Later in February I went to York for a swap meet. Fantastic experience! Picked up an oil can for myself, and saw a 203 for sale. Anyone interested?

I did a month of full time work in the CBD over summer, which ate up the rest of my free time, but padded my bank account for the coming semester (read: paid for repairs).

I discovered a nearby farmer's market that occurs every Saturday. For the last four months, my partner and I have done most of our fruit, veg, and egg shopping there. Pretty happy with the product! Occasionally we splash out and get a nice loaf of bread, or a non-homogenised milk (often the flavoured kind).

I joined a brass band to perform in the National Championships, as they were held in Perth over Easter. A nice challenge, and a nostalgic reunion with some old friends.

In April, PCCWA turned 30 this year. A lovely drive and afternoon tea was enjoyed by the club and its guests. My car disgraced itself by proving it needed more than a new radiator to stop the coolant leaking. Also, I stalled at a set of lights and left two cars behind. Sorry!

Uni had a huge workload this semester, and I don't think it's going to slack off from here in. A lot of vague requirements, with uncountable hours required for good marks. Living close certainly helped me get to all my classes though!

I discovered another 306 S16 in the uni car park! I said "Hi" to the owner as he was leaving when I arrived, and he mumbled something without making eye contact. He then drove off without looking at my car. Oh well, maybe next time I see him we can chat about our awesome cars!

To cap off one of my huge projects at uni, and to celebrate the public holiday, my partner and I took the 306 off for a long drive. Picnic basket in the back, we went round Mundaring Weir, then Noble Falls, and back via John Forrest for lunch. Nice long drive to stretch the legs (and break coils) of both the car and its occupants. Fabulous day, with the highlights below.

Ready to purr.

The captain’s chair.

The picnic basket of lunchtime delights!

Basking in the afternoon sun.

Oh fine, the water was nice too.

That brings us up to now!

Bicycles!

Earlier this year, I chanced upon a UE18 from 1976/1977, and picked it up for $50. Mostly intact, it just needs the rear light lens. It does need a little bit of TLC, but my partner is keen to do most of it herself!

I showed my workmates a photo of the bike, and one employee said he had a couple of them at home. I was a little incredulous that someone I knew would have old Peugeot mixte frames, but he insisted. I popped around, and found he did indeed. Not as good condition, but I plan to clean them up as well. One is yellow, the same year of 1976/77, and the other is metallic green, slightly newer, probably a '78. Maybe keep one, and move the other on. He also gave me 12 eggs from the chickens he keeps. Delicious!

I've been riding the Aubisque to and from uni upwards of five times a week. What a lovely piece of machinery. The plan is to pull it apart this winter, completely degrease it, and then put it back together with new cables, brakes, chain, and front tyre. I might get some fenders for it too, as the mud in winter isn't great (why do they even sell bikes without them?)

I managed to identify it as a 1991 model, probably August/September. Not as shnazzy as I thought, as it doesnít have the Reynolds frame, though still nice.

The mountain bike hasn't has as much use, as the path to uni is entirely paved along the quickest route. The ladies Gitane is likely looking at a new tube, and then sale. It just doesn't get used now the UE18 is around!

If anyone has a UE8 for sale, preferably mid 70s with as many accessories as possible, let me know. I am beyond keen. Do you want to sell yours, ChrisW?!

Cinq Cent Quatre, Part 1

For the life of me, I still can't work out how to properly pronounce this. Particularly the "quatre". Time will cure this I hope...

My LTI!

Not much time has been devoted to my own 504, as I've been ridiculously busy, and the bicycle and 306 have kept me mobile. I did have enough time to diagnose that my issue is likely the fan clutch. It just won't engage the fan properly! I have collected a few bits, and plan to pull out the entire cooling system. New rad, thermostat, water pump, and hoses (I plan on making these from Repco mix 'n' match 'n' cut). How do I go about replacing the fan clutch itself? Is it separate from the water pump? Do EAI stock them?

I found a stable mate of my XMO 420 in the PCCWA photo albums. I wonder if it still survives?

See something interesting about this photo?

Mystic Green! Is it my LTI?!

Nope, no sun roof. The search for history continues!

The 'old' GL

July 13th I fly back to Sydney for the first time in a long time. First on the agenda is sorting through the parts I have there, organising them, and potentially sending some to Sydney. The next thing to do is to free the brakes so the car can roll. The next thing to do is to get the thing running! I'll have to have a little dalliance with a carburettor... not sure how I feel about that!

Did I mention both 504's are now permanently garaged?! I'm a responsible car owner!

In related, and important, news; where can I buy 504 rear caliper kits? 4449.15 is the part number. EAI are out, and don't know where they are getting their next lot from.

Cinq Cent Quatre, Part 2

The 'new' 'GL' on the block

Settle in for a tale of how I acquired another 504!

I have spent a fair few days with my new found Mr TI friend. He informed me of a 504 GL that had a TI engine, which the owner was giving away. We went to investigate, and found a very tired looking 1978 (I think!) GL, that hadn't moved in half a decade. The owner was moving, and needed the vehicle gone. He still had a huge soft spot for it though, so wanted it to go somewhere to be loved. The hard news was that we didn't know anyone who would be willing to put the time or money into getting her back to shape. The good news was we could use a lot of her parts to keep out own TI's on the road.

Dealer fitted air con, tow ball, bull bar, and a boot full of parts including: as new rear lights, and a full set of shocks, and a good condition TI head. A few other little features like a working hazard light circuit, and an okay condition black interior.

Starting it consisted of taking round a battery, and seeing what happened. First thing to note, petrol spewing everywhere, so new fuel lines in the engine bay.

The next weekend, we went back. No leaks now, but no starting *chug chug chug chug*.
    -Cracked open the injection lines to make sure the pump was working properly. Got a little squirt from each, some not as strong. Good enough for gravy though!
    -Checked the air supply was good.
    -Checked the coil would give a jolt.
    -Checked the distributor was doing its job. Had to clean the distributor cap a bit, and make sure the connections were good. It had been waterproofed inside, quite nifty!
    -Pulled the plugs out, and they were black. Wire brushed them, and put them back in.
    -We had fuel, air, and spark. Time to turn it over!
    -Chug chug chug. Chug chug chuuuuuuuurg. Chuuurg churg chug brrrp churg brrrrrp brrrr vrooooom *COUGH* VROOOM gurgle gurgle gurgle.
    -WOO!
    -Black smoke ALL over the 306. Lesson learnt. We left, deciding to come back the following weekend with a movement permit, and drive around the block to test the drive train and brakes.

Cue next week. No starting. Just a steady old chug of the starter motor. We had a tight time limit, so left it. The owner was a little bit stressed, as his move date was looming. I offered to come back solo mid-week, and get the thing out, or organise a tow.

Tuesday comes around, and I pull the spark plugs out. As I guessed, they were soot black again after only 5 minutes running the previous week. I clean them up, check the rest of the connections in the engine, and then fire her up. Bingo. Plugs need cleaning if you want it to fire. Let the car run for a while to see what happens. Water spews out of the overflow tank. Excellent. The fan isn't spinning, so fiddle with the wires to see if I can get the fan to engage at all. Nope! Time for uni, so I leave for the day.

Wednesday! I rock up ready to screw the fan on to the hub, determined to get this thing moving. I have assurances that the drive train was good, and the clutch isn't that old in kilometres. The brakes appear to work well, and don't leak or have a sticky hand brake. After I screw the fan on, I try starting. No dice, I forgot to clean the plugs. I clean the plugs, she starts as I'm about to give up trying. Running much smoother than the first attempt now!

I let thirty minutes pass, and there is no sign of overheating, so I head off round the block after buying a permit to move online. Did you know how good 504 manuals are?! I didn't! Holy smooth, Batman! Everything seems good, I give the brakes a solid pump to straighten things out and grind some of the rust off.

The drive to my place was about 15 minutes, including suburban back streets, major roads, and the Freeway. No problems, I can sit in the right lane, and go at 60. Stick the hazards on if need be! The owner drives his old Volvo behind as an assurance, and as a lift back for me to the 306.

The back streets were slow to start with. I wanted an invitation with gold trim to take gaps in the traffic when turning right. The major roads were good, getting up to 60 and 70 (using my phone as a speedo. It wasn't that I didn't trust the speedo in the car, it was just that I didn't trust it) through all the gears very nicely. Enough acceleration still to keep up with mid-week, midday Perth traffic. Getting onto the freeway was trouble free around that sweeping on ramp; I noticed the traffic dropped away behind me. I let myself grin a little; thinking the 504 still has what it takes when near death. Once on the freeway, the car seemed happy enough to push up to 90 km an hour. That was my limit, and probably passed the limit of the car. Any faster brought the wheel alignment and suspension into question. As usual, plenty of people to overtake. Felt strange in a recently not working car.

I parked the 504 on the verge across the road. My vigilant neighbour reported it as unregistered, so it now lives down the battle-axe driveway of my place, on the sandy front yard. Of course, clean the plugs to get it to start for the 50 metre trip down the driveway.

Next Monday, Mr TI and I are heading to the country with the 504 to take it to its final resting place. Before that, we are going to check the pump's governor, and go over a few mechanicals to make sure we arrive. When we get there, the parts we want are coming off for our trip back to Perth. It goes onto brick piles, and lives out its days as a part store and shed ornament.

Xavior the 306!

Or is it Jadzia? I keep calling the 306 a "she", and Xavior is meant to be the polar opposite of "she" in a name. There’s no way anyone is going to let me call my kids Xavior or Jadzia, so those go to non-human dependants. I might name my computer system Xavior “Xavior, switch the phone to silent.” “Xavior, please close the curtains.” “Xavior, what day is it?” “Xavior, what time did Jadzia drive in last night?”

Anyway! What a little work horse this has been! My partner moved out of home, and lost use of the family car. Xavior lives with her now, and takes her to work and back. I get Jadzia in the evenings, and we go to band rehearsal and my work. Sometimes I get visitation rights on the weekend.

I have a huge list of things I want to fix on this car, and I'm slowly working through them. Each time something gets fixed, something preventative gets done as well. I'd like to go for the prize awarded to late model pugs at the French Car Festival. Staunch competition from some of those 205s and 405s! The car really is in pretty good condition, you'll notice a lot of the items are small functionality things, or minor aesthetics. A lot of the mechanical work required has been done!

Firstly! I replaced the heater core! Outside, in summer, with no shade. It took the better part of a week, when Perth was experiencing 40 degree days. I could manage 5 hours, then inside to collapse.

Bits removed from dash.

I worked out a better way to store the bits for NEXT time.

This looked worse in person, and under the dash was scary.

WHO DESIGNED THAT BLOODY GROMMET.

I got it back in, and I rejoiced a lot. I got to see all the broken things inside the dash. I also decided the reason the heater core was leaking was likely a missing screw at the top where it connects to the two incoming pipes. That made me a little upset once the thing was out. If anyone wants help with this, drop me a line.

In the new home!

In a cruel case of irony, if you use the heater, the fuse blows and you can't turn it off. Not great in Perth. Any ideas? I think that the servo that controls the air direction is dying, and that it blows the fuse.

The aforementioned list of repairs and required parts is as seen below (bold is of importance):

-Front fog lights (missing a cover on one)
    -Front passenger side headlight (has heat damage at the top of the cover. Are they meant to be yellowish all over?)
    -Rear wiper motor (water must squirt through)
    -Side mirrors (Both are very wobbly!)
    -Dual diaphragms from the AVAC system's pods. (These diaphragms appear to work occasionally, but spares would be GREAT)
    -AVAC solenoid (This doesn't always work. Where do you get these?)
    -Cabin central fan fascia (I hate the word "pry")
    -Fan control module with all cables (a couple of my cables and their mounting points have snapped, a backup fan control would be useful)
    -Heater blower motor
    -Motor that changes the air flow from heater to aircon
    -Motor that changes the air flow from recirculate to external
    -Fix broken plastic behind speedo gauge to fix water temp and head light indicators.
    -Install piping behind steering wheel for driver's side air con vent.
    -Fix alarm wiring with shrink wrap, instead of the monkey's job of a rat’s nest the aftermarket central locking is.
    -Front driver's wiper is not effective (New Valeo blade, can I increase the pressure from the spring?)
    -Front passenger side rattles on take-off (no idea what this is! Wheel bolts are tight, and no debris in there)
    -Brakes wobble on braking. New rotors required (also starting to groan when coming to a stop)
    -New hatch struts, to stop getting bruises on my noggin
    -Pre-existing panel damage, small bump to the rear, and a dent in the roof. A couple of car park dings.
    -Small amounts of rust bubbles around car.
    -Restore black trim
    -Front lion badge, as mine doesn't have the chrome trim around the lion.

That list is daunting. The car is fine! It just needs a bit of love.

The biggest thing at the moment is the leaking top radiator hose. I have a full set of Samco hoses on order from Merlin Motorsport UK, which should solve that, and pre-empt the death of the lower hose. Also to go in is a second hand fan assembly from N5GTi6, to replace the in situ one with a stuffed fan.

A few months ago, the 306 got a MAJOR service from Eurocare. New radiator, mid + rear muffler, timing belt + water pump + harmonic balancer. A few other smaller bits. Things I'd prefer not to do without lifting equipment and a 2nd set of hands, and not without experience!

Xavior slowly lost a coil recently, and a quick trip to Corrado once a part was in saw us installing it together. Another week passed, and another coil died. So I bought 4, replaced the other 3 old ones, and now keep a spare. Bloody French car doesn't like inspiring confidence in my partner...

Coda

On Wednesday afternoon I will be looking at a 1998 406 SV, whose task will be assist in keeping me and my partner mobile while works are undertaken on cars and bicycles. Not a long term investment if purchased, and from the reputation of the auto gearbox, not a long term investment full stop. I’ll be back with pictures if enters our garage.

Thanks for reading as much as you could of this HUGE update! I’ll try to make them more frequent, and slightly smaller. If it is any consolation, I spent all day writing it, and getting my photos sorted.

Any and all responses are appreciated. Respond to a joke you liked (I think I did a funny somewhere in there. It might come off a bit dry.), tell me I should get a Citroen (sorry, I don’t have enough expertise or money yet for a BX, let alone a CX/DS), or re write the whole damn thing in French with a pronunciation guide for me!

See you all next time!

Greetings all!

A week is in no way the same as half a year, so perhaps this is an improvement in update frequency?!

The 406 was gone before I looked, so all that help and advice was appreciated, but not applied. Oh well!

Cars are out of the budget for now, due some dental work. What's the going rate for a filing these days? The quote is for 160-190 each, with no cumulatively reducing labour charge.

That means I must redouble my efforts of the tools at my disposal.

The LTI!

The cooling system is getting a complete reworking. New pump, new thermostat, cleaned out and potentially recondition/replace radiator, service of the carbon brush and checking the thermo switches.

First issue: how do I remove that bloody plug on the bottom of the block? I can't get enough leverage while lying under the car, and I feel like I might be missing something obvious. Any wisdom?

In the process, I need to disconnect the auto gearbox from the radiator. I decided it would be good to drain the whole thing, and it was suggested I'd need to remove the gearbox sump. It's this the case? Is there a plug somewhere I can drain from? If not, where do I go about finding a new gasket?

306 News!

New filters have been ordered for fuel, air, and oil. Second hand radiator fans ready to go in. These shiny new toys arrived yesterday:

Looking forward to the big works coming up soon!

Brought to you by Fed's mobile!

Up Jumped Winter (Spring hasn’t sprung.)

Hi guys!

It’s been a long time in pug land here! It feels like I’ve covered quite a bit of bad luck in that period, too!

Bicycles

I put some time aside, and did the brakes, tubes and tyres of the bikes with my partner. Her UE18 and my mountain bike came up great! I put some mud guards on the Aubisque, as Perth has been rather wet this winter. I chose to stick a Continental Gatorskin on the rear wheel, because I didn’t like the idea of patching it on the go.

Bad idea.

Since fitting a fortnight ago, I’ve gone through three tubes, and I slashed side wall of the tyre. Spectacular bad luck. New tubes and tyre soon, I’ll buy online this time because the tyre cost me $70.

504 TI (ex GL)

This car caused a headache when we tried to get it out to York. Complete refusal to come to life. Start motor sounded like a dying dog. Next headache when the landlord claimed that “other tenants had issues with it being in the driveway.” This was code talk for him not wanting it around, which I interpreted as him wanting it out of sight. SO I stuck it in the garage. Push push push.

New plan, take the bits off it, and sell the shell. Does anyone want anything?

Coincidently, the starter motor doesn’t turn anymore.

306 S16

A little bump on the passenger side below the headlight has mostly been sorted. A new hockey stick and a temporary headlight have things looking fine! The original headlight is going to be taken for repairs to the mount points, and then reinstalled with the glass replaced.

Major service has been done, and the main SAMCO hoses are in now.

Other than that, doing rather well!

Does anyone know where to get parts for the AVAC system?

Can anyone suggest things that can cause the car to take a while to start? It’s usually 6-7 cranks before firing, sometimes longer. Far fewer when warm. The problem has existed from purchase to now, without change. Battery has been suggested as a culprit, but a different battery showed no difference. Thoughts?

504 LTI

I learnt some new French words recently. A lot of work and learning went into changing the water pump, some hoses, and sorting out the fan. Spectacular performance for three weeks! Except starting slowly got worse, and now the starter doesn’t turn at all. I think the actual motor is buggered, because I still get a click from the solenoid when attempting to start. The battery is fine, I’ve checked the connections. The starter was reconditioned in 2003 according to the label on it.

If it isn’t broken, my money is on the inhibitor switch. I think the click indicates that isn’t the problem, but I am still going to attempt to hot wire the starter. My reverse lights are currently not working, which does lead me to suspect the N/P switch.

I got a quote to take out the small bump in the front valance and bumper. $500, not including the R&Rs. I don’t have that cash to spend yet.

505 STI

The realities of keeping a 504 as a daily driver without a complete restoration first are starting to unfold. It spends more time off the road than on, because I have trouble finding the time to get into the engine bay. Sharing the 306 with my partner stretches our resources a bit thin, as we live 10 minutes from each other, not together.

Thus, another car was desired. To get me around, and return my partner’s mobility in the evening when I’m often out and about in the S16. Enter the 505 STI, Series 1, 1986.

The price was right and the condition rather good.

The first stop for it is a rego inspection on Thursday morning. Any general advice would be welcomed, as it will be my first (scary WA laws only require payment of bills on time to keep things registered). If anyone has a specific comment about inspections in WA, I’m heading to the Welshpool centre.

Well, that’s it for now! I’ll get some pictures up some time soon!

306 S16

The bump has mostly been fixed now!

505 STI
    A short lived relationship. Hopefully someone else can find use for her!

Some nights, work finishes late on cars! The above was taken at nearly 1am!

French Car Festival, 2013

The mighty 504 overcame a very nearly dead starter motor to get to the festivities!

I was last out, because I didn't want to push my luck in front of everyone! The starter has since been replaced, but she did me proud when I needed her to!

If I hadn't just bought the 505, this would have been receiving an offer from me!

Decided to go for a river side drive on the way home, and enjoy the sun. A lovely day!
    Last edited by FedGrapes; 12th August 2014 at 02:28 AM.

Default Lost in Space

Teach me to suck eggs here for a second; where is the engine number on a 505 STI?! I'm required to find it for rego.

Any got a 505 workshop manual they'd like to move on? I'm in the market for one...

Amelie
    Citroen BX 19 TZI Break

Everybody, Amelie. Amelie, everybody. The newest member of my family since last Sunday. JohnW parted with her, but I think we'll probably see him around fairly often.

She's still PSA, that counts as not crossing the fence too far, yeah?

As you can see, she's a very capable work horse, and I'm completely smitten after our first 500kms together.

A romantic rendezvous with the water's edge during Perth's fog last Friday.

I've found she has quite a green streak, too.

The menagerie as it stands!

Life is hectic and stressful at the moment, and having Amelie around is really helping simplify things.

My 504 is waiting on a bit of fixing, after I decided that the best use of a radiator was hugging other cars' rear bumpers. The 306 is now officially entirely my partner's car. The 505 is for sale! The other 504 is due for the metal eaters, as I'm moving house soon, and will no longer have as much space.

I hope to see a lot of you at the French Car Festival this year! It was good to see a bunch of you at the Sydney AFCD. Did anyone else see that Delorean in the car park?!
    Last edited by FedGrapes; 12th August 2014 at 02:48 AM.
    mclouj likes this.

Hi fedgrapes, on the avac system, I assume that the solenoid and vacuum pods are no longer available from Peugeot? It's a long time since I bought them. Originally Peugeot would only sell you a whole inlet manifold but after a few years they started to sell the pods individually. I considered buying a couple of spares (after replacing the two original ones) but never did.

My solenoid failed in such a way it stopped working when it was hot. Was fine cold. If you have the same problem you could try relocating it to somewhere it doesn't get hot, and just run longer hoses (I never tried that I just replaced it).

Try ebay UK (do you have the peugeot part number?) I can get it if you need it.

The whole system is pretty simple. I imagine that an alternate solenoid could be manufactured if stuck. basically it is a two way valve. When power is applied the vacuum from the vacuum pump is routed to the vacuum pods. when power is removed the vaccum is blocked, and the vaccuum pods are vented to atmosphere.

I'm interested to hear what the issue was with the demister. I have the same problem (and also need to do the heater core). Mine gets some air to the demisters, but not as much as it should.

Also I'd seen that samco hose kit before but the MK4 S16 through me. I figured it must be a GTI6 hose kit (I think they were called S16's in certain places). I do need a new top hose (got a bottom one recently), so that is a possible option.

edit: part number for vacuum pods is 0363 61 part number for electro Valve is 0363 38

google search turned up a few hits in Russia... translation with google translate not so crash hot.

This is not the correct part number but looks very similar in appearance... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-P...item4ac0e9a0ae

Tony.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 13th August 2014 at 11:05 PM.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Hi fedgrapes, on the avac system, I assume that the solenoid and vacuum pods are no longer available from Peugeot? It's a long time since I bought them. Originally Peugeot would only sell you a whole inlet manifold but after a few years they started to sell the pods individually. I considered buying a couple of spares (after replacing the two original ones) but never did.

My solenoid failed in such a way it stopped working when it was hot. Was fine cold. If you have the same problem you could try relocating it to somewhere it doesn't get hot, and just run longer hoses (I never tried that I just replaced it).

Try ebay UK (do you have the peugeot part number?) I can get it if you need it.

The whole system is pretty simple. I imagine that an alternate solenoid could be manufactured if stuck. basically it is a two way valve. When power is applied the vacuum from the vacuum pump is routed to the vacuum pods. when power is removed the vaccum is blocked, and the vaccuum pods are vented to atmosphere.

I'm interested to hear what the issue was with the demister. I have the same problem (and also need to do the heater core). Mine gets some air to the demisters, but not as much as it should.

Also I'd seen that samco hose kit before but the MK4 S16 through me. I figured it must be a GTI6 hose kit (I think they were called S16's in certain places). I do need a new top hose (got a bottom one recently), so that is a possible option.

edit: part number for vacuum pods is 0363 61 part number for electro Valve is 0363 38

google search turned up a few hits in Russia... translation with google translate not so crash hot.

This is not the correct part number but looks very similar in appearance... Genuine Peugeot Citroen 1 5 TUD 1 8 1 9 2 1 XU Diesel EGR Electro Valve 1628V3 | eBay

Tony.
    Hi Tony!

Thanks for the info regarding the AVAC system! I ended up buying a near new one from Graham Wallis with both pods and solenoid. I'll be getting some new vacuum hoses soon to fit it.

The demister issue is a broken clip on the control cables behind the dial. The cable and sheath can move when you turn the knob, so it doesn't turn the flaps properly!

The top hose is definitely good, but the inner hoses aren't on yet.

Oh, the starting problem was a dead starter motor. The magnets had unstuck, and 2 of of them were broken apart and strewn inside the casing. New starter went in to fix it up!

Ah thanks, that sounds like a relatively easy fix for the demister! I was trying to think of what could be the starting issue, and couldn't think of anything, but yes my starter went like that too (mine completely jammed) It is amazing how much faster it turns over when you put a new one in! Glad you got the AVAC sorted. It got me thinking about tracking down some spare parts for when mine inevitably goes again..

I might relocate the electro valve ( I didn't install the new one on the side of the head originally but the mechanic put it back there at some point). I figure if it doesn't get hot it is less likely to fail.

I may get that samco kit (though I will try for black). bit on the expensive side, but a lot cheaper than a blown head gasket!!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information