405 SRDT Injector pump leak???
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 SRDT Injector pump leak???

Hello , I suspect there is not an inexpensive solution to this problem but I live in hope??? My much loved 405 has developed a fuel leak on start up from cold. It drops about a cupfull of diesel on sthe first start up of the day. It then settles down pretty qickly and seems OK for the rest of the day. I suspect some sort of seal shrinkage or hardening in the Bosch injector pump. Is there an easy fix??/ Could it be something else?? Am I clutching at straws or is the beloved 405 best retired??? Any and all advice welcomed Thanks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by glenough View Post
    Hello , I suspect there is not an inexpensive solution to this problem but I live in hope??? My much loved 405 has developed a fuel leak on start up from cold. It drops about a cupfull of diesel on sthe first start up of the day. It then settles down pretty qickly and seems OK for the rest of the day. I suspect some sort of seal shrinkage or hardening in the Bosch injector pump. Is there an easy fix??/ Could it be something else?? Am I clutching at straws or is the beloved 405 best retired??? Any and all advice welcomed Thanks
    Does it start promptly?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you sure it's coming from the pump ??

sounds like a filter O ring failure to me
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Default Both start promptly

The car starts well after glowing without a problem at all. The leak also starts promptly and then seems to diminish quickly as well. I am assuming the leak is from the pump. Although I cant see anything from the top of ther engine. Where is this filter and its O ring situated??? Thanks for you help so far

The car starts well after glowing without a problem at all.
    It doesn't sound like your pump is stuffed. As Pugrambo says, it's probably the filter or the hoses to and from the pump.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

unfortunately it's an inevitable problem for the SRDT. Something to do with ULSD destroying the seals... A once off change to trendy new seals will fix the problem once and for all... While you're at it overhaul the fuel pump...

Monsieur 405

Fellow Frogger!

Default Does Bio Diesel Help???????????

I think I can remember reading somewhere on Aussie frogs that Bio Diesel will swell seals and help with leaks from the injector pump. Is this the case has anyone experienced this????

I think I can remember reading somewhere on Aussie frogs that Bio Diesel will swell seals and help with leaks from the injector pump. Is this the case has anyone experienced this????
    If it is the pump then you should expect a figure approaching $1,000 for a full overhaul.

I recently had my nephew's car's pump overhauled and it was $600 labour plus parts. ($985 in total)

Where is the leak coming from? Can you provide some pictures?
    Have someone watch when you start the car.

1000+ Posts

Default pump

before you start pulling things apart you need to find where the diesel is leaking from,seems a bit of a mystery that it leaks for a while then stops ,can you put some paper down under the car to try and locate where its coming from ,if it starts ok would seem that the suction side of the pump is ok [not loosing prime ]if its on the output side of the pump one would expect it to leak all the time it is running ,possibly the shaft seal on the pulley end of the pump ,keep us posted PUGS

Tadpole

No way shes retired yet! , the bosch pump will outlast the engine given the fuel filter is kept to date etc.
    At the top of the fuel pump rhs is a 10mm hose going to the intercooler, and just underneath is a 5mm bleed off hose going into a 4 in 1 junction.
    Check that it hasnt come off as it has no clamps and could be brittle after years of service.

1000+ Posts

Default second that

that bleed off line also daisy chains from injector to injector so any of those little pipes could be loose or broken ,get some from any diesel place PUGS

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Thanks for the repliies It makes sense that it is a bleed of hose as the pump works fine. The way I figur it if there was leak before the pump it would suck in air and if after the pump it woulg spray pressurised fuel every where. The leak is from below the pump as from the top is clean and I can see nothing. I had the alternator changed recently. Could the mechanic have knock the hose off during the change over???

Fellow Frogger!

Default What model Bosch pump??

Hello can anyone advise what model Bosch Injector pump is used on a 1994 405 SRDT Thanks

Tadpole

It is a Bosch VE pump.
    Last edited by 405srdt; 19th April 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: edit

Thread Information