504 shifter plate color
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 shifter plate color

The shifter plate (the two plastic pieces surrounding the gear selector) on my 74 504 GL automatique was a bit rough so I pulled a better one out of a 79 504D. All good, the better plate fit in perfectly and I didnt have to change the bulb that sits beneath the plate. However, I took the car out for its first night drive and realized that while the PRNDL on the old plate glowed a nice green that matched the greenish glow of the dash, the newer plate glowed orange! Who would have guessed that Peugeot made two different shifter plates, identical in every way except for (presumably) the colored film embeded in the PRNDL? This is a very minor point but i was just wondering what color yours is, if the color varied by year or model, and if anyone has taken these plates apart to get a look inside.

Advertisement

1976 LTI, with a green glow. The orange sounds weird to me! Green glow suits the time of the car!

I pulled mine out when I was diagnosing a rattle in the gear selector.

1000+ Posts

May be worthwhile painting the globe blue and see if the colours mix to green!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Fed and pugnut, I did take a look inside the shifter plate and its clear that a thick piece of transparent colored plastic, either green or orange (or other colors too for all I know), sits beneath the PRN321 of the shifter plate, totally inaccessible unless you break open the plate and re-glue which would be very iffy on 35+ year old plastic. I had this same feeling after searching through the 6+ different types of radiators used on the 504, why, oh why are the French so opposed to mass production?

1000+ Posts

Gentlemen if I am not ill informed the best 'nightcolour' to use @ night is orange-that is why it is used on aeroplanes for night flying.From memory it was in the last of the 504's in Aus. & totally in the 505's.
    as for mass production changes I would say that they have far less changes for changes sake.Usually a change as improvements are made.Peugeot reduced their major model changes back to 8 years 25? years ago.Intermediate changes coming at around 4 years.
    From what I know Honda make changes every 6 months {I hate that type of manipulation].
    Probably the best one I have witnessed was a guy I know bought 3 Mazda 'tree to trees'[Tarzan's favorite car] hoping to make I good out of the three.Wonderful project-very enterprising-NOT ONE PART FROM ANY OF THE CARS WAS INTERCHANGEABLE.!!!!!!!.
    I have never gone in to the detail but it seems to me B.m.W's & Subaru make major changes more than most.
    Sometimes I think that Peugeot's minor changes are actually major but not to the undiscerning.Many years ago a lady walked into Peck & Stokes -Spoke to Mark Goodall-asked about the new 'facelift 306.Mark described the changes.Lady stated how much she loved her 306 but just wanted something that looked different.Said that she was going to look 2 everything else on the market REGARDLESS OF PRICE.Mark responded that that was a great idea.
    Lady returns a week or so later exclaiming that she drove everything available regardless of price & that nothing came near her 4 y.old 306 with 90,000? klicks so we was very happily keeping her Pug & was not going to waste her money on any of that other garbage.
    Mark responded by handing her some keys saying while you are here you can take the new car for a drive if you like.
    Lady returns-jumping out of her skin -saying that she wanted to take a new one home there & then.
    Wise lady-obviously not cash strapped -Obviously very discerning.
    Among other cars Peck & Stokes also sold B.M.'s.Jaguars,Saab's & Subarus.
    Pug radiator changes-504 1.8 man/Auto-2 litre man/auto/ diesel.Trying to recall if the injected models differed but do not think so.
    Anyway hopefully someone out there will post you the right one though did not the early covers have chrome finish whereas the latter were satin??? I think I have one in the 'somewhere' department. So if I find it somewhere I will definitely give a yell.

Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Pekay, very amusing about the three non-interchangable Mazdas, I guess I'll count my blessings with the 504. Interesting about the chrome vs satin. The plates from the '74 and '79 504s i have are both what i would call satin with the region around the PRN321 being a chrome tape, no discernable difference between the two (except the color at night). And yeah, the orange is more visible but I'm with Fed, the green looks betterhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/graemlins/cheers.gif

Thread Information