• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: 205 GTI 8V Turbo Project

Icon10 205 GTI 8V Turbo Project

Hi to everyone,

I have recently taken over Cam's 8V turbo project for my S3 94 205 GTI

I already have the engine (thanks Cam for storage!! I might need to pay rent soon..)

I have already uprated the brakes from a 307 2.0.... (283mm discs) and will be fitting a 406 non abs master cylinder to reduce the pedal travel and a smaller brake servo (7") from an SI to clear the Turbo pipework.

I plan to fit a Quaife LSD as the next step to preparing the car for the transplant and overhaul the rear beam and upgrade the front struts to Bilstein B6 with the standard springs.

Advertisement

I also need to fit an intercooler (gulp) without modifying too much. I was going to try and keep the A/C but it seems like an impossibility at the moment.

With that said, before I go much further... I want to speak with a mechanical engineer to determine whether or not the car needs an engineers report (should have done this first) and whether I'll be able to register the car at all. The questionable points are:

a) the 8v turbo engine was not available as an option on the 205 though it was on the (406) so does it therefore need to be engineered?

b) the engine being stock standard and of the same manufacturer means that this is simply an "owner certified modification" as the same displacement engine with a power increase from 130bhp to 150bhp therefore not requiring an engineers report..

c) I'm only interested in doing this properly and don't want to get all the work done to find out I can't drive on the road....

Any questions / input welcome...

Simon

I'm a mechanical engineer, but not RTA recognised.......... I'll try to answer your questions anyway.

Preamble - yes it can be registered as engine is newer than car.

a) not necessarily
    b) the horsepower increase is not significant. If you were dropping a 3L into it, and increasing the mass at the same time, you may have to upgrade the brakes. Does it have rear discs? He'll like the bigger discs on the front.
    c) good idea. Pay the money to the engineer. It's makes getting a blue slip so much easier.

They love turbos as a power upgrade as they're clean, compared to a 16V with throttle bodies and cams. Contact the RTA and get the list of approved engineers. There's an older guy in Annangrove/Dural who's very good and will answer your questions over the phone.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Any updates on this??

I plan on turbocharging my 8v soon. I know this is an old thread but any news on this?

If its any help my Turbo Technics 1.9 8V is legal and was approved in QLD when John owned it and imported it.
    I do have John's approval paperwork if thats any help?
    Cheers
    Keith
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

Default 205 GTI 8V Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by keithscossie View Post
    If its any help my Turbo Technics 1.9 8V is legal and was approved in QLD when John owned it and imported it.
    Cheers
    Keith
    What ECU does it run?

You can run the 8v with standard ECU can't you?

Aren't turbo technics a UK tuning crowd?

As it happens I got the car a few days before Xmas and I've been tied up with family and a trip back to the UK so I've only driven it 40 kms since I got it.
    I've not had time to sit down and study the paperwork but I "believe" it runs the standard ECU.
    Have a look at the UK Peugeot Sport forums, there is so much info there that will help you, well worth joining.
    Turbo Technics took a new or nearly new car , fitted the Dimma kit and turbo plus several other mods, more info available if you Google !
    Cheers
    Keith

sneeky intercooler idea.205 GTI 8V Turbo Project-sneeky-intercooler.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by keithscossie View Post
    Cheers
    Keith

Has JR Sold this all ready?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I bought if off him 6 weeks ago to go with my 1.6 8v Dimma.
    It will be my daily drive once the Megane goes on wednesday.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Has JR Sold this all ready?

Sure did Mark....had a fleet clearout and sold 3 cars over Christmas....Lotus went to the Goldie, the 172 went to Bli Bli and the Dimma to Perth. These i used as a deposit on a new Lotus.
    Still working on a 205 ATM though so havent left the fold completely. ;]
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

1000+ Posts

The TT runs the standard ECU however it has been tweeked by Turbo Technics which probably makes it not standard eh ;]
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Sniff.....
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    Sniff.....
    Dont cry,its gone to a good home !

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    Sure did Mark....had a fleet clearout and sold 3 cars over Christmas....Lotus went to the Goldie, the 172 went to Bli Bli and the Dimma to Perth. These i used as a deposit on a new Lotus.
    Still working on a 205 ATM though so havent left the fold completely. ;]
    I just want to see those Bagheera's on the road !
    G'day John !

My car is approaching its final stages with Peter T fitting a Quaife LSD at the moment.

I have recently fitted Bilstein B6 front struts and 21mm torsion bar rear end with solid mounts.

Will be doing a cylinder head overhaul and sump r&r before fitting the motor to the car.
    Still haven't decided on engine management though I think I'll be lashing out on a Haltech Sprint 1000. ?.. Any one got better ideas?
    I will be using a 405T16 intercooler so the whole package will be under the bonnet. I just need to run a small heat exchanger with its own fan on the front for the liquid to air intercooler. So should be able to maintain the a/c in good working condition.

I'm expecting this to make 160-180bhp which won't overextend the driveability of the car.

There is always the option to go twin cam with a dp manifold and a garrett t3....mmmm

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds good :-)

It's actually an AP Suretrac LSD, not Quaife. The Sprint 500 will suffice, but the Sport 1000 will be much better for turbo control and other options. By the time you've bought the 500 + relays + labour to wire it up, you may well have bought a 1000 which is already terminated. The 500 is a very basic setup more suited to basic n/a track cars. I'm fairly sure it will make 200-220hp.
    Walshy likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks PT. Looking forward to more traction!!

Should have the turbo head off over easter... Not sure who it should go to for a 3angle grind and check guides etc.
    Also want to improve the cam. Ive heard a series 1 gti cam does the trick but not sure who has one in oz, or i could regrind the one i have.
    S

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

RAMS Head Service, Windsor. You need to use the cam out of your current DKZ Series 3 engine.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

So is this all done now???? Details, photos, dyno results? Would love to see more...

No not finished with the turbo conversion....
    the engine conversion's on hold at the moment as I'm studying and working full time. The car is ready to go in terms of suspension, brakes and driveline.

I want to rebuild the engine and convert the engine management to something more programmable before I switch things out... Plus the engine that's in there is a pretty fresh rebuild and it goes like the clappers..

Sent from my GT-I9100T using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information