Intermittent stalling & idle issue - 205GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Intermittent stalling & idle issue - 205GTi

Hi all.

Had my car back from the Auto elec not long ago, to fix the heater switch and bad earth in my 205.

Anyway when the car is idling & at temperature & if i were to put the fans on high, on the "outside" setting (not recirculate)...the idle will drop and seem to misfire and do all sorts of weird things. Turn the fans off and back to normal idle.

It increases idle as per normal for the A/C switch...but the same problem will also occur when i put it into reverse. WHAT THE!?

Advertisement

Today I had the car idling for a while playing around with it and now it will idle for a bit then cut out if it drops below 1900 rmp.

I called the Autoelec and he pretty much didn't wanna know about it.

"Those things are a pain in the ass to work on, don't know what they put them on the road"...was the response I got back.

Is any of this related? weird!!

Any help would be great. Excuse the novel!

Julz

Cold start injector working?

Throttle bypass working fine?

Ignition all a-OK?

This is what I would be chasing.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

idle setting screw hasn't been touched, so i don't see how the bypass would be affected. Is that what you meant?

But apart from that, vacuum hoses are connected correctly & timing seems fine. The only thing im unsure about is that O2/fuel ratio screw (or where its set) I just copied my other 205.

Thanks

Julian

Just shooting in the dark here.

When I took my induction apart I found a lot of crap in it (oily black deposits) which could have blocked anything easily.

Plastic joints at intake (under slam panel and upstream of AFM) were distorted because of overtightened clamps

rubber ducts cracked sometimes invisibly

Needless to say idle was all over the place.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

ahoy froggers.

Just got the roadworthy for my Red GTi this morning.

But on the way home I experienced this intermittent idle/stalling again!

It would seem it happens when the car is at temperature (and maybe when the fans heater fans are running)

Schlitz, I see what your talking about but it all seems fine.

Puzzle help?

Just a shot in the dark here.

Is your alternator charging? Maybe it faults intermittently and you're running on the battery every now and then and if you have some serious load on it there might be current drops that can affect either the ECU or the injectors?

Clutching at straws?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Is your alternator charging? Maybe it faults intermittently and you're running on the battery every now and then and if you have some serious load on it there might be current drops that can affect either the ECU or the injectors?

Clutching at straws?
    Yeah I suppose that could be a thing to investigate. I haven't had a problem with it, and it seems to charge just fine.

Though the voltage light does glow faintly when stalls.

I've got time now to investigate fully, swap and change some things and see what comes of it!

cheers schlitz

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Clutching at straws?
    So i got the car rego'd the other day schlitz, and have been driving it around. When im buzzing along the road and i turn the heater fans on, the battery light glows brighter the faster the fan speed is!

I'm taking it right back to the auto elec!

Not sure if I'm now clutching at straws...but, I have a feeling it might be playing games with advancing when I sink my boot into the throttle.

Little investigation tomorrow will know more...

Julian

It would seem totally unrelated to your symptoms but I'd kick myself if it was somehow related and I never mentioned it: my GTI back when they were new, used to stall all of its own accord in town, even when driving along. Lots of things were replaced by dealer until I rang Peugeot Customer Care and they said "Air flow sensor" and you know what, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvbrownale View Post
    It would seem totally unrelated to your symptoms but I'd kick myself if it was somehow related and I never mentioned it: my GTI back when they were new, used to stall all of its own accord in town, even when driving along. Lots of things were replaced by dealer until I rang Peugeot Customer Care and they said "Air flow sensor" and you know what, it was.
    You mean the air flow meter?

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    You mean the air flow meter?
    yah.

you say tamayto, I say tomahto

Yeah its spot on. I had been using that one in my other GTi which, swapped them over as i knew it was working 100% correct.

I think its a voltage drop someone. Alternator/battery issue...

Thanks all the same!

Julian

Thread Information