Anyone on here have much to do with the 205 CTi?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anyone on here have much to do with the 205 CTi?

Once I have finished the current project, I would be keen to get myself into a roofless 205. Its certainly not in the near ( 12months ) future but down the track.

So does anyone on here drive one regularly and whats it like to live with? Do the roofs leak? Are they still fun to drive?

Advertisement

Whats peoples thoughts on this. I know they are not going to be a GTi and the suspension etc is different. Would you own one? Drive one?

Ive always like the look of them and am now turning to slower beachside transport instead of the frantic GTi buzz when getting my morning swim in...

Just wondering...

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I'd drive one if I was a gay hairdresser .....lol

Yea. Im not to worried about what other people think to be honest. Its none of my business if they think the way they do. Free world.

Just went down the shops and saw one driving through town! Was a bit tatty though

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I'd drive one if I was a gay hairdresser .....lol
    Isn't that what the guys who drive v8's think of all 205's?
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

They drive tighter than a gti imho

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Isn't that what the guys who drive v8's think of all 205's?
    No, not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    They drive tighter than a gti imho
    Aren't they meant to have "beefier" sills - although i'd imagine that most of the ones here in Australia would be automatic Japanese imports?

Would a 306 Cabriolet with a J4RS be a more "modern" proposition?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

And nicer on the eye in my opinion although with 2 x 306s in the familly I'm biased.

The problem I have with the CTI is that it alters the look of the 205. To my eye the " C " pillar is the most pleasing design feature of the 205 model and it loses this with the convertible roof of the CTI.

they sure do habe beefire sills!!

My old cti felt tighter and more posed than of my gti's although the cti had only done around 47k at the time and was practically like new!!

1000+ Posts

Hi-Drove a red one many years ago down Nepean Highway with my youngest son & a guy I know who at the time owned a Mondial,a Dino, a 928S among other cars.
    Ray the owner of the above cars sat in the back seat as we cruised along the Highway chatting quietly.
    Ray commented on how quiet the car was & how nice it rode -especially as the roof was down & very little wind disturbance.
    Ray was amazed when I made him aware that the speedo was in M.P.H. not klicks.
    Needless to say that we were moving quiet quickly.
    Ray ended up buying a 205 G.T.I..Biggest disapointment was the seat material that was not up to Peugeots usual standard.
    Apparently there is one for sale on Carpoint.

Pekay.

Cheers fellas,

Gezza, it probably felt tighter as the suspension is not GTi. It has the same setup I believe as the Si or the XS/Rally in the uk. They feel and act like then have more turn in etc and therefore feel tighter. To be honest I always said that I would replace the suspension for GTi spec stuff but I think I would leave it to be honest as they seem so sweet..

Cam

And can we all get over the gay/man jokes etc. Pretty boring and unintelligent...
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

That whole km/h and m/h gag hit it's zenith for me in an old Leyland P76. The first couple in the family were in km/h, then the last one was in miles. Eldest sister hit the city limits and the first few corners and wondered why '60' felt so fast. That little 4.4l ally V8 wasn't all that staggering, but on underrated car for sure.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

1000+ Posts

I used to drive a pristine graphite grey one with BBS alloys and it drove really nice. It had the manual down top unlike the later versions. Very sweet little car and was 90% of a GTi.
    Mine was a manual BE3 from memory.
    Some parts are hardish to get and the tops can be expensive to replace....also the boot is unique to this model.
    A Doctor ended buying it from me for his wife. It looked alot more expensive than it actually was.

To get a good one you can always ask a Jap import place to bring one in for you as there still quite a few over there [mostly autos tho ]
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

as for the suspension arms: it has the same as the base models. So no triangles. But that can be changed easily by placing a gti subframe with the according suspension arms.
    Biggest problem is that of the shrinking door rubbers, especially those that fill the gap between door and window. They shrink so hard that they brake. If you want to replace them they might cost you as much as the car is worth.
    Roofs can crack if not used correctly. So no opening of the roof when it is cold. Always help the plastic window to fold correctly. If possible buy a manual roof. Electric roofs are costly to repair when they brake down. Look also for rust spots under the roof. The metal frame can rust and that can be verified by looking at the bottom of the roof. If there are places where the roof seems to be thicker, leave the car. Replacing the frame is costly since no pieces can be bought new any more and everything needs to be made by hand.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

1000+ Posts

Also remember cruising down the Eastern Freeway [early-mid '80's] at the wheel of my brothers 504 turbo that he had spent 'longo timo' doing a total re-build.
    Distinctly recall why when we were only casually driving down the Freeway how come all the other cars appeared to have their handbrakes on.
    Two weeks later when driving the family 504 auto -'77 with metric speedo of course - the penny dropped..
    Mal's car was imperial.
    Not stating the digit order -leave that to one's imagination.
    Speaking of 'vive la Diffrance'-Speaking to 'some-one' the other day-asked how his 308 Diesel Touring wagon was going.
    Said person said that the family had recently gone for a break-In catching up -driving casually -to a G.T. Falcon -hubby says to the 'navigator'-I think I might be able to pass this guy.Passed the G.T. with little effort-'I was only [email protected] about 2500 rpm-could have floored it'.'Mr. Ford was having all sorts of trouble trying to catch me'.
    Here endeth the lesson.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Speaking of 'vive la Diffrance'-Speaking to 'some-one' the other day-asked how his 308 Diesel Touring wagon was going.
    Said person said that the family had recently gone for a break-In catching up -driving casually -to a G.T. Falcon -hubby says to the 'navigator'-I think I might be able to pass this guy.Passed the G.T. with little effort-'I was only [email protected] about 2500 rpm-could have floored it'.'Mr. Ford was having all sorts of trouble trying to catch me'.
    Here endeth the lesson.

Pekay.
    I like a good story as much as anybody but......are you seriously trying to tell us that a Ford Falcon GT couldn't catch a 308 diesel touring wagon ? Hmmm...

The only lesson here is perhaps that the driver of the GT was not aware he was supposed to " catch up "....

1000+ Posts

Could be but one day I might-if you behave yourself & are a good boy I will share a true story about a 504 Auto being significantly quicker-first time out -as opposed to 2 years of effort in G.T. Falcon -in the hands of not one but 2 very experienced rally drivers who happened to be brothers-in fact still are.
    But just to let you know that it was obvious to the guy in the Pug that the Falcon driver was not giving u plightly-was not a straight highway which would of course assisted the Falcon considerably.
    Obviously i was not on hand in the first instance but was certainly in the front left in the 504.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Could be but one day I might-if you behave yourself & are a good boy I will share a true story about a 504 Auto being significantly quicker-first time out -as opposed to 2 years of effort in G.T. Falcon -in the hands of not one but 2 very experienced rally drivers who happened to be brothers-in fact still are.
    But just to let you know that it was obvious to the guy in the Pug that the Falcon driver was not giving u plightly-was not a straight highway which would of course assisted the Falcon considerably.
    Obviously i was not on hand in the first instance but was certainly in the front left in the 504.

Pekay.
    Get back on topic Peter we're talking about 205 CTi's

I've got a story for you. Pete, you might remember the Aussie built CTi's that City Peugeot did?

This is a story about why you never take the cheapest quote.

I arrived at City Pug just as the first brand new Aussie made CTi's arrived off the truck. They were done in QLD somewhere and the price was cheap enough to cover the cost of freighting them up there and back instead of getting them done locally.

This is a brand new car remember.
    I looked at it and noticed the lack of a 1/4 window on the front doors, you'll notice a real CTi has a 1/4 window whereas the hatch doesn't. This is because being pillerless the only way they could make a window track properly was to fit a 1/4 window for the glass to slide up and down on.

I'm standing there trying to figure out what the glass slides on when someone put the window down, then they put it up and it came straight up fell out and smashed on the floor. Now I realise what the glass was sliding on- nothing.

So, moral of the story, when buying a CTi make sure it has a 1/4 glass.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Actually Dave the little event with the 504 auto happened a little out west from where you were standing when you sent your msg.
    Ta,As the guy said previously a good story is always good.Truthis that nothing is stranger than life itselt.
    ""And there is this other bloke I know but sadly most of them are taller than the Eiffel Tower itself.

Peter.l
    Will try & drop by after the funeral to have a dekko at the exec.
    Peter.

Thread Information