The unfathomable french electriques de merde
  • Register
  • Help

Default The unfathomable french electriques de merde

Okay, this is the last 205 GTI saga still under development.

I had some trouble lately with the cooling with our hot weather and the never ending road repairs/upgrades everywhere in the loneliness capital of the world.

I suspected the thermostat but after replacing it and checking the old one it turned out it wasn't the problem.

I moved on then to the fan swiutch. Now here's the weird stuff.

The switch works (at least some times), the fans (and associated relays) work (at least some times).

Advertisement

Why I ask you? Why the intermittent problem I wonder.

I jumped the switch connector and I had the most unreal experience. Shorting the contacts in pairs of two I get all sorts of results with the only consistent result that on shorting the positive feed and the middle I turn both fans on at high speed. Other combinations of shortings turn both fans or just one at high or low speed randomly. I even pulled the high amp relays and replaced them with spares I have on hand and the result is the same.

Now to put some order to things, here's the question.

I have three relays. One with five contacts and two (identical) with four contacts each. What is each of these controlling?

And where does the A/C switch come in? Mine doesn't work, but all the wiring is there. Pushing the A/C button doesn't produce any effect (the button lights up though). What should it do (I remember someone saying it should turn both fans on high speed)?

Just for the record, all the fuses are fine.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 11th April 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Three relays, control two fans. Low speed, the fans are connected in series. High speed, the fans are connected in parallel. Thus both fans are on together, always. When A/C is on, the fans should be on low speed, then if temperature rises, fans will change to high speed.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

This is how the three relays connect in a Motronic vehicle. ie 405 or S3 GTi, or Si. It's very similar in yours except polarity is reversed. ie your radiator switch supplies +12V to switch the relays, but in this diagram, the relays are earthed to turn on.

It will do your head in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The unfathomable french electriques de merde-motronic-fan-relays.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I take it wires 58, 58A+B go to the temperature switch?

Now the question is where does the control from the A/C switch tie in? Manuals don't have a wiring diagram for A/C.

Given the random performance of my car, I suppose there's more than just one dodgy component, so I'll need some testing.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information