Draining fuel filter, 308
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lake Macquarie
    Posts
    46

    Default Draining fuel filter, 308

    Bought a 308 with the 2 litre diesel for one of my kids. Did an oil and filter change the other day and noticed on a website that draining the fuel filter was advised. Dumb question ...where is it on the engine and how do you do it? Car has done 56k should I change the fuel filter?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand !
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Hi, I have a 308 2.0 HDi too. Just had my last in warranty service done a few weeks ago and specifically asked them to check the fuel filter and drain it. In the discussion with the mechanic he mentioned that there is a bleed value or screw underneath it. That said I'm of the understanding that the fuel filter isn't easy to get to.

    Was doing the oil filter and oil change easy ?

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! 908HDI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Not all the fuel filter verisons have a drain plug.

    If you have the drain screw at the bottom I would drain the filter every 20,000km as the fuel filter replacement is scheduled every 40,000km.

    If you are unlucky enough to get some debris into the filter over time from bad servo tanks draining it will not help. A new filter will.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand !
    Posts
    175

    Icon5 How does one remove the 308 2.0 HDi engine 'style cover' plastic enclosure ?

    All How does one remove the style cover [plastic enclosure] on top the 308 2.0 HDi engine to access the fuel filter, priming bladder, degas screw etc

    With a quick look I couldn't see anything to unlock it, I felt around the sides underneath it too and again nothing was obvious

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    The engine cover justs lifts up and off, though it can be tricky. There are 4 balls in rubber sockets, 2 at the front and the others half way up on each side. Start at a corner and work around.

    The filter can be either in the front middle or front left, depending on which 2 litre motor you have. There is a large screw at the bottom to bleed out water (it is not wanted in the high pressure pump) - if there isn't any running into in the container you use, close it up again. Don't accidentally fill the alternator with diesel. Replacing the filter means taking the filter cover off - one version has a moulded plastic hex top, the other thankfully uses screws - look up Youtube for some "2.0 hdi filtre" videos. I've noticed that Youtube becomes more helpful for most aspects of these cars if you search in French.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand !
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The engine cover justs lifts up and off, though it can be tricky. There are 4 balls in rubber sockets, 2 at the front and the others half way up on each side. Start at a corner and work around...
    Thank you for the reply

    So basically use some 'brute force' ?

    Is what describe a procedure specifically to the 308 2.0 HDi ? [I ask as I noticed in some videos the style cover varies e.g. is different for the 1.6 HDi etc

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    Stay with videos for "2.0". The engine covers vary in shape, but the fixing method is the same - don't be surprised if sometimes you pull the whole rubber socket off, as they can be quite firm. These motors are in several PSA models, so don't look just for 308 videos.

    The latest motors use screw-on plastic filter lids; before that the plastic lid has a hex moulding and these can be stiff and need care with the spanner if they are not to be broken when being unscrewed. The fuel line unions have a press-in catch and then pull off.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand !
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Stay with videos for "2.0". The engine covers vary in shape, but the fixing method is the same - don't be surprised if sometimes you pull the whole rubber socket off, as they can be quite firm. These motors are in several PSA models, so don't look just for 308 videos.

    The latest motors use screw-on plastic filter lids; before that the plastic lid has a hex moulding and these can be stiff and need care with the spanner if they are not to be broken when being unscrewed. The fuel line unions have a press-in catch and then pull off.
    seasink thank you for the replies I did get the engine cover off [note there are 5 ball mounts]
    1. Upon removal I discovered that my 308 HDi indeed does have the hexagonal moulding on top of the filter you describe. Now I'll have to get a spanner, crescent or socket to fit...
    2. The Peugeot workshop manual DVD I got states that paraffin should be used to lubricate the [o ring] seal, [is that essentially petroleum jelly?] or can something else be used ?
    3. Can I use any 308 HDi filter that is available on ebay i.e. are they all much the same ?
    3. Should I use the bleed screw only when changing the filter element or can it also be used to check for water ?

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! gromzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    melborne
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    1. Upon removal I discovered that my 308 HDi indeed does have the hexagonal moulding on top of the filter you describe. Now I'll have to get a spanner, crescent or socket to fit...
    The seal can get vary tight, so you may have to use some force to release it.
    Its a 27mm If I remember correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    2. The Peugeot workshop manual DVD I got states that paraffin should be used to lubricate the [o ring] seal, [is that essentially petroleum jelly?] or can something else be used ?
    Any petroleum based lubricant will do.

    Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    3. Should I use the bleed screw only when changing the filter element or can it also be used to check for water ?
    It is used for both.
    You will need to open both the bottom bleeder and (if presents) the top bleeder (or remove the fuel line's) otherwise nothing will come out. (you could try opening the bottom bleeder and pumping the fuel bulb to check for water, but this might stir up the contents)

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand !
    Posts
    175

    Default

    gromzx and seasink again thank you for the replies

    Are all Fuel Filter elements the same i.e. any filter element off ebay will do or be as good as the ones the Service Centers yes ?

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! gromzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    melborne
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I'm not sure about this as sometimes they can change by year to.
    Check the compatibility or cross reference the filter number.
    Maybe someone can tell you the OE filter number for cross reference.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •