Pre-purchase inspection 207 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Pre-purchase inspection 207 GTi

Hi all!

I used to be an active member on this forum dating back to 2006...however seems like my old accounts been deactivated :-S

Anyway, i'm hoping to jump back into a Pug, so I've inspected a 2008 207 GTi with only a mere 21,000KM.

I'm aware of the oil feed pipe leak to turbo, so I checked for leaks around the turbo area and found nothing. Car drove fine and and all seemed well. However I did notice some very slight oil residue on the breather hose...I take it that's normal?

Was the common leaky oil feed pipe issue sorted out in the later models 2008+?

Advertisement

Also how is the oil consumption in these vehicles??

As going off the service book, it appears to have had ONE oil change when it reached 18,000KM....but i'm waiting to confirm this with the dealer.

Although its got low mileage, I'm worried that it hadn't received an oil change for the first few years of its life may have caused engine issues if it was running on low for sometime....

Any advice would be great as I'm hoping to finalise a deal any day now!

Thanks!

The old adage, if it don't feel right......walk with hands in pockets

Couldn't you get RACV to check it for you?

One oil change in 3-4 years is pretty poor form, but it hasn't travelled many km. If it was serviced 3000km ago, it shouldn't have used any really.

Do these need timing belts every 4 years like the 206s?

1000+ Posts

Thought oil changes on them was 20,000 k's-& probably 4 years whichever came first.Would pay to check service books for that info.Personally I would have changed sooner-especially re the time fasctor-cheap insurance.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Thought oil changes on them was 20,000 k's-& probably 4 years whichever came first.

You're not doing it right. Peugeot actually recommend a 6-monthly checkup and a service every 12 months on a lot of models including 207s. Even if the service interval for km might not be reached, they still want it to be serviced every 12 months. I was of the understanding they also liked to look at 207's after 3 months/~2500km to check them over as a 'first service' too?

Quote Originally Posted by @ndrew View Post
    Although its got low mileage, I'm worried that it hadn't received an oil change for the first few years of its life may have caused engine issues if it was running on low for sometime....
    Hi @andrew,

Welcome back to

Was it running on low for any length of time?

I'd suggest a low use GTi doesn't have too many oil consumption issues, but mine has always needed a tickle before 10k.

If it's really low, a message and warning beep is designed to annoy the vehicle operator.

Oil change interval is 20k/12mths. If the dealer used the correct oil then it will probably be fine, but most dealers are not good in this regard.

The main worry would be if it sounds like a tractor when it's cold (suggesting a hydraulic tensioner issue) or oil leaking onto the driveway.

Give it a good thrashing when test driving it. It sounds like it needs one anyway
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks for the help guys!

The oil should be changed every 12months regardless of whether you've done enough K's.

The dealer did confirm that it had only one oil change in three years and that it does tend to use a bit of oil in general. So I can only assume that it was running on low for sometime. The owner seemed very mechanically unsympathetic when questioned about that...he just didn't seem to care.

I was also lucky enough to speak to an experienced Peugeot mechanic that helped steer me in the right direction.

So I've walked away from this one. Considering there are only four advertised in Vic, it's not too hard to pick the car in question.

So as always, ask as many questions as possible, get service/warranty claim history from the dealer and never take the sellers word for gospel! ;-)

Thread Information