New brakes bed-in
  • Register
  • Help

Default New brakes bed-in

Hi everyone
    A new set of brake disc and pad installed for my 206 Gti180.
    Any advice on how to bed-in ? Or do I just drive it normally ?

Thanks

Advertisement

Thanks for the link,
    does it apply to stock disc and pad, Mine are not those fancy after market brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MiloRC View Post
    Thanks for the link,
    does it apply to stock disc and pad, Mine are not those fancy after market brand.
    I would follow the "standard road going vehicle" procedure.

For standard performance applications I can't see the bed in procedure being too between different manufacturers.

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting to note that the latest Bendix standard pads state on the box that they do not require bedding in. I must admit that they did not [do not] appear to perform any better after my doing a normal bedding in process.
    I am satisfied with them though.
    Pavel

So, is bed-in necessary ??
    My Mechanic told me not to do any hard braking, just drive it normally for at less 300KM.

Default New pads no bedding in?

Whilst I would possibly agree with this theory, if you have fitted new discs, maybe a good idea to bed in as per normal method, just to be safe.
    IMO, this is more to temper the disc metal itself.

The usual, up to 80 odd km/h then brake to say, 15 km/h and drive back to 100km/h again, re[eated half a dozen times or so is a good method. Take a good few kilometres between stops as this allows cooling of discs/pads.

I feel, the cdvance in technology is part for better brakes and likely part due to the fact, you would have trouble finding areas to do a bed in these days with more density of population.

My recommendation is, don't if avoidable bring the car to a complete stop with firm braking before you have a chance to bed the brakes in. I used to do all my bedding in late at night, when there were fewer cars on the roads, where it was more congruent to be slowing and speeding up so ofter.

This is just my methods, others may have different ideas.

MILO, yes, also avoid heavy braking until about 300km too. I always also try not to let the front pads rest against the discs until about this time, using the handbrake at lights after stopping. Not sure of the science behind my theory, just something I had always done.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

The new pads have to wear down to allow for any slight radius or imperfection on the disc surface. In other words when the new pads are on old discs the surface of the pads will not be 100% in contact with the disc surface and this can differ greatly depending on the condition of the discs.

My suggestion is to use the brakes gently so braking earlier with less effort and lower speed otherwise you could warp the discs. This means driving with much bigger gaps between you and the cars in front. Just pretend you're 90

When you feel the efficiency [ bite ] of the brakes starting to increase that is when they have bed in.

The fastest way of bedding in the new pads is to go on the motorway and gently apply the brakes [ feather ] from 100kmh and then letting them cool off prior to re-application. Due to the higher speed the cooling is much more effective.

Thread Information