Pug 306 s16 issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Pug 306 s16 issues

Hi guys,

I've been having some problems with my s16 lately
    On acceleration the car seems to hesitate, then kick on
    I'll floor the accelerator in 2nd and it just doesn't go between ~3k-4k rpm, but from then on it pulls like a train

It doesn't happen all the time though. On the drive home today it was quite bad, then when I took it out again 2-3 hours later it wasn't happening despite my best efforts

Advertisement

The car also seems to hesitate at ~1500 rpm

Also fuel consumption is shocking. I drive in peak hour traffic most days and it gets roughly 20l/100km on 98

20L/100KM is shocking indeed!!! I usually get betweeen 12 and 13L/100KM in city driving... about 7.5L - 8.0L/100KM on the highway (with the aircond going).

Strange that the hesitation is only in narrow rev ranges. I've not had that problem. I assume you have checked the vacuum pods on the inlet manifold? though pod problems are generally no oomph below 4000RPM, lots after... not hesitation in a rev range.

Do you get the same problem if you don't completely floor it? say put the accelerator 80% of the way down?

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Everything mentioned especially fuel consumption says that it is a faulty oxy sensor.

The best test is pull out plugs and see if they're black from running rich. Also should have noticed exhaust smoke from time to time.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    The best test is pull out plugs and see if they're black from running rich. Also should have noticed exhaust smoke from time to time.
    I checked them out 2 weeks ago and they seemed normal, but they're quite new - less than 1000kms old (if that matters). Will definitely check them again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Strange that the hesitation is only in narrow rev ranges. I've not had that problem. I assume you have checked the vacuum pods on the inlet manifold? though pod problems are generally no oomph below 4000RPM, lots after... not hesitation in a rev range.

Do you get the same problem if you don't completely floor it? say put the accelerator 80% of the way down?

Tony.

Assuming these are the vacuum pods. Both are moving well at idle
    From memory I still encounter the hesitation/flat spot (that's the term I was looking for!) at 80% acceleration. I'll have a more definitive answer tomorrow

Thanks for the replies

yes that the vacuum pod. It should be in the down position at idle, should pull up when you raise the revs slightly, and they stay up until around 4000 odd rpm at which point they come back down again. If you have plenty of go after 4000 then they are definitely coming back down.

When my O2 sensor went my fuel consumption definitely got worse. probably around 15L/100KM but mine missed at high revs... I guess it depends on the nature of the fault, but I'd say it's definitely a likely candidate!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information