Wheels for the 405
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Wheels??? Can Someone Help Me

OK well i've been looking around for whats available...

This is sort of something i'm looking for.. i've seen them in 1000 Miglia, and also this TSW Pace which i really like... only thing is on the site they are 5 pin... but i have seen them in 4 pin in an advert, and also the cars in the on car example on the website, all 3 are 4 pin wheels..

Example

Advertisement

I was looking for the 16 inch, which are 16x6.5 i think... good for the 195 16 45 i believe!!!
    Last edited by Mitch Mi16; 3rd December 2003 at 07:05 PM.
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

www.ozaustralia.com.au
    www.ozwheels.com.au
    For your 405? Why not 18s?

I was thinking of 17's but then after asking some of the guys on here.. i thought i'd get 16's so it doesn't potentially lose soom of the handling perfomance..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

16s weigh less, right?
    Ahh...the practice of keeping unsprung mass as low as possible to reduce rotating inertia and maximise road holding.

It would be interesting to see whether a reduction in unsprung mass or an increase in lateral load produced by wider tyres, for example 18x8s, would give the greater handling performance increase, i.e g-force rating. This can be tested on a skidpad but who would fork out the money to do that? A race team? Yes but not someone who just wants a bit of improvement for the street.

When you do decide which rims you want to fit you might want to consider fitting wider rims at the front.

Administrator

[QUOTE=Bluey]16s weigh less, right?
    Ahh...the practice of keeping unsprung mass as low as possible to reduce rotating inertia and maximise road holding.
    QUOTE]

More importantly, for the road, some sidewall compliance is needed.

I think that a 45 profile is about as low as you can go on a road car without turning it into a jitery mess over the slightest bump.

Also on a road car such as a 405mi16, that doesn't have rockhard suspension, some sidewall distortion is nescesary to allow the entire tread are to remain in contact with the ground when cornering.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The wheels may look nice, but you'll hate 'em within a week. When I shopped for the wheels for my car, 'cleanability' was on the top of my list. Those wheels will take you hours with a toothbrush to clean

The 3-6spoke design isn't popular for no reason ... That being, it's easy to clean !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

You Deffinantly have a good point there...

i'll keep looking around and see what i can find out...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

More importantly, for the road, some sidewall compliance is needed.

I think that a 45 profile is about as low as you can go on a road car without turning it into a jitery mess over the slightest bump.

Also on a road car such as a 405mi16, that doesn't have rockhard suspension, some sidewall distortion is nescesary to allow the entire tread are to remain in contact with the ground when cornering.
    I agree. Lower unsprung mass improves both road holding and ride quality.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    for example 18x8s, would give the greater handling performance increase
    You will never get an 8 inch rim under there. Ask Andreas. I have 205/45/16's on 16x7's on mine. Perfect. I would not be going any wider than that.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

I think these profile are 16x6.5.

just to find them in a 4 stud pattern
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

You want these wheels

At least, I do. Anyone have any idea what kind they are?

Mitch

Found these on www.ozaustralia.com.au
    Pretty pricey though, $560 a wheel. Looks nice on the 406
    avaliable for the 405 in 16 inch only

Auto paris is supposed to have a range of wheels but they never got back to me re price

Anyway good luck

Ky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheels for the 405-406-superturismo-race-silver-18.jpg   Wheels for the 405-detailimage10033.jpg  

love those superT's.

think my mate paid 2K for 16's with tyres for his 205 (same fitment).

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    The wheels may look nice, but you'll hate 'em within a week. When I shopped for the wheels for my car, 'cleanability' was on the top of my list. Those wheels will take you hours with a toothbrush to clean

The 3-6spoke design isn't popular for no reason ... That being, it's easy to clean !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Depends on the coating of the wheel. If it has a good quality clear coat, they'll be easy to clean. Wax them after every wash and you'll be right.

I had speedy made rims on the Golf GTI and they were awful. The clear coat was rubbish, brake dust easily baked on. So just make sure you can see an exmaple of the TRW first. I personally think they are nice looking rims.

Guys I'm driving a RWD 325i coupe at the moment. Current model thing, gorgeous car with 18" wheels which really make it look stunning.
    If it was my car I would chuck the stupid 18's in the bin. It's hard to believe people pay 5 6 or $7000 for such wheels. With the ultra low profile tyres: 35's or 40's or something shitful like that it drives like a pig. It would be good on the track, but it tramlines something horrible on the road. Don't go below 45 profile! Most cars start to ride horribly below this sort of profile, although the BM is ok, it's the tramlining and other shenanigans(like torque steer in a FWD) that make this size of wheels, a huge wank.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I agree with you completely there. I had TSW Imola wheels, which are a similar multi spoke rim like the TSW Pace, on my Xsara VTR. They looked great, BUT they were a complete pain to clean. To clean it properly, you had to clean all the spokes, and all the gaps between the spokes. UGH! The stock alloys on the VTS may not be as swish looking, but I prefer them more because they are much easier to clean.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser
    Mitch

Found these on www.ozaustralia.com.au
    Pretty pricey though, $560 a wheel. Looks nice on the 406
    avaliable for the 405 in 16 inch only

Auto paris is supposed to have a range of wheels but they never got back to me re price

Anyway good luck

Ky

I have seen the Super T's... Very Nice, but a little above what i was thinking of paying for wheels though... will continue to look around...

I've also found a pair of Matrix Wheels i like, less spokes and also 4 pin...

ELKY
    since i am looking around for wheels, i think i may have seen something like that... i'll have a look around and let you know... (Just Found Elky - Look At the link below The APEX wheel)

Is This what you were looking for elky

Also just found this on the Worldwide TSW site..

PACE Wheel.. is the offset too much???

http://tswnet.com/new/productline_passenger.php
    Last edited by Mitch Mi16; 5th December 2003 at 02:01 PM.
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Nice wheels Mitch

Are they avaliable in Aust??

Ky

I beleive TSW can be source in australia. i found a shop in Mildura which stocks them.. I sent an email to see if they can getthem, but ahven't seen a response as yet..

As for the Matrix Wheels, i haven't been able to find an australian stockist, i was thinking of importing the from the UK..
    Which Wheels were you Interested in.. If They are the Matrix, i'll let you nkow who i get along...
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Mitch

They both look pretty good, i guess it would come down to which one was cheaper
    If they were about the same I'd probably go for the Matrix, despite what every one else says about cleaning.
    Ky

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser
    Mitch

They both look pretty good, i guess it would come down to which one was cheaper
    If they were about the same I'd probably go for the Matrix, despite what every one else says about cleaning.
    Ky
    Ky,

The Matrix Torque is actually the 6 spoke rim, while the TSW Pace is the other.. I have seen the Matrix for 100 GBP(not sure of how to do pound symbol).

The TSW Pace i have an advert for a package of 4 tyres (yoko's) at 549.96 GBP on sale from 689.96. These are 16's and the tyre is the 195/45-16. Another place is 519 GBP.

All these prices are taken from adverts in Max Power Magazine
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

auscar wheels used to be the disctributor of tsw in OZ, and they were solld through bob jane.
    when i bought my wheels nearly 6 years ago for the 405 i wanted tsw imolas but was told to piss off and stop wasting their time.
    they tried telling me 17's wouldn't fit on the mi16, only on SRi's and other lower spec models, i argued with them and left with money to spend elsewhere.....beaurepaires were more than happy to help and sourced me other wheels without any problems.

dont worry about cleaning the wheels...just dont clean them at all
    seriously theough, they were a bitch to clean.

Andreas, i noticed with the TSW's that they have a high offset.. I've seen the Pugs have an offset of 15, is that positive or negative.. I don't really wanna stuff around with that, as i have been told that it can cause problems..

I guess i'll keep looking around, but i think at the moment i will deffinantly go fo one of these 2 wheels if all things fall into place..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

you'll need an offset of +15-20mm.
    If TSW dont make them in that offset they're probably +38mm mondeo offset wheels....they'll stick a 20mm spacer between them....not the best option unless it's a proper spacer that sits inside the centre section of the wheel.

On The TWS world website. It says the offsets in +35 to +45.. So is around that figure you mentioned. I'll chase up who might stock them in sydney and see what i can find out.. Will most places make the spacers for the axels.. just think so more commercial places might not..

Cheers..
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information