my 206 gti `02
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: my 206 gti `02

Default my 206 gti `02

Hi all,

just showing you my gti, its done 167 000 kms lol and running quite well.

things ive done:

1. DIY grille (http://206gti.net/diy-meshgrill/)
    2. DIY air intake (http://206gti.net/intakemod/)
    3. Amplifier and Sub.
    4. MP3 connection (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peugeot-4...item5d32c801d7)
    5. peugeot sport aluminium badges, stuck a small wrc model of the car above the dash.

plan to grab a better exhaust soon.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my 206 gti `02-250482_10150619051745088_683305087_19118955_3777189_n%5B1%5D.jpg  

Tadpole

Icon2 my 206 gti `02

Hi' like yourself I own a 2002 Peugeot GTI, 2.0 16v, these are great cars, mine was left to rot in long grass in Melbourne, it had a stuffed gearbox, didn't take long to fix and get back on road, has 124,000 on the clock, has the glass sliding factory sunroof, I love the beast, whilst many parts are cheap there are some expensive bits, would be keen to hear more about your car, please send email to [email protected]

I have a few tips I can share with you & others whom treasure these great little GTI's. I feel a bit sorry for the Poms, they have GTI's with 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 ltr engines so I am told. Too many of these cars has been wrecked when they could have been repaired, even UK has woken up to that and are now counting how many remain on the roads.

When I drive my GTI, I constantly get comments, it's styling is great and in time these cars will be sought after. There is just a few little hic-cups remaining that's caused some owners to part with them. Dealers have recommended replacement of often expensive parts at times which sometimes were not the required, bit like my grandmother whom put off life threatening operations then remained healhty & lived till 97.

You will have plenty of fun & good times in your car, they are sensationable machines, worthy of preserving, they are gaining global interest right now, regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post
    plan to grab a better exhaust soon.
    What are you thinking of doing to it?

What I love about these hatchs is its power to weight ratio, its almost a rollacoster beyond 3500 rpm .

I hear that remus make some insane exhausts, ive been looking at cat-backs and duals but im concerned about affecting back pressure.

I would like to check the o2 sensor at the cat, i cant find the other one >_<, im considering going to the wreckers to find a similar exhaust for a cheaper alternative.

the only headache with this car is during winter, its a sucker for catalytic converter faults/anit pollution. I used to idle it around 2000 rpm for about 2mins before heading off, it worked most times. However, i read somewhere shoving a kitchen roll (tissue?) up the exhaust stops moisture getting up in the exhust as it cools, lol i might try it.

If you're worried about backpressure don't shove things in your exhaust

You get what you pay for with exhaust systems and at least with Remus they have actually tested them in a lab to make sure they sound good and aren't drony etc. And because they're bolt-on you can fit it yourself.

I had one on a 206 180 and it sounded great and probably made an extra kw. It revved up smoother and didn't have the 'choppy' sound at 90-100km/h that the stock one had.

If you go get a 'off the shelf' muffler from an exhaust place welded up it'll be cheaper, but it could sound like every other hyundai/lancer/4 cylinder with a sport exhaust.

I couldn't recommend the dual - extra weight (which you want to keep down) and a single ~60mm will flow enough for a 2.0L

Do Janspeed do exhausts for the 'normal' GTi? They're meant to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDSeagal View Post
    ..I had one on a 206 180 and it sounded great and probably made an extra kw. It revved up smoother and didn't have the 'choppy' sound at 90-100km/h that the stock one had.

...Do Janspeed do exhausts for the 'normal' GTi? They're meant to be good.
    Nothing makes me laugh more than hearing those farty exhausts, so steering clear of them i shall. To my knowledge (very limited) i dont think janspeed has a specific exhaust for a 206 gti, but you might be able to fit one yourself.

theres prestige auto in parramatta, ill talk to them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post
    However, i read somewhere shoving a kitchen roll (tissue?) up the exhaust stops moisture getting up in the exhust as it cools, lol i might try it.
    Could you make sure you video each time you do this for the amusement of forum members.....lol

I think janspeed does exhausts for the gti. I didn't know they sold them in oz though. They are meant to be a bit noisy. I thought the scorpion exhaust may be a good option.

Rather than a Scorpion (which at least for the GTi180 were very expensive) I'd probably also suggest looking into a Ragazzon brand rear muffler. Like the Remus they are EEC approved or whatever. I think there is a mob called Euro Exhausts that can get them (if they're still around).

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDSeagal View Post
    Rather than a Scorpion (which at least for the GTi180 were very expensive) I'd probably also suggest looking into a Ragazzon brand rear muffler. Like the Remus they are EEC approved or whatever. I think there is a mob called Euro Exhausts that can get them (if they're still around).
    Seems like a good option, i am low on funds currently so a cheaper alternative would be reasonable. being an 02 model id probably want a new cat as well - still thinking about that though. I dont know how to tell if the cat is dying or not.

http://www.euroexhausts.com.au/page4...=allCategories

looks like theyre still kicking

To be honest , I havent even priced a Scorpion exhaust yet. I feel it would be huge, especially as I would have to get it shipped over here. Will definitely look up Ragazzon though, havent heard of them before.

Update, Whoa, the Ragazzon exhausts are certainly not cheap either. Looks like importing a scorpion is back as an option.

Any stainless bolt-on exhaust made in Europe is going to be expensive. I paid $1000 for my remus rear muffler (it wasn't even a cat-back!) back in 2006.

As mentioned earlier though, you get what you pay for and if you want to play, you've got to pay.

You can get a fully sick custom job done with redback/lukey/<insert brand> mufflers in mild steel at your local exhaust shop if you want to spend $500 or less. Or you can spend $150 on a 3-inch cannon rear muffler from Autobarn?

Mild steel is gooood ill be sending it in to a local workshop soon. hopefully something around $500 is available. ill let you know how it goes.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with mild steel, but I prefer stainless. You just gotta get what suits your budget and your goals.

If you put a chrome tip on it nobody will really know (or care) who made it. As long as it isn't OTT.

Fellow Frogger!

nice to see a P plater on AF. ( im an L plater )

on the exhaust note, do alot of research. when we got the first 205 it had a very shifty origional exhaust, so we did what any performance enthusiast would do. we went and asked for a SPORT exhaust and the guy said sure thing. bad mistake..... we came to collect it after about 3 days to see a unbeleivably loud JAP CRAP cannon exhaust attached to an 80s icon. so if you decide to go with a custom exhaust specify what you want. now i have a GTI of my own and have knowlage of what not to do.

and on the off the shelf range, ive seen these group N systems. they are pretty cheap and sound good, but im not sure about how loud they actully are. remus, sebring and devil exhausts are all very expencive but thats what we get when we pick european.

cheers and good luck

Group N will be loud.

You can probably only get a Devil exhaust 2nd hand now. I actually ordered a 206 RC centre section ($500, to go with the Remus rear muffler I already had) back in about 2006/7 and paid for it through an Australian dealer, then got refunded and told they don't do car exhausts anymore

Unless they've revived their car exhaust business?

EDIT: Sorry for replying so often, it is just that I have heard a few 'local exhaust shop' efforts on 206s and haven't been impressed, and I did a fair bit of research into aftermarket exhausts for my 206 when I had it, so I'm a bit biased to the brand-name parts because (a) they fit good (b) they are good quality (c) they are 'EDM yo' and (d) the remus one I had sounded really good, without being loud or annoying in any way /rant.
    Last edited by AlanDSeagal; 11th April 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: cool story bro!

Quote Originally Posted by 205lover<3 View Post
    nice to see a P plater on AF. ( im an L plater )

Yeah I was a P plater 1 year ago lol. Its good your posting frequently, I guess, because that means more feedback and info for me

Ill have to ask the shop what they got, go home, research and come back with an answer.

thanks for all the replies!

See attached,

vinyl decal set is about $150, worth it or just plain crazy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my 206 gti `02-decal.jpg  

Thread Information