504 voltage regulator
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 voltage regulator

A quick question about the electrical system of my 1974 504 GL. The lights (headlights and every interior light) flicker considerably at night in a wow-wow sort of fashion at speed or when parked. The battery charge indicator also seems to hover near the high (charging) end of the normal range. Alternator readings check out as I recall although this was a while ago. The battery is new, does charge, and all connections are firm. Someone told me I need a new voltage reguator which he identified as the greeninsh box on the passenger side firewall. I belive this unit is a 12V Ducellier but I've had a bear of a time finding it at a reasonable price (<$100 US). The question is, can i replace this unit with something a bit more common/generic or is this volage regulator unique to my vehicle? Thanks

russ

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rpieper View Post
    A quick question about the electrical system of my 1974 504 GL. The lights (headlights and every interior light) flicker considerably at night in a wow-wow sort of fashion at speed or when parked. The battery charge indicator also seems to hover near the high (charging) end of the normal range. Alternator readings check out as I recall although this was a while ago. The battery is new, does charge, and all connections are firm. Someone told me I need a new voltage reguator which he identified as the greeninsh box on the passenger side firewall. I belive this unit is a 12V Ducellier but I've had a bear of a time finding it at a reasonable price (<$100 US). The question is, can i replace this unit with something a bit more common/generic or is this volage regulator unique to my vehicle? Thanks

russ
    Yes, any external regulator will do.
    Graham

Just a word about the battery condition indicator:
    Not sure about U.S. models, but in the 504s that came out here, the battery condition meter always read on the low side. When the system was tested with a multimeter, it would always read the correct voltage.
    So where the needle sat was "normal", and people would look out for any deflection up or down from that.
    Once you get your system fixed, you may like to do the same.

Fellow Frogger!

Or.... go to a wreckers and pick up a modern alternator with much greater output and a built in regulator. Take the old alternator along to find one with similar mountings. Reminder to self..... you have to do this!

Hi Russ,

A GM "two wire" alternator is an easy bolt in upgrade to 80A that your car will love. Belt angle is very slight with no increased wear or anything. (I asked for an 85 chev truck, 305 V8 and it was right)

I bought the two wire connector end at the same time so it just plugs into the alternator. Wiring it up, one of the two wires gets +12V constant and goes to the B+ post - the other you connect to the small wire that went to you existing alternator.

Only other wire should be a thick one from B+ to Starter - just like the old alternator.

BTW: How was the carb and electronic ignition upgrade?

Rabin

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again to everyone, these are all great suggestions. I like the idea of upgrading the alternator and the GM solution should be easy and cheap.

Rabin, I'm sad to say that my job and my Peugeot interests are interfering with each other - I now have a new Weber car, a new electronic ignition, and now (soon) an upgraded alternator to install and no time to do it. I think it must be a comon problem among 504 owners, we've got lots of big ideas . But soon, no later than this summer for sure

Fellow Frogger!

sorry, forgot to ask, I assume if I go to the 2 wire internally regulated alternator that i can just leave the current external voltage regulator in place, no rewiring necessary, right?

I've got a memory of someone having a glitch of some sort if they DIDN'T do that. Light coming on or something like that. It has to do with feedback and the need for an inline diode, I think. Sorry to be vague.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I've got a memory of someone having a glitch of some sort if they DIDN'T do that. Light coming on or something like that. It has to do with feedback and the need for an inline diode, I think. Sorry to be vague.
    If you wire directly the alternator will feed back into the electrical system and you won't be able to turn the engine off. You could use an inline diode or the original regulator inline should do the job.
    Graham

Thread Information