205 GTi full pump
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi full pump

How reliable are fuel pumps after they've been sitting for a while?

If the engines been going, then all of a sudden it wont turn over....fuel pump problem?

I dont think i can hear the wining sound anymore...but i can smell fuel down the exhaust.

Advertisement

What will it cost me?

Cheers

G'day.
    When you say 'won't turn over' I assume it's still kicking over but just won't start? I had a similar problem on mine although not from it being sitting for a while. It would start sometimes and not others. I checked for spark etc and all good there. Next I thought fuel pump. Good thing is, it lies under the rear seat and is easy to remove. Just have plenty of rags handy in case of spillage. I couldn't hear it running also but now that i have a new one installed I still can't hear it! They are easy to test once out of the car so you should be able to tell if this is the problem. Mine would only work intermittently and once replaced no more issues. I chose a genuine Bosch unit instead of an after market. From memory around $300. Can get exact figure from receipts if needed. just have to find it. Can't understand why you'd be smelling fuel from the exhaust though.

Quote Originally Posted by acboxer View Post
    Can't understand why you'd be smelling fuel from the exhaust though.
    I thought it would be a good indication of whether it was pumping or even sucking fuel in. Anyway, thanks, it sounds almost like an identical problem.
    I was idling the the day but choking/hiccuping on itself every so often.

Ill check it out.

cheers

Wouldn't hurt to check the injectors either. Again a pretty simple job to remove the fuel rail etc to get to them if you are adept at such things. Not too expensive to get them professionally cleaned and spray pattern checked. Worth doing.
    Being a 205 owner I'm sure you know that the coughing and spluttering could be the result of any number of things. Funny thing is mine also did this and after persuing a long list of elimination (and many $) it was the air mass meter. Still love her though lol

Oh yeah had a few 205's, this one was a project car. So after re-buliding/everything 'everything'...this is the last niggly little thing. ehhh!!!

no good if it doesnt go.

cheers

It's always that one damn thing that stumps you. Truth be told, mine doesn't run absolutely perfectly either. Runs superb, but not perfect. I can't work out why my engine light keeps coming on periodically. O2 sensor is working fine, crank sensor ok etc etc but it keeps happening with no loss in performance at all. All error codes cleared and reset. Oh well. The joys of pug life. I wouldn't have it any other way

You're right...and its the devil we know.

Thread Information