Camshaft oil sealing in 205 GTI DFZ engines
  • Register
  • Help

Default Camshaft oil sealing in 205 GTI DFZ engines

I found there is an oil leak to the dizzy and pulled it out to see if I can remedy something. Apparently there is no oil seal there apart from the outer o-ring on the dizzy base. The camshaft itself doesn't have an oil seal keeping the oil in the engine. The dizzy itself only has some shims inside (I pulled it apart) which don't seal (I am not sure what their role is otherwise, perhaps just take axial loads if any).

Really annoying oil leak ends up coming out through at dizzy cap.

Advertisement

Is there anything eluding me?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

If its not leaking in to the distributor body it could be either the dizzy O ring seal or it could be the camshaft end cap. The oil from here leaks and runs along dizzy body to dizzy cap and drips down on to gearbox.

Nah, it's leaking through the dizzy, I was actually thinking of removing the O-ring to let it leak on the outside but I guess it would create a bigger mess.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

There is a labyrinth seal on the dizzy shaft. If leaking oil, your shaft/dizzy body is worn. Nothing you can do other than fit new dizzy or re-engineer sealing system.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information