Amplifier help (12v signal cable)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Amplifier help (12v signal cable)

Hello froggers,

I've been prowling this and other overseas forums for info. regarding the signal cable for an amplifier(i dont know where to connect it to). I was about to connect it to the back of the stock stereo head unit but then i realized that it is always on?! even with no keys in ignition *confusion*.

any help on this matter, greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

for your info: 206 gti 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post
    Hello froggers,

I've been prowling this and other overseas forums for info. regarding the signal cable for an amplifier(i dont know where to connect it to). I was about to connect it to the back of the stock stereo head unit but then i realized that it is always on?! even with no keys in ignition *confusion*.

any help on this matter, greatly appreciated.

for your info: 206 gti 2002.
    Welcome to AF

You need to explain a lot more....

I don't have a clue what you are asking about. Signal cable as in Audio signal or power cable as in 12v DC supply ?

Maybe give some details of what you are trying to connect to what?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

blue wire that is normally the auto aerial wire from memory is what you connect the amp signal wire to
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Sorry, yes i am trying to locate a 12v power supply to connect to my amp.

blue ant. wire sounds good

Sorry, yes i am trying to locate a 12v power supply to connect to my amp.

blue ant. wire sounds good
    Depending on the power output of the amp you should run a fused power feed directly from the battery. Use a relay to switch the battery feed with the coil powered from the acc position on the ignition. Acc +ve should be available from the existing radio.

Get a test lamp and go searching or look up the 206 ICE connectors pin outs on the web.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    blue wire that is normally the auto aerial wire from memory is what you connect the amp signal wire to
    Could it be that when you turn the radio function off it would turn off the circuit - as in aerial descends.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Some good ideas here.

For an amplifer of any real power, it's smart to run a 12v direct feed from the battery. They tend to pull a fairly significant current, and can overwhelm the slim wire for a head unit or similar.

For turning the amp on and off, you don't usually require a relay. Most amps have a remote power +ve input, which you would run from the headunit. This will detect when the headunit it on, and power up the amp second. It helps to avoid pop's too, headunit comes on first, followed by the amp.

The handbook lists the plug format at the back of the headunit.

Wow! heaps of help here thanks!

O.k I have connected the 12v signal power cable to the ant. cable of the stereo head (thin blue one) there is another blue cable but it is larger so i disregarded that. all is working well, however the light on the amp is on when the car is off (no key in ignition) which means the radio can turn on and off when car is off as well. weird?

does this mean the amp is draining the battery?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuse?

I do not know your car or have any reference data for it.
    However, on several of the Pugs I have owned ther is a fuse in the engine bay that can be switched between the battery side (always On) and the Ignition side. Have a look at the owners manual, but you will probably spot it because it has a line of three slots-one will be unused.

D

thanks for that, i ended up stripping a wire which i believe to be the cigar. lighter (thick white one) its live when power is on so it will work well.

UFO

Wow! heaps of help here thanks!

O.k I have connected the 12v signal power cable to the ant. cable of the stereo head (thin blue one) there is another blue cable but it is larger so i disregarded that. all is working well, however the light on the amp is on when the car is off (no key in ignition) which means the radio can turn on and off when car is off as well. weird?

does this mean the amp is draining the battery?
    You want to avoid that as you will drain the battery - based on my experience.

There should be a slim wire that provides constant feed to the head unit to maintain memory. Another larger wire provides switched feed to the head unit for operation and therefore the head unit only comes on when the ignition is switched on.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

You need to find the remote wire on the headdeck, usually blue. Might be thicker than the others. Use a multi meter to search for it, should have a 12v signal when the headdeck is turned on, and none when it is turned off.

The signal you have used will work, but it means is you turn your stereo off then the amp will still be on.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

I have a feeling you have connected your remote wire from your amp to the wrong wire at the headunit...?
    You should be connecting to the remote wire not the antenna?
    Also check on your amp to see if there is a setting for it as well. I had a similar problem where it turned on when it received power from the battery, and because it was always connected to the battery, it didn't turn off...
    There was a switch on the amp that had different options, can't exactly remember what, but one was for a constant feed and the other was the 12 volts accessory where it turns on with the headunit..
    I hope this helps!
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

You should as suggested earlier run a power supply directly from the battery. This has an inline fuse and can be used to run amps for speakers and subs etc. Much stabler and will stop a lot of issues further down the track. Im running amps in my 306 for the speakers and the subs. My amps are hidden in the rear beneath where the roof is stored. Im runnning Apline amps and speakers with under seat Fusion amp and subwoofer units.
    Here is what you should use http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...88&form=CAT2#4
    There are other brands available but this is more than acceptable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amplifier help (12v signal cable)-eric-installing.jpg  

Is it unusual that I can turn my stereo on and off without any keys in ignition (doors locked as well)?

Its not unusual, but its not how the factory do it.

I have wired the beast like that before so I can have the stereo on without needing a key turned to accessory.

Jo

Thread Information