205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets

Pulling apart one of the DFZ heads I have, I found that the lobes on the cam are different. Some are pointy, some are round (no signs of obvious re-grind or wear). There is no rule, as in say exhaust-pointy/intake-round or the other way around. I will post some pictures.

Two of the buckets show a different wear pattern too to the others, see pictures. Both these buckets are on pointy lobes.

Advertisement

What is going on here? Why the different lobe profiles?

What could have caused the different wear marks?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

And here's some pictures.

1. buckets showing different wear patterns. Left looks sus, came off a pointy cam lobe.

2 and 3. Round cam lobe.

4 and 5. pointy cam lobe, note the chamfered side missing at the tip of the lobe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets-buckets.jpg   205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets-round-lobe.jpg   205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets-round-lobe-2.jpg   205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets-pointy-lobe.jpg   205 GTI DFZ cam lobes and buckets-pointy-lobe-2.jpg  

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Shlitz,
    The pointy [worn] cam lobe has lost its design feature of rotating the follower [left].
    But you knew that eh?

Thank you W'beest, it certainly looks that way, so you think that is wear that made the lobes pointy? Because it looks like very even, square and nice wear.

You see, this is what I don't understand, were those pointy lobes like that from factory or not? It seems weird for Peugeot to grind a cam like that, but the cam doesn't look like it was reground or modified in any way (by some urchin) so I am a little confused here (quite a bit actually). And if that is wear as you say, then that is the most professional looking wear I have ever seen.

And then there is the question of why did the pointy lobe not spin the follower (in the event that it is the correct factory grind).

But that is unlikely. These lobes have definitely different profiles, and that is just not right.

Anyway, looks like I need a regrind or new cam.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd April 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Schlitz,
    My mistake. I meant the worn cam lobe picture No 5.
    A cam in good condition will not show wear completely across the peak.

So this is wear? It's interesting if it is because it looks like instead of flattening the lobe has actually sharpened. Not impossible considering the strain on the lobe apparently is maximum around those areas that appear worn out on my lobes.

Your cam (and matching buckets) is worn beyond repair.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hmm, I take it that's not good news.

Is that the pointy lobes and the corresponding buckets or the other ones you are referring to, Peter?

Pointy ones. They should be fully radiused.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Any chance of a new cam and buckets from Peugeot (or any other source)?

Can the unworn buckets be reused?

Can the others be refaced?

Can I regrind the cam?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd April 2012 at 09:05 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Any chance of a new cam and buckets from Peugeot (or any other source)?

Can the unworn buckets be reused?

Can the others be refaced?

Can I regrind the cam?
    I can send you a DFZ cam but you would probably be better off with a DKZ cam.
    I had an 8 valve cam (DFV, narrow lobe) with a worn lobe that was flatter , less pointy, than the good ones.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Can I regrind the cam?
    Your cam (and matching buckets) is worn beyond repair.

2nd hand buckets can be sourced from a 2L 8V. They need to be dressed however. Fitting 2nd hand buckets to a new (or different) cam will result in lobe failure.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thank you Peter. What do you mean by 2L 8V?

And what is the dressing you speak of?

2 Litre, 8 valve XU10J2 as fitted to late 405, early Xantia etc.

http://www.taylor-eng.com/16v_head/16v_head.htm

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Another question.

If I replace the camshaft will it fit straight in the head ? I know the head camshaft bearings are line bored so not sure if clearance allows camshaft swaps. My guess is yes, but would like confirmation.

Yes, it will drop straight in but you'll need to check valve clearances and adjust shims as required.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Default Head available

Found the cam as promised, it is attached to a head, you can have the lot, cam head, buckets, valves etc. for $50
    Graham

Thread Information