504 Ventilation Lever
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Ventilation Lever

Hi,

I tried to use the windscreen dimister in the car for the first time on the weekend, and found that the lever on the bottom-right (the one that controls whether the air goes to the windscreen or not) seems to be jammed. The lever itseld feels sort of doughy and just spring back to the middle of the slider. At the monent the air comes out of the vents near your feet, and the grills that pull out of the dash top...

Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before?? I really don't want to pull the dash apart...

Thanks
    Thomas

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_95 View Post
    Hi,

I tried to use the windscreen dimister in the car for the first time on the weekend, and found that the lever on the bottom-right (the one that controls whether the air goes to the windscreen or not) seems to be jammed. The lever itseld feels sort of doughy and just spring back to the middle of the slider. At the monent the air comes out of the vents near your feet, and the grills that pull out of the dash top...

Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before?? I really don't want to pull the dash apart...

Thanks
    Thomas
    Become a contortionist an look under the dash.

The controls operate the flap via rigid cable inside a plastic outer. Either the cable has come adrift or the plastic outer is cracked with a piece missing or broken causing the inner cable to seize or loose travel.

Either way it's a @#*&^%$ job to repair. Sometimes it's easier to drop the dash out, with minor disconnections to access the cable. You may be able to remove the glove box and access through there.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Become a contortionist an look under the dash.

The controls operate the flap via rigid cable inside a plastic outer. Either the cable has come adrift or the plastic outer is cracked with a piece missing or broken causing the inner cable to seize or loose travel.

Either way it's a @#*&^%$ job to repair. Sometimes it's easier to drop the dash out, with minor disconnections to access the cable. You may be able to remove the glove box and access through there.
    Thanks for the reply

Boy, does that sound like fun... I think I might give it a go on my spare car first; it won't matter so much if I break something on that...

A good spray of wd40 with the straw attachment may save you time and hassle.

mud
    Fellow Frogger!

not worth fixing, as others have said its a prick to fix and if you do, the air flow is so pathetic it doesnt work anyway

go to super cheap and buy a bottle of rainex anti-fog, works heaps better.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    not worth fixing, as others have said its a prick to fix and if you do, the air flow is so pathetic it doesnt work anyway

go to super cheap and buy a bottle of rainex anti-fog, works heaps better.
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine the flow being all that good. But it would be nice to have working...

The flap in the ventilation unit will be seized. The flex in the cable will allow some movement at the control, but it will always spring back to the centre.

If you have air conditioning, it can be a bit of a pain to get to the flaps. Otherwise if you stand on your head you should be able to see it.

At any rate, it's much easier just to pull the whole dash out.

Pulling the dashboard out of a 504 is very simple. Takes no time at all. I think there's an illustrated walkthrough on here somewhere, use the search function.

Mud, I'm not sure what you mean by lack of airflow to the windscreen in a 504.... in my experience, 504 demisters are excellent! However, there are cardboard hoses from the heater unit to the diffusers under the windscreen, and these can rot or fall off. I replace them with convoluted rubber hoses.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

mud
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Mud, I'm not sure what you mean by lack of airflow to the windscreen in a 504.... in my experience, 504 demisters are excellent! However, there are cardboard hoses from the heater unit to the diffusers under the windscreen, and these can rot or fall off. I replace them with convoluted rubber hoses.

hmmm, well i guess each car is differant depending on how its been treated etc. all the 504s ive had the fan power has been crap and air flow to the windscreen so small only a strip of about 1-2" at the bottom has been demisted.

perhaps my cars have had the rotten cardboard hoses you speak about..lol

ive never bothered to try fix them as i found the rainex anti fog i mentioned before to work wonders! i even use it in cars that have awesome demisters

The other problem I find regularly with 504s is that the heater core itself gets clogged with dust and fluff and doesn't flow air properly.

For me, one of the big disadvantages of the 505 over the 504 is the lack of flow-through ventilation in the later model. In a 504, with the foot flaps open, cold air through the centre ventilation system to the feet and the dashboard centre vents all open, it's like a gale force wind at any speed. The 505 however is a bit asthmatic, limited to what it can force through the vents which are inadequately small for the Australian climate. The series 2 505 was a little better, but I think that's more due to the placement of the vents closer to the face rather than the system behind it.

Now a 604, there's a car with a brilliant ventilation and aircon system!
    Scotty

Oh yes, and the fans also suffer from bad electrical connections due to the three killers of 504 electrics:

1. The main plug between the engine bay and the fuse box is inadequate for the power requirements of the car. Often they are burned or melted, and any corrosion in there exacerbates the problem. The plug is located behind the glovebox area, just after the heavy main leads come through the firewall.

2. Earths. Any corrosion on the main earthing points behind the instrument cluster will result in dim lights, slow indicators, poor ignition system performance and slow interior fan.

3. Worn out resistive track on the fan controller. Very common after this much time, and also very easy to fix. Dismantle the centre ventilation control panel, and move the resistive PCB a couple of millimetres so that the brush is always in contact with an unworn piece of track.
    Scotty

Scotty,

I think it's time you got around to writing "Care and Maintenance of the 504". Put me down for a copy.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Thread Information