205 GTI stutter
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 GTI stutter

Default 205 GTI stutter

It happened all of a sudden after having parked the car for a couple of hours at home after work.

Advertisement

It feels like my older BMW when it starts on a couple of cylinders and then pulls the other two into firing, so I think it's something to do with the ignition. The difference is that the stutter of the GTI doesn't go away. It is very faint at idle, but clear under acceleration. I can even feel the car ever so slightly vibrating under acceleration when the stutter is at its worst. Power feels down too, not too much but distinct.

Any ideas what can be wrong? Am I right to suspect one of the cylinders is out?

As a matter of course I will pull the old strobe out tonight and check all cylinders are firing, but if that comes out good, what next?

I am more afraid this might be a problem that is clear under acceleration but does not show clearly at idle, so the strobe might show spark which will confuse things.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

TDC, coil, spark plugs etc. Many things to check
    406 D8 V6 manual

Not sure what you mean by TDC. My engine is the early Jetronic equipped which doesn't have a TDC sensor.

The rest is a matter of course.

I was just wondering if the ignition amplifier module can give these symptoms by somehow generating a weak spark. I don't know what its role really is that is why I have doubts.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

when was the last service? could be a dud spark plug/leads or a distributor....
    ahhhh the fun in peugeot problems

cheers

not long ago, about three months. Leads are high energy brand new Lumenition, plugs not sure I think NGK (replaced at the same time) by the book. I don't expect the problem is there, but who knows? In the past I had leads come off the dizzy cap, but this time I checked and it seems all is fine there.

We'll see the spark when I get home and take it form there.

Meanwhile, see questions above.

found the problem.

Stupid coolant or water corroded one of the sparkplug ends in the dizzy cap and corresponding plug wasn't firing (no signal) I think it has been doing it intermittently for a while, the plug doesn't fire even though I changed offending lead and cleaned the cap thoroughly so now there is pulse in the lead.

Waiting for engine to cool down before pulling the plug out to inspect.

Okay, fixed. Spark plug was indeed covered in crap from all the unburnt fuel
    Everything cool now.

Thread Information