Front end still knocking!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 Front end still knocking!

Hi again Froggers,

Seems I have been relegated the "old" car from the missus, although this is a good chance for me to look after the pug with a little TLC.

From my last post 206 GTi Steering Judder I have replaced both lower control arms- the right balljoint being particularly stuffed (thanks Simon SLC206- spot on!). This has obviously fixed the knocking on the right.

BUT, the car is being a little temperamental being started cold, and this has highlighted another knocking sound on the left. It seems the engine "bounces" when being cranked, and this gives and feels like what it used to do with the busted control arm.

With all the 206 owners out there (mines a '02 GTi 138) could this indicate an engine mount? I'm concerned that it shows the exactly the same symptoms as a suspension issue even though they have just been fixed.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks again,

Bigwal

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bigwal View Post
    With all the 206 owners out there (mines a '02 GTi 138) could this indicate an engine mount? I'm concerned that it shows the exactly the same symptoms as a suspension issue even though they have just been fixed.
    Hi bigwal,

What can I say - if you've already had two mounts replaced, there's only one more to go

I can't recall too many stories of people replacing the third (or gearbox) mount after failure, but this may be because it is hidden under the battery and nobody looks

The top (R/H) mount on my 180 failed and I noticed a rattle almost immediately, but I never had an issue with the other two mounts.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Hi Simon,

Thanks again for the response, although I'm a little confused as to the mount names and their locations.

I know there are three- one on the drivers side (which was sheared a few years ago), one on the bottom and one under the battery case.

I thought the bottom one was the gearbox mount, or is it the "battery" one? I thought the mechanic replaced the lower one, but I thought that was the "gearbox" mount.

Having replaced the gearbox oil a few weeks ago obviously I know where the gearbox is, but could you shed some light on it for a budding home mechanic?

Cheers,

bigwal

The right hand mount is near the ECU and timing cover (item 10 in pic).

The bottom mount is the fitting mounted on the engine block at the rear (through which the driveshaft travels). It has a link to the subframe to limit the engine twisting front to back - item 21/22 in pic.

The left mount is attached to the top of the gearbox and located under the battery box (item 13 in pic).

The pic is a little messy for a non-technical person, unfortunately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front end still knocking!-pug-mounts.jpg  
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Perfect. When the mechanic said he replaced the mount but didn't have to take the driveshaft out he was talking about the lower- meaning the drivers side and lower mounts have been replaced but not the passenger side (where the knocking is coming from).

I was confused which mount was near the driveshaft, which I thought was the gearbox mount.

Gotta love the Peugeot Service Box too

I'll shout you a beer if you're ever at the Ettamogah in Rouse Hill
    bigwal

Try tightening the main strut tower bolts - when they come loose they cause all sorts of wierd intermittent clunks etc. Cheap and easy.

Thread Information