405 srdt cam belt failure
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 405 srdt cam belt failure

was checking my tyres at the servo saturday night ,right hand front first engine running ,heard a little ,sound like the belt was wet or something just a mild cherp ,then went to the left front ,by the time i got to the left rear it was apparent the noise was getting worse so i got up to turn it off and by the time i got to the right hand rear wheel ,calunka lunca stop ,finnished checking the tyres ,checked accesory belt ,ok, tried to start it no compresh ,pushed it out on the street ,Organised a tow truck got a lift home, i was out sunday when the tow truck guy wrings to say he had a mate pick it up with a flat top but the towing eye broke off the front of the car it rolled off the truck knocking the guy down and hit a parked car , its now on your front lawn ,So i was freeking ,the front skurt was pulled off and the towbar saved the rear ,could have killed someone ,The cam belt was removed this arvo it was snapped, pump and both idlers turn freely the cam shaft rocks back and forward [not seized ]the vac pump was replaced new 12 months ago, the belt pump, idlers seals replaced first mth of 2010,fuel pump rebuilt at that time ,and re bench tester recently ,belt has been rubbing on the plastic cover by the static idler [that was the noise ],but how it caused the belt to snap straight across and why it got noisier ,almost as if something jammed ,but nothing is jammad ,[at the moment] I will have to get the head fixed and replace everything that moves related to the cam belt but id like to know what caused it ,any ideas PUGS

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

HI- I did a head on a 2 ltr 406 petrol.The belt had been done some 500 k earlier but the previous guy did not replace the damaged crank pulley cover.-air distorted the cover -prusimg when mobile -* de-railed the belt.Also I was not impressed with the fact that 3 of the four pulleys would ,never in my opinion ,done the 'full whack'.
    Disappointing as the work had been done about 500 k's earlier.
    Must find the cause before you re-assemble as is obviously what you are attempting to do.

Pekay.

1000+ Posts

Default picked up from lam lam

got my engine today ,in the process of makeing ready for the swap PUGS

Thread Information