Tyre Choice
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Tyre Choice

  1. #1
    Member 406bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    69

    Default Tyre Choice

    Have not had anything much but Michelin ( because I am a tyre snob ) for a long time and been very happy. My 3 yr old daughter knows tyres mostly as bibendums (gotta train em early).

    Advertisement


    However after some consideration I tried the Kuhmo Ecsta LX KU27 on my 607.

    After nearly 5000 km mixed driving they are some of the nicest tyres I have had.
    Very quiet, can't see any wear yet.
    It is not a sports car but no complaints about grip in the very wet Sydney weather.
    Dry grip is excellent and squeal free.

    I highly recommend them and can see them lasting very well in what is a heavy front drive V6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tyre Choice-sideon.jpg   Tyre Choice-closeup.jpg  

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! 908HDI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Kuhmo seem to be good value for money but they are no Michelin competitors.

    The aviation industry uses Michelin and for good reason.

    The three best tyres I have experienced are;

    1] Michelin
    2] Continental
    3] Bridgestone

    The spare under my 504 is still an XZX

    Everyone will have a differing opinion but it all boils down to horses for courses.

    Barnacle brain at work changes his rear tyres every 3 months on his "Ute" or "Pikey Wagon" as we call it. He's used all the brands and destroyed them just as quickly. The Asian tyres seem to shred more easily and expose the webbing / inner layers....Great education, although be it at an extreme level.

    Another 3 points and the next set will last him well over a year...

  3. #3
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    I've always had Michelins on the 406 too. I've never had a Pug without using Michelins since I put XASs on my 404 40 years ago.

    However, I have never really been impressed by the 406 (2.1 diesel). It's a nice car to drive but it's no stand-out. I could never understand why so many AFers regarded it as such a great car to drive.

    About 6 months ago it was due for new tyres and I took what the tyre dealer had available. He asked if I wanted another set of Michelins, and I decided that I didn't care. I told him that anything that wasn't rubbish would be fine. He had a set of Yokohamas on special, so I took them.

    Well, they have transformed the car. Nimble, chuckable, pin-point steering accuracy - my God ... I was driving a Peugeot again.

  4. #4
    Member 406bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    69

    Default too true

    Yup,

    I wouldn't put anything but Michelin on my um.. Plane OR my 908 .. ha ha..

    The Primacy LC and PS3 were the Michelin options and 2 different outlets warned me that on that style of car they would not be there for the long haul.(mileage) certainly bears out with reviews of the PS3.

    My favourite recent Michelin was the MXV8 on my D8 406 (i don't care what they say, it had old school Peugeot shocks and D9's didn't ) which was driving nirvana yet to be surpassed.

    Very impressed with the Kumho.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! tazfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Burnie/Tasmania
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I've always had Michelins on the 406 too. I've never had a Pug without using Michelins since I put XASs on my 404 40 years ago.

    However, I have never really been impressed by the 406 (2.1 diesel). It's a nice car to drive but it's no stand-out. I could never understand why so many AFers regarded it as such a great car to drive.

    About 6 months ago it was due for new tyres and I took what the tyre dealer had available. He asked if I wanted another set of Michelins, and I decided that I didn't care. I told him that anything that wasn't rubbish would be fine. He had a set of Yokohamas on special, so I took them.

    Well, they have transformed the car. Nimble, chuckable, pin-point steering accuracy - my God ... I was driving a Peugeot again.
    Well...I have been trying to tell fellow Pug owners this for ages
    Our '03 307XSEA 2.0 litre has worn Yokohamas since the original Pirellis woe out el rapido!
    The car has covered 130,000klm and wears Yokohama AVS Db Decibal V550's....which have recently been upgraded to V551's....I also use this tyre on my '98 XJ8 Jaguar.
    They are without doubt the quitest tyre I have experienced over the years with good steering response, brake performance, handling wet weather grip.....do I like them.....that is a definte YES!
    Companies like Pirelli and Michelin rely too much on their past reputations and are not as good as they usd to be.

    Cheers,
    Tazfrog

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! Doush_504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    625

    Default

    If we're talking 16' and up, my choice would be the Michelin Primacy HP without a split second of hesitation.
    Chadi

    1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

    All since new


  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! 908HDI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    380

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney - Chatswood
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    It is my understanding that the Michelins we get in Australia are not from the same factory as the Michelins distributed around Europe.

    From my own experience, the Michelins I had on my 605 in Europe I couldn't fault. Driven to the extreme, in snow, torrential rain and 45 degree heat, all of it at high speeds, including significant sessions at extremely high speed (200+ in the wet).

    However, every time I've had Michelins in Australia it has been a bitter disappointment. Now I run Yokohama C-Drives (recommended by people on this forum) and I love them. Very progressive wet weather behaviour, quiet, consistent, etc. Yes, they wear fast. But they maintain their grip when they're 3/4 worn, unlike many other tyres that are great when new and terrible when they reach their 50% mark.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

    1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

    Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts bigkev414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    gold coast queensland
    Posts
    4,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    It is my understanding that the Michelins we get in Australia are not from the same factory as the Michelins distributed around Europe.

    From my own experience, the Michelins I had on my 605 in Europe I couldn't fault. Driven to the extreme, in snow, torrential rain and 45 degree heat, all of it at high speeds, including significant sessions at extremely high speed (200+ in the wet).

    However, every time I've had Michelins in Australia it has been a bitter disappointment. Now I run Yokohama C-Drives (recommended by people on this forum) and I love them. Very progressive wet weather behaviour, quiet, consistent, etc. Yes, they wear fast. But they maintain their grip when they're 3/4 worn, unlike many other tyres that are great when new and terrible when they reach their 50% mark.
    I agree entirely, I would have made the same comments if I were elequent enough (can't spell either). I have to admit that even though I have had a few French cars my heart is Volvo.......yes, I finally admit it. I have had the same experiences with 'modern' Michelins and have Yokohamas on my S70T (which is for sale by the way) and have had them previously and they are the most comfortable tyre I could find. I also Like Continentals - last Pug I bought (2010 308) was new with michelins and the dealer swapped them for me and put Continentals on and 'viva la difference' - excellent too.
    Last edited by bigkev414; 21st March 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: speling
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 406bliss View Post
    ........and PS3 were the Michelin options and 2 different outlets warned me that on that style of car they would not be there for the long haul.(mileage) certainly bears out with reviews of the PS3.
    In my case , they would have been dead right, but probably for the wrong reasons.......the decision to remove them from the sharp end had nothing to do with the tyre wearing out......It's simply an under performing tyre when used in the context it is sold as, a sports tyre. It's expensive too.
    Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 21st March 2012 at 03:05 PM.

  11. #11
    Member Rikenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    39

    Default Tyre choice

    After the Yokohama tyres wore out very quickly (29K) on my 607 I took the liberty of fitting the highly recommended 225/50R17 Kumho KU27 Platinum LX tyres to my 607. These tyres were designed to accommodate prestige cars such as Mercedes, BMW,Lexus,Audi and of course the range of Peugeot vehicles such as 406,407 & 607.
    Since fitting these tyres the car has transformed into a very precise handling motor vehicle in both dry and wet weather conditions, the pattern is asymmetrical which helps eliminate tread flaring and noise.
    I was so impressed with the KU27 tyres that I have now fitted them to my Holden Calais . The size is 245/40R19 and they have traveled 44K to date with at least 65 70% left, The reason for the good mileage is the 170 kilometers I travel every day on the M5 & M7. I believe the tyres will do at least 100K on this vehicle before they will have to be replaced. The tyres were quite when fitted and still remain quite.


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    perth.
    Posts
    44

    Default

    This discussion on tyres is interesting. So are some of the Tyre tests and reviews. In one test someone states that the tyre is quiet and then someone else states that the tyre is noisy.
    I have a 2002 406 Hdi with 60 000 kms and I have always found the car very hard riding. The original Michelins had no ride comfort.And the next set of tyres were Hankook 195/70x14 which aren,t proving much better.
    Some tyres are listed as "quiet" but that only applies to their "rolling"tread noise.
    Oh , I wish that I had a car with compliant suspension and tyres. Wait a minute , aren't I describing my 504 and its new Michelin MX2 s with 70 % aspect ratio.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nowra
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Spose I should hang my head in shame by admitting that I run Nangkangs on my 407 SV sport. But then given the kind of driving I do I find them more than adequate. I now expect to be howled down in derision by the francophile tyre snobs in the forum. BTW I also don't use Purflux filters. Now I spose my engine is going to blow up and the wheels are going to fall off.

  14. #14
    607
    607 is offline
    Member 607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    77

    Icon7 607 tyres.

    Hi and great news about the Khumo tyres as I need some new ones soon. My main statement is that I dont know any fellow 607 owners in Brisbane and having just purchased one I am keen to make contact with a fellow 607 owner here as I only know one in Perth. If you feel it is ok I would love to discuss our model of car and the good and bad points that come with it. Please feel free to PM me so we can chat about our cars.

    Cheers
    Justin

  15. #15
    607
    607 is offline
    Member 607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rikenman View Post
    After the Yokohama tyres wore out very quickly (29K) on my 607 I took the liberty of fitting the highly recommended 225/50R17 Kumho KU27 Platinum LX tyres to my 607. These tyres were designed to accommodate prestige cars such as Mercedes, BMW,Lexus,Audi and of course the range of Peugeot vehicles such as 406,407 & 607.
    Since fitting these tyres the car has transformed into a very precise handling motor vehicle in both dry and wet weather conditions, the pattern is asymmetrical which helps eliminate tread flaring and noise.
    I was so impressed with the KU27 tyres that I have now fitted them to my Holden Calais . The size is 245/40R19 and they have traveled 44K to date with at least 65 70% left, The reason for the good mileage is the 170 kilometers I travel every day on the M5 & M7. I believe the tyres will do at least 100K on this vehicle before they will have to be replaced. The tyres were quite when fitted and still remain quite.

    please see below fellow 607 owner

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Redcliffe
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I've always had Michelins on the 406 too. I've never had a Pug without using Michelins since I put XASs on my 404 40 years ago....Yokohamas...
    they have transformed the car.
    You'll find that in 40 years most tyres have greatly improved. I'd much rather a 'no name' tyre of today than a 'good brand' tyre made to 1970s specs. Yokohamas are no slouch though and I'd rate them above Michelin anyway.

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! Mi16 Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Just parted company with a set of Turanza ER300's on the 307 HDi Touring. Brilliant tyre, especially in the wet. Lasted 60,000kms!

    Replaced by their (as advised) newer equivalent "MYO1"'s.

    Notes, much quieter and, better turn in. Will report back!
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

    Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

    In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

    Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! Dijon16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    378

    Default

    I'd have to join the anti-Michelin band. There's another (much longer) thread about this, but briefly I recently went from the soft-but-good Cdrives on the 406 SV to Michie Primacy LCs. Car drives like they are inflated to 100psi and considering that they are promoted as an 'economical' tyre, I have not had any lower-than-average economy since being fitted.

    I do keep accurate records, yet to sit down and work it out in detail. When I do, I'lll post them.

    Chris

  19. #19
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Michelin? well in the 205/60R15 range for a 406SV they do not offer very much at all...

    I considered fitting the Primacy LC as the name suggests thinking they may have the qualities of the earlier Primacy Sport tyres from back in 2001... well not so...

    Over the life of the vehicle - Primacy Sport (OEM great and very round - made in Germany), Michelin MXV8 (replaced after 800km terrible - made in Thailand), Pirelli P7 (sharp handling and noisy towards the end of life - made in Germany), Michelin Pilot Sport (sharp handling - a bit of crash and banging - made in Thailand)..

    Finally replaced with Continental Premium Contact 2's (great handling and supple ride - made in Portugal) - best of the lot ! Pity it took me over 215,000km before fitting them....

    Paul

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts 504-504-504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Far North Queensland
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Asymetric Tyres

    If one is running asymetric tyres in theory you should carry two spares.
    Say you have a flat tyre and have to put the asymetric spare on such that is rotating opposite its designed direction.
    Will this cause damage to the tyre?
    Will there be handling/braking problems?
    Would it be better to carry a non-asymetric spare?

    Paul

    "A straight is merely the distance between corners".

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts BIGRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Rocks, Sydney
    Posts
    2,439

    Default Anyway you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504 View Post
    If one is running asymetric tyres in theory you should carry two spares.
    Say you have a flat tyre and have to put the asymetric spare on such that is rotating opposite its designed direction.
    Will this cause damage to the tyre?
    Will there be handling/braking problems?
    Would it be better to carry a non-asymetric spare?

    Paul

    "A straight is merely the distance between corners".
    Apparently running asymetric tyres backwards is NO problem, have a look at how Bridgestone Adrenalins work! (and most tyres these days including the Pirelli P zeros on my 407 coupe), Google one up and study the pattern (they are all only made in one "hand"), and they instruct to run the side marked outside outermost! Therefore one side of the car runs the tyres correctly for rotation and the other runs them backwards.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

    Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

    "Be reasonable do it my way!"


  22. #22
    1000+ Posts 504-504-504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Far North Queensland
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Thanks BigRR
    I think I was a bit confused as to what asymetric meant in relation to tyres.
    Was thinking it meant they could only rotate one way but that would mean buying lh rotating and rh rotating tyres.
    My mistake.
    Sorry folks thanks for being patient with this old fart.

    Paul

    "A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! Decca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    I also Like Continentals - last Pug I bought (2010 308) was new with michelins and the dealer swapped them for me and put Continentals on and 'viva la difference' - excellent too.

    Big K which Michies and Continentals are they.

    I need some new rubber for my 308

    Thanks

    Decca

    PS have Bridgy Potenzas on at the moment. Very good generally...but NOISEY!
    Last edited by Decca; 6th April 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

    Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    I have been running Michelin primacy LC's for the last 15k and they are not bad. Not as grippy but quite a good tire. Not sure I would have paid the extra $100 for the pilots.
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504 View Post
    Thanks BigRR
    I think I was a bit confused as to what asymetric meant in relation to tyres.
    Was thinking it meant they could only rotate one way but that would mean buying lh rotating and rh rotating tyres.
    I knew what you meant, where the sidewall direction arrow would face backwards and the tread pattern would draw water into the centre of the tyre.
    Its not a big issue unless you are driving at 100% hoon in the wet, and even then its not the end of the world unless you run out of talent.

    You could do a lot worse than having a tyre mounted ass about..........a space saver tyre for example.



    Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •