what are aussiefrogs using to clean leather?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default what are aussiefrogs using to clean leather?

Hi all, currently own a beautiful 2002 307, and was wondering what everyone uses to clean the leather seats with?

Advertisement

invested in some autoglym leather balm but couldnt justify spending $30 on a cleaner.
    ive been told soapy water will do the trick, using velvet soap (or something simillar that isnt too harsh)

suggesttions would be great everyone

Conrad

I believe it is better to use a product designed for the specific use. In the big dollar picture surely spending $30 every year or so would be seen as a good investment ?

Default Autoglym

Use the matching cleaner. Vaccum and dust with short bristles all the crud out of the seems and piping and you will be suprised at what comes out/off the leather.
    It has worked well for me on the 607 and also good on the steering wheel as these can get shinny and yuk. It will matify after about a week and gives as natural a look as you are likely to find.
    There are other great products like leather therapy etc..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what are aussiefrogs using to clean leather?-imgp8649.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Default i use

GLITZ leather conditioner ,from Bunnings its great ,PUGS

Default Look to home!

Bowden's make a fabulous cleaner and wax in one, easy to use, and works a treat. Also made in Oz with NO silicone
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Tadpole

thanks for all the replies...

think i may look around for a good cleaner from somewhere, any recommendations of where, perhaps on the web, is a good place to buy from, i have been just going to the local autobarn to get all my stuff, but i have a feeling there would be a cheaper online alternative.

also have considered looking at the supermarket for a leather cleaner that would do the trick.

i am thinking to give the leather a good clean and condition about twice a year properly and all through the year give it a coating of 303 aerospace once every couple of months.

for those who havent used that stuff, its really quite amazing and protects just about anything.

thanks guys for the help

Fellow Frogger!

i coould never go without maguires. they are the best in all cleaning products. for automotive use. in my opinion.

cheers

Tadpole

i coould never go without maguires. they are the best in all cleaning products. for automotive use. in my opinion.

cheers
    what have you used out of curiosity, brand wise that is? and why maguiars, i have heard some terrible things about their leather stuff particularly... interesting

cheers

Fellow Frogger!

maguiers leather products are best used as a wax on wax off application . so you apply however much you desire ( less is more ) and then wipe of with another ( clean rag ) the results come out beautiful. as for the other products you'll have to be more spacific. eg glass , wax ect.

cheers and happy conditioning

always use a cleaner and conditioner seperatly. Cleaning the leather implies that you remove not only the dirt but also its protection layer. You use a other product to again nourish the leather.
    I use colour lock. During the cleaning I use also a very soft brush to clean the grain of the leather.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Guys be careful with cleaners... they can take the colour out of some leathers... especially older cars...

Bowden stuff is pretty good and they also do a "leather guard"... kinda like a sealant for leather...

mequires old leather product was just junk...especially their old gold class... new one is better as atleast it doent leave the dry residue old conditioner used to do...

IMO top three readily available conditioners are:
    Mothers, autoglym and Bowdens...

get Zymol if you can... a more "natural" alternative that conditions as well as most...

So... just to reiterate... avoid cleaners.... but if you must.... test section first... then if using a commercial product, follow through with a damp cloth and a dry one soon after...

I really dont see why one would need strong cleaners for leather especially considering its one of the easiest surfaces to clean (after vinyl) ...generally a damp cloth (hot water and some household detergent) is enough... wipe away with another "just" damp to remove detergent residue...dry and the condition the living daylights out of it...

easy peasy....

dino

Fellow Frogger!

i havent found a product yet that keeps that leather smell. i really love it.

cheers

My experience is working with sadlery...but I clean and condition all my leather items (shoes, handbags, belts, purses) the same way.

Work a small amount of saddlesoap in with a damp cloth...let sit for 5 mins or so (depending on temperature...more for cold weather, perhaps a little less for hot weather. Wipe off with a slightly damper cloth well rinsed each time until residue is removed.

Apply saddle oil with a paint brush (I find equinade saddle oil to be the best). Note how long it takes for the oil to soak into the leather. Dry damaged leather will soak it up in seconds (even instantly) ...nourished and protected leather will remain with an oily film.

Keep feeding oil into the leather until the film remains for longer than 20 seconds. let it sit for 15 minutes in the shade. Wipe off excess oil with a clean dry cloth.

The last step (conditioning) is the one which really makes a difference to the longterm health and strength of the leather. after numerous experiments...I don't use anything other than Leather seal. It contains beeswax, lavender oil and eucalyptus oil.

Gently and sparingly work it into the leather with a clean cloth in circular fashion until it works deep into the pores (or massage it in with your hands). Use very sparingly around the seams but ensure full coverage and work it in well. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then buff it up with another clean dry cloth.

You will end up with leather that is cleaned, fed and protected, supple and resilient. It will also smell nice, be waterproof and non slippery. As well as soft and comfy.

from then on, you only really have to give it a leather seal treatment each year unless it becomes really dirty (saddle soap), or really dry (which requires a feed of oil).

Dry leather will crack and break. If your leather is in this sort of state....or almost there....increase the amount of time you allow the oil to soak in before working it or sealing it (overnight is good). Also avoid the temptation to soak it in oil until it is saturated (this will weaken it further)....give it several days to rest after sealing, before using, and decrease the interval between feeds.
    ie: do a small feed, then another one a month later. Top it up slowly.
    The leather will tell you how much it needs by its soak in times. 5-10 seconds is ideal for restoration.

Hope the instructions make sense...It took many experiments and even equipment failure (seriously not fun on a horse at gallop) for me to find the ideal treatments, products and times/amounts I could trust completely. but since working it out....I've had some very poor leather conditions restore to practically new.

Thanks Dino....I was definitely talking about old skool leather ...your info was very valuable.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Tadpole

Default bowdens or autoglym?

so im thinking now of going and exchanging the autoglym i got and getting the bowdens clean and protect ones.

bowdens or autoglym then???

Go bowdens... not only because its aussie made but because its good stuff...

dino

Fellow Frogger!

All the above a restorative measures (silver medal stuff). The best is keeping it out of the sun (gold medal winner) - I'm a motor trimmer

what are aussiefrogs using to clean leather?

Above is the title...

How is "keeping" it out of the sun going to keep your leather "clean"...
    ITS NOT...

dino

Someone offers advice slightly off topic, but helpful advice nonetheless and you shoot them down in flames : (

Just wonder how this contributes in a positive way to the thread although you did end it with " Cheers ".....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Someone offers advice slightly off topic, but helpful advice nonetheless and you shoot them down in flames : (

Just wonder how this contributes in a positive way to the thread although you did end it with " Cheers ".....
    you are right... I m in one of those moods...

I did add the " " .... very mean i know... I do hope Leo will somehow surmount the emotional carnage I have inflicted upon him...

dino

I did pm him the name of my therapist just in case......

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I did pm him the name of my therapist just in case......
    hope your therapist doesnt have a "leather" chaise and if he does, it might be wise that you forewarn him to move it away from the window...

dino

there go my chances of having any discounted motor trimming done... bugger.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    you are right... I m in one of those moods...

I did add the " " .... very mean i know... I do hope Leo will somehow surmount the emotional carnage I have inflicted upon him...

dino

dino, go and clean your ID's vinyl (or rust green panels) if you are in one of those moods!

To add other brands, neither cheap I'm afraid, consider Gliptone (pH Neutral cleaner and Liquid Leather) and Leatherique (Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil). Connolly's Hide Food is another automotive specialty product, but not always easy to find.

Thread Information