Biodiesel
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Biodiesel

Biodiesel

I think I should explain my choice of name. I am interested in making Biodiesel. This is vegetable oil with the Glycerin molecule stripped off. (Refer <www.veggievan.org>
    Biodiesel is interchangeable with diesel, but if used straight, there must only be synthetic seals, tubing etc. Most cars post 94 have these mods anyway.
    There is a small group here, making a plant to produce small quantities for personal use. (ie 200 litre batches: 1 months supply for 1 person)
    regards Doug

Advertisement

1000+ Posts
    Hmm..you get fish and chips via the back door eh?

Interestingly, I've read that in Germany you can buy rape seed oil from servos via the pump to run in some diesels (canola oil). VW have some Golf ads showing the fields of yellow flowers etc.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts
    Biodiesel, I note you haven't read the message I sent you with Caravelle's contact details. See under your Profile.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yep, I did (Thanks). I run Linux, so maybe the confirmation didnt go thru??
    (I also mentioned to Caravelle that you introd me - their prices look good, so I will be buying some parts V soon.)
    My brake Job was not as major as I thought, the booster tested OK, & the brake place kitted the master cyl & wheel cylinders. There was no pitting, so a hone & rubbers was all. Cost $180 for 2x Drum mach, 2x Disc mach, test Booster, & reKit Wheel cyl & M/cyl.
    Please note that Peugeot dosent supply Kits for rebuilding M/cyl or Wheels, but the cups etc are available. I would not have rebuilt the rear wheel cyls, except they were not leaking, & had no damage. (The pressure limiting valves are internal in one piston in each rear cylinder, and were not tampered with.)
    I am currently re-assembling, & will bleed & test tomorrow.

Regards Doug

Hey guys,
    I have an 85 505 SRD Turbo Diesel, and i have been using Bio-Diesel for the last 14 months with great results, it runs really well, slightly smoother running than diesel, and a hell of alot cleaner(Not suprising since the diesel engine was actually designed to run on peanut oil). Although catching a wiff of the exhaust will have you running for the nearest McDonalds.

Hey, Mr Clint_on, what processor do you use?? & what do you pay for Methanol? (Best quote we have had is about $1/litre)
    The processor we are building is based on a Stainless H/w tank with all processes enclosed. It will make 200L batches (enuf for month).
    Regards Doug

What is it like getting the supplies of used cooking oils, and do you have to pay for them?

About used cooking oil: U dont need to pay for it, as the shops usually have to pay to have it removed. It is best to word the shop up, as they usually decant into a big tank, but it is easier to pick up in 20L drums. Make sure the lids are tight & have a system to hold the drums in the boot. (Dont ask - but not the Pug)
    regards Doug

Hey, Sorry for the delay, i have been away. About the processor. well he uses a cobination od plastic and steel 205litre drums. One Bulk oil tank to recieve all the collected waste oil. There have been many modifications and improvements to the system over the last year, and it's an on going process of continual improvement in efficiency and final product quality. Untill recently, Heating was done by gas burners. But most of the heating is now done by burning the waste of the refining process(Glycerine+impurities) This heats 200l of oil to 80 degree's in about 20-25 min. And saves quite a bit on the gas bill. There is also a solar heat exchanger now used to initially heat the oil to about 60 degrees, so now it uses even less to reach the required temp. A still is used to reclaim some of the methanol used, although only about 250ml max can be saved from each 200litre batch. But it all adds up. I think he gets his methanol for about 90 cents a litre, but he has alot of connections in the fuel industry and used to own service stations, so that price is probably not realistic for any of the rest of us.

Anyway, Gotta go.
    Clint

Hey, Sorry for the delay, i have been away. About the processor. well he uses a cobination od plastic and steel 205litre drums. One Bulk oil tank to recieve all the collected waste oil. There have been many modifications and improvements to the system over the last year, and it's an on going process of continual improvement in efficiency and final product quality. Untill recently, Heating was done by gas burners. But most of the heating is now done by burning the waste of the refining process(Glycerine+impurities) This heats 200l of oil to 80 degree's in about 20-25 min. And saves quite a bit on the gas bill. There is also a solar heat exchanger now used to initially heat the oil to about 60 degrees, so now it uses even less to reach the required temp. A still is used to reclaim some of the methanol used, although only about 250ml max can be saved from each 200litre batch. But it all adds up. I think he gets his methanol for about 90 cents a litre, but he has alot of connections in the fuel industry and used to own service stations, so that price is probably not realistic for any of the rest of us.

Anyway, Gotta go.
    Clint

max
    Tadpole
    Hmm....very interested in the "biodiesel" thing guys. Do you have any knowledge of any proccessing etc in NZ?? Alternatively can you suggest some links to start researching?

For info on the Bd, try
    <http://www.veggievan.org>

The process is simple, but extreme care is required as it requires a calalyst that is Caustic Soda mixed with Alcohol, which makes a chemical that will be absorbed by skin & is poisonous.(Our converter plant currently under construction has everything enclosed, minimising risk) The by-products (glycerine) is bio-degradeable, and the resulting diesel substitute is mixeable with normal diesel, so no prob on trips. The Bio-diesel is easier on injector pumps, as long as the excess water is removed & the ph is balanced. Cost is about $0.35/litre (based on Methanol @ $1/litre)
    Regards Doug.
    PS: Clint, I would love to see more info on your system, particularly the Glycerine burner.(We would also be interested in a drive up to see it if he is amenable)

Tadpole

Default New factory made biodiesel processors from BioKing® for: $703.oo

New factory made biodiesel processors from BioKing® for: $703.oo

I just want to let you know that you can buy now new biodiesel processors from BioKing. You find all information on there website: www.bioking.nl

Can you use ethanol,i.e. methylated spirits instead of methanol?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information