Got a great original condition 205, worth selling or keeping for project?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Got a great original condition 205, worth selling or keeping for project?

Backstory:
    My father recently aquired a beautiful example of a 205 for the price of an old smartphone he was going to bottom draw anyway. What might this beauty be worth?

Car details:
    It's a white S3 3DR 205 SI 1.6 (8v single point injected ) auto. The car runs beautifully (better than my 99 206 GTi possibly), 60,000 original kms on the clock, has (as far as I can tell) all original body pannels with perfect gapping, original headlights and tail lights including the square fog lights with no fuzzyness or yellowness. Stock steel 13" wheels still but painted silver which looks recent (I'm thinking of painting them white when he's not looking for the Rallye look).

My plan:
    I plan to aquire this car when my father moves overseas before the end of this year and possibly turn it into a track/club day project. Goals for the project would be to make it as close to the 1.3L 205 Rallye, which was never offered here, as possible but with possibly more power. This would mean a manual transmission and LSD, lightened WHEREVER possible (lose all sound deadening, carpet, roof lining, interior plastics, replacing bonnet fenders and hatch with reinforced fibreglass, plastic side windows), Bilstein B14 coilovers and GTi front end and anti-roll bars, and some engine work (cams, dual or quad throttles, dual or quad point non-sequential injection, possibly a larger exhaust, engine swap to S16/GTi6/GTi180/Mi16 instead if manual box alone is pricey). My total budget would be somewhere in the realm of $3000 for parts as all work will be done by myself (non-sequential injection should be easy enough to tune with a potentiometer or fuel pressure regulator, right?).

My question is:
    Is it worth selling this car because it's in such good ORIGINAL condition and buying a GTi or Mi16 powered example, or would it be worth so little as an auto SI that it'd be best kept as my project car so I get a clean body and fresh canvas (except needing a manual and GTi suspension gear)?

Advertisement

Hello Bluefires.
    Even though Si's aren't the most desirable or collectable of the 205s it would be a shame to wreck a pristine example. Especially one with such low mileage.

A GTi would certainly be a better candidate for track work.
    It would have more suitable suspension which could be hard to graft onto a Si at the rear because of the different wheel arches.

I have a 205 Si shell in my back yard which you can have to work up if you are interested.
    That would get you started much sooner and preserve the good Si.
    This one is white too.

Where will you use it when finished?
    Tarmac Motor Sport is pretty thin on the ground up this way.

North Queensland Motor Sports Promotions have a training day on 1st April at the Mako Go-kart track at Mareeba.
    The full "GP" circuit not the public hire one.
    Its a prelude to their sprint day series, four rounds throughout the year.
    I'm hoping to run the 205 GTi Mi16 this year but don't expect too much from it until I upgrade the rear suspension.

Can send you details of the training day and the NQMP site if you are interested.
    Your 206 GTi should be a good candidate for the track.

Some other sprints held in Townsville too and then there is the Mt Stewart Hill Climb series.

Catch up some time at the Cairns European Car Club meeting.

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Fellow Frogger!

i havent seen many si's for sale latley so there might be a small demand from collectors, but if your planning on makeing a rally/track car you will probably want a GTI because there are more performance parts out their and the suspension set up is way better. their was a red 205 gti up for sale on this forum not along time ago and it came with a mi16 out of a bx16v and a disk brake rear end from an s3. this car would have been perfect for you!
    to bad he couldent even get 1000 bucks for it. so keep your eye's peeled for a good project/race car for sale.

good luck with it all, keep us posted

cheers

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Backstory:
    My father recently aquired a beautiful example of a 205 for the price of an old smartphone he was going to bottom draw anyway. What might this beauty be worth?

Car details:
    It's a white S3 3DR 205 SI 1.6 (8v single point injected ) auto. The car runs beautifully (better than my 99 206 GTi possibly), 60,000 original kms on the clock, has (as far as I can tell) all original body pannels with perfect gapping, original headlights and tail lights including the square fog lights with no fuzzyness or yellowness. Stock steel 13" wheels still but painted silver which looks recent (I'm thinking of painting them white when he's not looking for the Rallye look).

My plan:
    I plan to aquire this car when my father moves overseas before the end of this year and possibly turn it into a track/club day project. Goals for the project would be to make it as close to the 1.3L 205 Rallye, which was never offered here, as possible but with possibly more power. This would mean a manual transmission and LSD, lightened WHEREVER possible (lose all sound deadening, carpet, roof lining, interior plastics, replacing bonnet fenders and hatch with reinforced fibreglass, plastic side windows), Bilstein B14 coilovers and GTi front end and anti-roll bars, and some engine work (cams, dual or quad throttles, dual or quad point non-sequential injection, possibly a larger exhaust, engine swap to S16/GTi6/GTi180/Mi16 instead if manual box alone is pricey). My total budget would be somewhere in the realm of $3000 for parts as all work will be done by myself (non-sequential injection should be easy enough to tune with a potentiometer or fuel pressure regulator, right?).

My question is:
    Is it worth selling this car because it's in such good ORIGINAL condition and buying a GTi or Mi16 powered example, or would it be worth so little as an auto SI that it'd be best kept as my project car so I get a clean body and fresh canvas (except needing a manual and GTi suspension gear)?
    Fit a manual box and 14 inch pepperpot wheels then use it as a road car.
    These cars are the best kept secret of all, a really great car to drive everyday, but only the owners see this.
    205s are actually more competitive on the dirt, there is an autocross track near Townsville.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 18th March 2012 at 08:21 PM.

dont wreck it just for a club car i wouldnt mind it myself if the price was right and you decide to part with it. im sure someone else would appreciate it also for what it is.

there are so many s1 and s2 cars out there perfect for what you want and you dont need to change them anywhere near as much. i could not think of anything worse than chasing up all the bits just to convert it to a manual

plus if you run with a gti body it has better wheel arch clearance on the rear. cutting si arches in my opion completey stuffs the car and weakens the body. you could leave arches on the rear of an si std but you will struggle to get any decent rubber on it. if you go with a gti you could lose all the gti trim and fit some rallye arches to get the look you want and be miles ahead in all deparments.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't seen very much up this far in terms of GTis for sale, but that 205 Mi16 sounds great for $1000, I certainly must keep an eye out for these now, as I could get one in Brisbane at Christmas and take one (must be running) up on the train to Townsville or Cairns.

Paul, I've moved to Townsville for Uni this year, so I won't see you around untill a meeting in june/july holidays probably. A shell would be perfect for what I'm looking at doing, is it rolling? What's it missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Paul, I've moved to Townsville for Uni this year, so I won't see you around untill a meeting in june/july holidays probably. A shell would be perfect for what I'm looking at doing, is it rolling? What's it missing?
    Ah I wondered why you hadn't been to the club meetings.

Not rolling I'm afraid. Lots of bits removed to optimise the other 2 Si's
    Rear beam, front struts, driveshafts, exhaust all removed so far.
    Will probably strip it down completely and store parts for use on the other cars.
    Need to make a bit of room in the back yard.
    Garden shed to go up and hopefully a shade house for my bromeliads.
    Yet to retreive my 504 wagon and have been offered a 405 Mi16 (series 2 I think).
    So the Si spares car and Volvo 760 have to go as soon as I get my Rodeo back on the road to tow them away.

How much does it cost to freight a car up by rail?
    Is it cheaper than having it bought up by road?

Paul

A straight is merely the distance between two corners.

Fellow Frogger!

Because I'm on full time student youth allowance, I get a certain number of free train rides per year, and taking a car with you on the train is only $200-$300.

I was thinking of building a car for a track kit car (clubman or similar), but it is a very advanced project to undertake, and so ever since I changed my rear beam and saw that it's a simple 4 bolt install, I've been thinking that I could build a customized rear subframe from tube steel and build in a rear limited slip diff from something like a Silvia, then cut a hole from the back seat area and relocate a fuel cell tank, and have a motorcycle engine such as an R1 1300cc engine just behind the front seats, mounted to a rollcage with a section that matches an R1 frame. This would cut the weight substantially as well.

Thanks Bluefires,
    now you have got me thinking, I'm on a pension so also entitled to rail concession.
    Might be the way to go for my next purchase.

Your project sounds pretty ambitious.
    Are you studying engineering?
    Could you convince the Uni to take it on as a project?

Looks like you are having a bit of rain down your way.

Paul

A straight is merely the distance between two corners.

Fellow Frogger!

Mechanical Engineering. JCU actually has a club called JCU Motorsport which has built and is optimizing and racing a CBR600 powered kit car.

I realise it's a bit ambitious, but I do have some friends good with bikes and welding who I'll consult should I need to.

Thread Information