505 GR - T-Bar Auto - replace safety spring
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 GR - T-Bar Auto - replace safety spring

Folks,
    In Feb I wrote the following and I received some very helpful advice from 'Tassie Exec' 'Beano' and 'Pugnut1' for which I am very grateful !

Honestly I am stuck and can not work out step 1 which is to remove the flat plate/cover on top.

I have looked at the plastic cover and can not see a flat plate on top. I have explored ( with a razor blade and knife blade) to see if there is a cover plate. It seems to me that the black moulding is one part.
    I am endeavouring to get at the broken spring !

I have attached photos this time and perhaps there is a 'trick' to it that I can not see.

It is a puzzle I can not seem to work out !

If you, in your sympathy, can take pity on me and direct me I'd be very grateful !

In appreciation.

Ted

Feb Postings are ..........
    505sti (thats me, and I wrote )
    Folks,
    I have a 505 GR auto !

The T-Bar selector safety catch does not operate so it is possible to move the selector through all gears without operating the 'safety mechanism'.
    It appears that the safety spring is broken. So I wish to replace the spring.

I would like to know how to access the T-bar selector spring.
    I would be very grateful for any advice on the issue.
    Perhaps you can suggest where to get a 'T-bar spring'.

Advertisement

Thanks in anticipation !
    Ted

Tasssie Exec wrote
    Not an uncommon problem and pretty easy to fix, simply remove the flat trim plate that is on the top of the plastic gearleaver surround and undo one screw on the top of the surround and remove the surround, slip the light bulb holder out on the side of the surround after you lift it up slightly, warning you have manouvre the corrugated plastic strip out of the surround so as to lift the surround up and clear of the gear lever. Once you have done this simply unbolt the nut on the lever pivot point, remove the pivot shaft and then the lever, to access the spring you unbolt the nut on the bottom of the gear leaver and it comes apart, reassembly is just in reverse, a lttle fiddly but straight forward. New springs should be available from European Auto or Caravelle in victoria, trust this helps.

Beano wrote
    Yes....quite fiddly. Especially step #1....the flat trim plate. Gently lever it up from one side (er...the left, I think) with a small screwdriver and you will see that the other side has tabs. It then comes out sideways. It's very easy to break.
    The corrugated thingy is fun to play with too (and to put back , but you are not likely to break anything as you are with the trim plate.

Pugnut1 wrote
    I usually use a spring from an early 504 door handle button, cut in half - only because I have a couple left. I think they are probably less likley to break over time that the spring steel OEM unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 GR - T-Bar Auto - replace safety spring-505-tbar-closeup.jpg   505 GR - T-Bar Auto - replace safety spring-505-gr-tbar.jpg  

I had the same problem with my '79 504. [broken spring].
    The plastic trim cover on the auto stick is non removable!
    I replaced the whole lever etc with a second hand one.

Beano, yes the corrugated plastic trim is a fair B to refit. I've left mine off.

Default 505 GR - T-Bar Auto - replace safety spring

Hi Ted

The flat plate that we have referred to lays inside the small silver strip around the top of the gearlever surround and as far as i know all early 505's are like this and it is removable. It should lift out from the drivers side first with a thin blade as there are two tabs that engage on the passenger side, as has been said, be careful as they are fragile.
    Hope this helps
    Neil

I thought step 1 might leave you in a fix !
    I remember there are 2 tabs, so if Tassie Exec says they are on the right side, that is where they are.
    In your photo I can see how the thin plastic plate is set above everything else. It is in the shadow of the gear lever, slightly to the left at the top. This section is a separate piece from the bottom plastic bit, and goes all around the gearstick. It's only about 1 or 2 mm thick.
    Get a sharper knife than in the photo and gently insert it on the right hand side, right next to the silver bit.
    Exert pressure to the left to slightly compress and flip up the thin plastic piece.
    If it breaks, it's not the end of the earth.
    Once you take it off, you will find a screw to undo. After that, it's a big puzzle to take everything apart. Sorry, but I can't remember if you need to take apart part of the console. It's been a few years since I did this, and I'm not about to go outside and do it to my car in order to tell you !!!! However I suspect so. I hope you're good at puzzles.
    To get to the spring at the top of the gearstick, you have to take off a nut at the bottom of the gearstick. There is a rod which goes down inside it, held on by the nut.
    Have fun getting the corrugated plastic bit back on....it's not too hard the second or third try.....there is a sequence you need to do it in. You'll figure it out. Have patience !

By the way, when Wilderbeest says "The plastic trim cover on the auto stick is non removable" he means the very top part of the gearstick, not the piece I'm describing.
    Last edited by Beano; 17th March 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Thread Information