205 GTI in the for sale section.....scrap metal....noooooo!!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 GTI in the for sale section.....scrap metal....noooooo!!!

I just read a saddening post in the for sale section (where replies are locked).

Advertisement

The owner says he either has or is about to scrap his GTI because no decent offers have been made on it. I have my plate full already with a couple of resto projects and a shed full of bits, otherwise I would save this damsel in distress. Can someone please save her, if it's not too late...

I have no affiliation to the owner, its just that the thought of a GTI being crushed makes me blubbery.

DaveT

I think it might be a consequence of the owner not being realistic about their price. Apparently offers have been received, but not "acceptable". That tells me the owner is either not keen to sell, or unrealistic about price. Apparently they believe that some bits can be saved for later sale. This to me seems even more doubtful now that it turns out the whole car could not be sold be it the fault of the seller or not.

To me however this has anther meaning, because I have seen a lot of people dive head first in modifying 205GTIs and screw them up, then try to sell the rubbish they created for overinflated prices. That is why so many end up scrapped, I think. Good luck. I am looking forward to the day when my crappy gti will be the last unmodified example.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 17th March 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Sounded like good value to me.
    If I wasn,t so far away I would have snapped it up.

Paul

A straight is merely the distance between two corners.

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Whats a 205 worth as scrap anyway?
    I personally would rather give a car away than scrap one. I only got $50 for a magna station wagon (running) which was pretty sad.

Things look differently up close. I was on the point of scrapping mine at some point.

But in truth, I think giving something like that away rather than scrapping it takes a bit of generosity not usually associated with the average GTI owner it seems. Renault folk are apparently more generous and selfless.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 17th March 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes it does raise the question on what an out of rego 205 is worth.

Having bought 8 205s in the last 12 months between $100 and $800 I can say market rates is between this figure. $800 for a M116 powered one and $100 for a shell, $250 for another shell, then going ones at $250- 600.00. Enthusiast owned ones tend to hold for a higher price

Now registered, or near registrable tidy ones appear to be going up in value.

Old tired ones, that are beyond economical repair are pretty cheap at the moment, at least for the near future. I suggest within a few years this will change....

I think there where around 1400 GTis sold, greater than 50% of which are no longer around ..... at a guess.
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

plus private imports
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 17th March 2012 at 02:56 AM.

I am interested in AX16V's 205 , but am I too late !

Does any one have a phone number for him , if you do please call or txt me on 0414 223 817

I sent a PM this morning but dont want to miss out by a few hours.

I now have a storage space big enough for a 205 Project car.

Andy
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Tadpole

I have just made a second offer (previous offer was rejected) - and sent a text message, so I'm sure he will see both our offers in his inbox.

Cheers

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Maxi View Post
    Yes it does raise the question on what an out of rego 205 is worth.

Having bought 8 205s in the last 12 months between $100 and $800 I can say market rates is between this figure. $800 for a M116 powered one and $100 for a shell, $250 for another shell, then going ones at $250- 600.00. Enthusiast owned ones tend to hold for a higher price

Now registered, or near registrable tidy ones appear to be going up in value.

Old tired ones, that are beyond economical repair are pretty cheap at the moment, at least for the near future. I suggest within a few years this will change....

I think there where around 1400 GTis sold, greater than 50% of which are no longer around ..... at a guess.
    I paid $2400 for a tidy series 1 which I will simply store for the time being. The main problem with them dissappearing is that demand for parts will drop and then parts will become harder to get as manufacturers stop making them.
    I also have a nice clean Si stored away and would buy another if a good one comes up for sale.

Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 17th March 2012 at 08:48 AM.

It's interesting to see the far bigger effort the UK guys will go to have a working 205 - replacing huge rusted sections etc. I have a suspicion that any unmodded 205 in good cond will end up gold.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

I know of 2 people who offered over 1k ( as stated in the ad ) and he rejected them.

If the seller wants to sell it for a higher price. Then state a higher price and get what you want for it. Otherwise its wasting peoples time and will not get the car sold if thats actually what the party wants.

Im sure we all want a dirt cheap 205 and 1k i believe is cheap for a basically complete car. Yes you will have to spend money on it but its a start!!

I have also bought and sold some of these cheap 205s and the one in the ad with the stuff I believe is worth little over the 1k advertised. I have no room for more projects, love all 205s and would buy all but cant!! One day....

Please explain

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Just to make you all Jealous, my father recently aquired an extremely clean 60,000km white S3 205 SI 1.6 auto for the price of an old HTC Desire he didn't want. It was traded in to a family member of mine's Holden Dealership for minimum trade in and he couldn't sell it, so gave it away to us.

One of these days my father will be moving to a different country for business, and I'm planning a coup to aquire this 205 for the cost of the remaining rego...

Fellow Frogger!

There are some kind Peugeot drivers still out there, my 205GTI was given to me by a bloke from work, who rathered it get used for racing (Autocross) than stripped down for parts, or scrapped.

Realistically, scrapping should be a last resort, just my opinion.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

After reading the guys posts, he seems like a right pratt, Sorry to say it but that is the way he comes across to me.

After reading his for sale ad glad I didnt inquire.

And if your reading this, tough.

Rant over.

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Who in their right mind would think to "scrap" a running/working/drivable 205 GTi ???

That just seems insane. Peugeot lover or pretender?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Who in their right mind would think to "scrap" a running/working/drivable 205 GTi ???

That just seems insane. Peugeot lover or pretender?
    Citroen lover looking at his title.
    I wonder what the better value PSA car was, a Xsara VTS?
    I would agree that a standard DFW powered 205 isn't the ultimate and that an early 205 needs a bit of work in updates to bring it up to scratch but that's no reason to throw the car away so soon after advertising it.
    Graham

I made a personal offer of 1050 and offered to come and pick up the car myself on a car trailer the very next day, and he told me that he had received offers way in excess of that price. i wished him the best of luck with his sale and moved on. Yet he calls us the disrespectful vultures?

It all seemed very weird to me.

Very strange was to sell / advertise indeed.

Poor 205...
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

At least he said someone picked it up from the wreckers grasp, so one less 205 in our wreckers, and hopefully one more for the road.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Hi There,

There appears to be a lot of misinformation going around relating to the 205 I had for sale.

FACTS:

Mattythet came and had a look at the car and said he was going to offer in the region $1200-1300. I took his word for it. That is why I told the person who offered $1050 that I had had a higher offer. BTW he said' ill give you $1050 cash and i can pick it up tomorrow' before the auction had ended. Doesn't he understand the concept of an auction.

Mattythet finally puts up a reduced offer of $1085 with a load of conditions. Provide additional parts(alternator, starter motor, throttle body,...), delivery, etc at no additional cost. When I said that I could supply the additional parts and deliver the car I was doing to assist with the project. I was not giving away the additional parts. Also in the add I said that delivery was negotiable. Maybe he ignored the statement or doesn't understand the meaning of the word.

I sent him a reply rejecting his offer and invited him to make another offer before the auction close. He cam back with a revised offer, after the auction had closed, of $870. Reduced based on his valuation of the additional parts and his cost of hiring a trailer. I told him not to insult me.

I needed the car gone by Saturday that is why I offered delivery to Sydney. I rejected the offers after the close of the auction because the car was gone. I made the reference to vultures because people don't have the balls to put in any offer in the auction. Then they hang around at the end hoping to get something for next nothing.

If I was going to give the car to someone they would need to be deserving. Some members with posts have been slagging me off in ignorance or misinformation. Are they deserving of the car? I don't think so.

I wont bother responding to those who slagged me off because it is pointless. Thanks to all those people who agree with me that the unmodified car, 16V engine and disc brake rear end were good value. If Graham paid $2400 for a 205 and the 205 on eBay was over this price. Doesn't that give a realistic indication of 205 GTI prices. My car needed a new drivers door and a paint job. It was 4 shades of red since I bought the car. Apart from that it was a complete slightly marked car.

I feel that I made the conditions of the auction clear and the package was a bargain. I was really disappointed when the only offer I had was unrealistic. Next time I think I will make the offer open to the general public and put it on eBay. At least then I may get some real interest.

BTW

- The 16V engine and disc brake rear end will be going on eBay shortly. Aussie frogs classifieds has caused too much grief.

- I have a BX 16V coming up for sale soon. I will come with spare seats, doors, engine, gearbox bonnet, tailgate, starter motors, alternators. Basically the car with all the BX parts I have. I will not accept offers from the guy who said he was looking for a BX 16V and never bothered replying to my offer of the car. I didn't specify a price just said it was available.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'm going to come back to this later tonight

too much to ask/list at this point
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information