307 getting stuck in Park
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 307 getting stuck in Park

Hi there,

Advertisement

Looking for some advice or suggestions to solve the following -

My 2005 Peugeot automatic 307 gets stuck in park when I switch the ignition on or return it to park after selecting a gear Note: Foot brake is always fully depressed.

The car just won't release the gear stick... I have to jiggle the gear stick, pump the foot brake for anywhere from 1 to 5 mins, sometimes even restart the car before it budges.

I have spent $000s with a Peugeot Dealer mechanic who has:
    • Replaced the main brake pedal switch
    • Cleaned & Lubricated the gear selector
    • Replaced the Multifunction Switch

All of which has not fixed it... the problem eventually returns. Occurring occasionally at first, before every time for longer and longer.

Needless to say, I am now getting desperate to identify the true source of this problem. The Pug is a great car... I just need to find an answer to this. Before it drives me nuts.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Fellow Frogger!

1. Isn't there an electronic locking mechanism inside the gear selector on the floor? I'd be checking that.

2. There is usually a way to manually release the lever out of park - ask the service department. Usually it involves sticking a paper clip or some implement into a hole in/near the T-bar lever...(to release the lock) - I'm not sure about on 307's, mine is manual.

3. see this thread for clues about brake light switch. Dud / maladjusted brake light switches are common on 307s it seems. The fact that yours has been replaced doesn't mean it was adjusted properly when installed - they look like a "drop in replacement" but in fact they need to be adjusted to each car - see in this post:
    307 brake switch

Tadpole

Default Re: 307 getting stuck in park

Thanks... Will give some of these ago and let you know how I've gone.

Fellow Frogger

I'm not sure about the 307, but it probably uses the same bits that Citroen uses to do the same thing. You might look in the Citroen forum for the stuck in park issue in C5 models of the same period. It usually comes down to either the brake switch (intermittent) or the detent pin having broken (permanent fault). In some cases, the circuit for the solenoid itself may be damaged.

Thread Information