405 rear drum brake (Bendix) adjuster
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 rear drum brake (Bendix) adjuster

Hi All,
    I am quite alarmed by the adjuster mechanism for the Bendix rear drum brakes on the 405 SRDT series 2. Recently, while overhauling the brakes, I noted that the left rear adjuster was missing the tab which contacts the adjuster sprocket wheel. I have tried to get another one, but it is proving to be difficult. For the interim, I have adjusted up the brakes manually, and "pinged" the left abjuster with a punch so that it cannot back off. For now the brakes are fine, but I need to get another adjuster. I thought all would be solved with 2 wrecks available for parts. When I removed the rear drums on these cars, it turned out they had the same problem...the tabs were also missing. It seems to me this is an inherent flaw, and I suspect that other SRDT (as well as some petrol models with rear drums) owners are having the same problems....rear brakes not auto adjusting, to the point that the hand brake almost becomes useless. Can anyone shed a bit more light on this... why it's happening, what's the solution etc? Appreciate any thoughts!
    Cheers
    Simon W

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Brake adjusters..

Have sympathy, which won't help...

Try Brakeland, as I suspect they stock all the relevent bits for the bendix and lucas brakes.

See also 505 wagon rear brakes.

Best of luck,

Bruce.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your reply Bruce, I will give them a call. You also referred to 505 wagon rear brakes...couldn't find what you're referring to (I have a 505 wagon); is this a thread here?
    Regards
    Simon

Give French Connection a bell?

You might also find parts from another car as suitable.

I once found myself unable to get new brake shoes for an R21 (and didnt want rebonded) - so I bought the adjusters/hardware for a 405SRDT from a wrecker and fitted 405 shoes - the drums were identical dimensions and the back plate compatible.

I think I sold those 405 adjusters on to someone a while back when I refitted R21 hardware to that car though... I'll have a look in the parts collection next week and if you're really lucky I'll have a little bag with what you're after in it, but don't hold your breath.

What I can supply is a set of R21 shoes with matching springs and adjusters which should fit your car - if you get completely stuck.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 drum brakes

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply...I appreciate the effort. As it happens, the left secondary cable for the handbrake has also just snapped. I'm quite surprised at how lightweight and thin the cable is...nothing like the 505 cables! Did you find that you had similar problems with your brake adjusters, I assume you have a 405 that had the Bendix type rears? Also interested in the conversion you mentioned. I was thinking of, next time, switching to them over to Girling, but not sure if the backing plate's the same...I prefer the Girling adjusters and hardware, as they seem much more sturdy. The thing is, the rear brakes will (should) last several years before they will need overhauling again, so for the meantime, I will need to chase down a Bendix adjuster.
    Regards and, thanks again,
    Simon

Fellow Frogger!

Default Oops..my mistake

I just reread your reply and see that you have an R21, not a Pug405, so please disregard my question about Girlings. I assume form your reply that the Bendix adjuster mechanism you replaced was the same as what's used on the 405; did you have similar problems as those described in my original thread?
    Regards
    Simon

It's a finer tooth on the adjuster wheel on the Reno, but all the same design. Never had real trouble with either type to be honest... Sometimes they wouldnt self adjust properly and had to be helped though.

Fellow Frogger!

I had the same bit go missing from my right rear drum and recently got the part from the chap currently wrecking 2 405SRDTs on ebay, Ben is his name and he'll not mind if I pass on his email: [email protected] - he should have the left side adjuster available as I only bought the RHS. I think I offered him around $20 for it - he'd never been inside the drums before, so now he knows how to remove them! Nice chap, very helpful. I once got a quote on the part from Peugeot but the only way you can get it new was in a spring/adjuster kit for $255 per wheel. That's without shoes or slave cylinder....eeek!
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1994 405 SRDT white - (free to a good home, unreg. & needs injector pump re-fitting)
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2007 Citroen C5 Hdi Wagon
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    non-sequitur - 1951 Hudson Pacemaker brush-painted matt black!

Fellow Frogger!

Default adjuster

Thanks for that, but it was Ben's cars that I am referring to, they both had the same prob with the LHS adjusters. I've recently seen new sets on ebay (UK), includes shoes and adjusters both sides, for about $100 Aus (plus postage), if my memory serves me right. Just a shame I didn't know that was the problem before I brought new shoes etc here.

Thread Information