405 diesel alternator troubles
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 diesel alternator troubles

Oh dear, battery light has started flickering in the last couple of days and this morning on the way to work was positively bright whenever I eased off the throttle.

A quick check of voltages shows a distinct lack of charge from alternator once the engine is running. Read as 12v's engine off and slightly less after glowing engine to start (and took 3 goes to start, bugger)

I'm guessing worn brushes or something more sinister (perhaps a frazzled diode). I repaired/overhauled a few as a 1st year apprentice sparky nearly 30 years ago but they were usually just plonked on my work bench.

Any tips and tricks from those in the know in getting this baby out and performing a little backyard surgery or am I up for a replacement alternator?

Cheers,

PS I'm on the NW coast of Tassie and don't know of any wreckers to scavenge from with little Pugs.

Advertisement

Flickering will be worn brushes replace brushes or complete voltage regulator .
    have a look some times they wear croocked and be straighten up while you locate replacements.
    Voltage should be 13.5 to 14.4v when running .
    cheers from the North Island {nsw}.
    John t.

Had a quick look after work tonight, wheel off, inner guard out, locked spring loaded pulley, slackened off tensioner pulley and then went to disconnect the wires from the alternator (battery disconnected at this point) and spotted that the smaller terminal post was/had been rubbing on the metal line (pipe) to the power steering pump and worn through the rubber cap.

As it was getting dark, I called it quits for the night and thought I might peruse the haynes book and see if there might be a fuse I've popped........fingers crossed.

What are my chances of a simple fix here???????

Thanks pekay49 and cprrw132

Chance of a qiuck fix from this point are good. Especially since you have done the work getting the car up and the area clear for work. I would say brushes are the culprit as you have a flicker, and these aren't expensive. Having said that a pick-a-part wrecker would probably supply an alternator for similar money if you could find one.
    I don't like the rubbing through insulation though, if it is a high pressure PS line my recollection of these is they are a PITA as they are so rigid. I wonder what caused it to shift?
    1968 Renault 10
    1977 Mercedes Benz 300D

OK. Problem solved.

The reason the alternator was rubbing on the power steering pipe was due to the fact that a bolt was missing from the bracket that locks the alternator in position and by the looks of it had been missing for some time or not fitted at all. Its at the rear of the bracket under the power steering pump, obscured from view.

From the looks of things, the bottom bolt has been done up extremely tight but a crack has recently appeared around the bolt causing it to slowly allow the alternator to rotate and short out on the smaller of the wires on the alternator.

I repositioned it and put everything back together again (after checking fuse 28) and all is back to normal, even getting 14.4v out of the regulator.

Now the only thing is, I couldn't get a bolt into the bracket to secure it into place. Ah well, a quick job for my mechanic.

At the moment, the alternator will slowly rotate and touch the radiator tank. I won't tell you my bandaid solution, but lets just say it involves a small length of timber and a couple of wire ties. Should get me through to Thursday morning fingers crossed.

Thanks to all contributors.

Tadpole

Default 405 Diesel Alternator

Alternators are a bit hard to come by but you can adapt a Bosch BXF 1260 (off an EL Falcon) by just grinding a fraction off the bottom bracket. It will fit perfectly and do the job (108amps) . Minor change to the wiring at the alternator- you have to fit a female plug to the smallest wire (warning light wire that plugs into the L connector on the voltage regulator). Bosch parts are much easier to come by than the Valeo stuff.

Thanks, thats handy for me and others to know.

From what I can gather, going original could work out to be quite costly.

I'm all good at this stage.

Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Default new alternator

was quoted $450 a couple of years ago ,the power steer hose was a little loose and had filled it with oil he wasnt impressed,had it re built cost me $250.same day . the slip rings were almost non existent ,the old guy who did it replaced them with stainless

1000+ Posts

Default That same bracket

Has just broken on my wifes 405 srdt ,alternator is up against the rad header tank , im not game to drive it Home ,have parked it till the morning ,when i will slip the belt off ,could have cut the belt, but didnt know how i would go getting a replacement on saturday ,remembered this post but can see no result was posted ,i will have to make something up i think ,PUGS

Belts are easy to get. Any auto shop should have them.
    I don't understand why a broken bracket means you would have to cut a belt though.
    1968 Renault 10
    1977 Mercedes Benz 300D

Default Got one in South Tweed

A couple of years ago when a big strip peeled off mine on the freeway just South of the tunnel on the highway, I cut the offending flap off with my pocket knife, then I limped (terrifying at 80k on the 110k highway) to Cheepa at S Tweed, they ONLY charged about $56 for a belt. I got home to Bruns before changing it.

Default another thing..

When my alternator light started just glowing ever so gently recently I found no alternator output, so spent a couple of days getting the old one out and a couple of hours getting a fresh one in. Discovered what Haynes neglected to mention is that one needs to remove the steering pump; (then discovered the old alt saturated with oil); and that hidden /buried /obscured bolts needed ratchet spanners. Luckily I had a spare from a donor, I did wonder where all the oil came from, and whether it was the cause of the demise.

These things were not designed to be easily repaired. Try taking the sump off and you'll soon see what I mean.
    1968 Renault 10
    1977 Mercedes Benz 300D

1000+ Posts

Default all sorted

i was considering cutting the belt as i could then drive it home without any danger of cracking the rad ,,i went down saturday morning pushed it up on the footpath and in no time had the belt off and alternator pushed back ,had a good chuckle as my wife said she couldnt drive it without steer ,the strap is made of 2 bits of thin metal side by side , both of which had been cracked 3/4 through for some time ,,took it off and welded at home .no probs PUGS

Default thin metal straps

Mine had three straps, seemed in perfect nick.

1000+ Posts

Default Three strap model

Maybe mine was built on a friday or was the lightweight model ,just wanted to add that when the strap broke allowing the alternator to go forward the now slack belt was flapping about ,causing a jackhammer effect on the plastic rad header tank,PUGS

Hi all,

OP here. A couple of months after replacing the bolt my brackets (2) also snapped right through. Being on days off and not having access to a welder I fabricated a replacement out of a piece of scrap I had laying around.

Something I did notice when I installed the replacement bracket was very poor alignment of the bracket when I did up the original offending bolt, so much so in fact that I had to pack it out with a washer or two so as not to put it under too much stress.

Not sure if this caused by the crack in the bottom alternator bolt hole or not but have repaired the originals and carry them around in the boot just in case.

Interesting to note that I'm still using the original belt and all seems good so far. (have read horror stories of belts breaking when the tension is let off then put on again. Fingers crossed)

Pugwash, I'm running with the lightweight sporty version

Cheers

Thread Information